Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Entrelac & Holes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Boondoggled
Chatty Knitter

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  08:16:19 AM  Show Profile Send Boondoggled a Private Message
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if holes in entrelac are normal. Mine are occurring when I pick up the stitches to start a new square. If it's normal, I won't frog it, but if someone knows a way to fix this, then I'm all ears!!

Thanks in advance,

Tanya

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  10:59:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
They are normal, because you're stretching the stitches when you pick them up and knit them. I found twisting the stitches when I picked them up and knit them helped enormously.

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

Vegasknitter@aol.com
Warming Up

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  11:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vegasknitter@aol.com's Homepage Send Vegasknitter@aol.com a Private Message
Tanya

I'm glad you asked that! I'm currently working on my lady eleanor stole and I'm having the same problems.

Wendy

I started a blog www.vegasknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol in Maine
Chatty Knitter

208 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  4:29:47 PM  Show Profile Send Carol in Maine a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by kadiddly

I found twisting the stitches when I picked them up and knit them helped enormously.

"Twisting the stitches"- what is this? I just saw it in Elizabeth Zimmerman's hint for doing a mitten thumb. She has you knit 7 stitches in a separate yarn at the base of thumb and then pick them up later. After getting 13 stitches in all she says to "twist the stitches" at the ends to avoid holes. Does this mean knitting into the back of the stitches?

Carol in Maine
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  5:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
Yes, it means to knit into the back of the stitch if the stitch is already seated correctly on the needle. (Or knitting into the front of the stitch if you're like me and aren't always particular about which way the stitch is seated when you pick it up and it turns up backwards.) You'll know if a stitch is seated correctly if the front leg of the stitch is farther to the right on the needle than the back leg. I'm sure there are pictures on the web somewhere.

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?