Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Flying to and from Mexico
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sarafrog
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  2:47:19 PM  Show Profile Send sarafrog a Private Message
I flew to Mexico in April and had no trouble on the way there (was knitting socks magic-loop style on sz 1 circulars) but ran into problems on the way back. The security staff at the airport in Mexico would not allow the needles in my carry-on. Fortunately, I had not been separated from my suitcase yet so I was able to put them away rather than have them confiscated. A friend of mine flew to a different part of Mexico more recently and also had no problems on the way there but she had her small crochet hook confiscated in the Mexican airport on her way back to the US.

sandlover
Warming Up

96 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  10:12:05 AM  Show Profile Send sandlover a Private Message
We went thru the Cancun airport in April and had no troubles at all with having knitting needles in my carry on.
Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  6:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
I had big problems in Cancun this spring with my bamboo dpn's.I had socks on the needles in my carry on bag.A young (Mexican)woman in line ahead of me had a kit with nail scissors,file,and clippers.The security people opened it,looked at it qucikly,and handed it back to her witha smile!Then they x-rayed my bag, pulled the sock out,held it up,stared at me for a few seconds,then ripped the needles out of the sock in progress, and finally handed it all back to me and waved me through.
I was glad I was allowed to keep my knitting and needles.
Never encountered anything like this in my years post-911 of travelling internationally with my knitting.
Lisa

Latest sock pattern-Penllyn Socks
http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com
Knitting photos-http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer

Go to Top of Page

sarafrog
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  11:22:59 AM  Show Profile Send sarafrog a Private Message
Apparently, procedures vary quite a bit in Mexico and it sounds like it depends on the individual security person you're dealing with. I guess it's best just to be prepared for anything. I have always taken a SASE (padded, of course) with me when flying with knitting but haven't had to use it, yet. I have to say, though, that I haven't found anywhere more beautiful for knitting than a shaded flagstone patio overlooking a beach in Mexico.
Go to Top of Page

eae1969@yahoo.com

USA
Posted - 08/04/2006 :  12:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Send eae1969@yahoo.com a Yahoo! Message Send eae1969@yahoo.com a Private Message
I have been traveling to Mexico 3-4 times a year for work (plant visits) for the past couple years. I always travel with my Denise needles (I only take the size tips I need, and a couple of the cables in case I need to extend them). During my last visit in May, I had no problems entering Mexico, but on my return trip the security lady confiscated my scissors! She told me they could cut someone. Huh??? LADY THEY'RE CRAYOLA CHILDREN'S ROUND TIP SCISSORS AND THEY WON'T HARM EVEN A BABY! I explained to her in Spanish what I needed them for, but she confiscated them anyway. They only cost me $1, but still it made me mad.

Happy Knitting!
Ericka
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.