Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Grr...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pinecone70
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  4:53:39 PM  Show Profile Send pinecone70 a Private Message
I finished an entire raglan sleeve for my cardigan and then realized I missed an entire repeat of the pattern. Very disappointed in the way patterns are written, with all the cryptic increases and *2(0,4,4,3)* format! I suppose my attention span is also to blame?

I've managed to find three positive things about this situation:
1) the yarn is Cotton Fleece, which has no memory of being completely unravelled
2) the unravelling was done in two seconds on my ball-winder
3) I suppose this project will now take me through the weekend, during which I had no previous activities planned and would be pondering a new project.

So, as you can see, all is not lost. I am so frustrated that I think I will just retype all the patterns I use in the future, with appropriate sizes. At least that way I will have proofread the instructions so I can note those annoying little things I discover after the fact.
GRR...

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  7:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
I understand your frustration! For sweaters or patterns that require repeats, I like to copy the pattern so that I can scribble on it and highlight the instructions for my size. I also keep a notepad with the repeats or increase/decrease rows marked with arrows that I check as I get to them (I have many WIP so I need to keep track of where I stopped...)

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  8:15:27 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
Somewhere I've got one of those peg things that lets you keep track of rows, increases, pattern repeats all at the same time. You're great as long as you remember to move the pegs and the pegs don't fall out, which has happened on more than one occasion.

Anne

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  10:51:10 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

I also find it easier if your knit both sleeves at the same time, as then it is easier to fix up and you don't have to frog the whole thing out.

Just a thought.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  05:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I'm like Rose, I like to knit both sleeves at the same time. I also copy the page or rewrite just the pattern with only my pattern size on it.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

CraftyGrammy
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  06:40:32 AM  Show Profile Send CraftyGrammy a Private Message
I also always knit both sleeves at the same time. Why I never thought to copy the instructions and mark my size, I will never know. "Duh"............. I usually use the large post it paper and stick it to my pattern booklet to keep track.

CraftyGrammy
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  06:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
This is why when I wrote my newest pattern, I did it in a vertical format. SO much easier to read!

Amanda Takes Off... and
Amanda Knits

Only you can decide how tongue in cheek I am.
Go to Top of Page

pinecone70
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  07:04:25 AM  Show Profile Send pinecone70 a Private Message
I'm just glad I only had one sleeve to dissolve back into a yarn ball. Happily, the new sleeve is on the needles, two inches long already. I wrote the instructions out in a notebook the way I would have them written to begin with, then I mark incs/decs off with hash marks. I would have charted it all out, but just want to knit more than chart. These are wide sleeves and I don't use circular needles unless I absolutely have to (air travel is a good example) because I loathe them. It's all sort of a blessing in disguise, since I'll be trapped indoors all weekend as it's supposed to soar above 100F in MN.
Go to Top of Page

Expat2
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  07:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Expat2's Homepage Send Expat2 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by abt1950

Somewhere I've got one of those peg things that lets you keep track of rows, increases, pattern repeats all at the same time. You're great as long as you remember to move the pegs and the pegs don't fall out, which has happened on more than one occasion.

Anne

Knit long and prosper

I had one of those once. Turned out to be really annoying with pegs falling out etc.

Funny thing was when I was using it BIL asked about it and I commented it was like a cribbage board. Turns out that he was the only one in the family his mother never taught how to play cribbage.
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  6:24:36 PM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message
I've found that it's easier for me to mark the increases ON THE GARMENT with one of those Clover plastic safety pin markers. It makes it eaasier to sew up the sleeve seam too, simply by maching the increase points.
Go to Top of Page

pinecone70
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  5:42:34 PM  Show Profile Send pinecone70 a Private Message
Well, that didn't go very well.
I ended up winding the entire cardigan back into yarn and I feel pretty good about it. I think perhaps I will use my imagination and design my own sweater now. Didn't like the neck shape after all, it would be constantly falling off my shoulders!
Things I've learned:
*Yes! My Clover safety pin type-markers are excellent for marking increases.
*I will be rewriting all patterns from now on, especially pesky magazine patterns that have 'reverse shaping for other side' written in them.
*Patterned raglan sleeves flatter not.
*I will invest in Cotton Fleece again, since it looks like new again and nobody would ever know I used it and unwound it again!
*Am tempted to drill some holes in a piece of wood to develop a pegboard type of row marker, to be used with Post-Its for interchangable pattern fun.
*It's a good thing I have a sense of humor.
It is a very good thing I haven't had to go outside at all, it's a hundred degrees out there.
Go to Top of Page

SheBer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
421 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  6:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheBer's Homepage Send SheBer a Private Message
You also have a great attitude. I think I'd be stewing that I was re-doing instead of contemplating the new project. Good for you!

SheBer
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?