Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Gifts Received?
 Knitting for a Knitter
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stitching Fool
Chatty Knitter

196 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  09:29:54 AM  Show Profile Send Stitching Fool a Private Message
Hi,

I need a bit of advice:

my knitting group includes an expectant (3rd child) woman...I'd love to knit her a blanket for the baby, but she is so much more advanced than me...what to do?

Also, I thought the rest of the group could each knit a square and make a "squares" blanket from all of us.

wondering in NJ

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  09:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
we just did that for a member ( husband and wife members...)
of our spin group, they'd had premie twins
the boy died and they managed to save the girl
so we all knit some squares and gave it to the little girl

vi
ps: some squares were just garter stitch so the new knitters had parts to do
and I did the candle tree...... the center square

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

KnittAR
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  10:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnittAR's Homepage Send KnittAR a Private Message
I think that the idea of everyone knitting a square is great! A knitter would appreciate all of the work that went into it, and as a surprise it would be wonderful. I would love that, but no more babies are coming to our house!!
I also sometimes worry about giving knitting to someone who also knits, in case it isn't good enough. People who care about you would love something hand made by you, regardless.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....But by the moments that take our breath away."

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  11:33:07 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Stitching Fool your group idea sounds wonderful. I think any knitter would be thrilled to have a newborn wrapped up in the kind wishes of kindred souls.

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  1:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
The group idea does sound great. I'm sure she'd love it!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

goldiegirl
Seriously Hooked

611 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  2:40:04 PM  Show Profile Send goldiegirl a Private Message
I think the group blanket idea sounds lovely. And if you want to make a little something yourself, as well, don't worry that your friend is a more accomplished knitter. I'm sure she will treasure anything you make - knowing as only a knitter does the thought and effort that is put into a handknit object.

With two children already, she may not have time to knit the new baby many things, so anything will probably be much appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

Stitching Fool
Chatty Knitter

196 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  06:33:16 AM  Show Profile Send Stitching Fool a Private Message
I knew I could count on good advice here...Thanks so much! I'll tell the group so we could plan...and (yay) shop for yarn.

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  10:22:27 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
>.I'd love to knit her a blanket for the baby, but she is so much more advanced than me...what to do?<

Speaking as a knitter with almost 60 years of experiene, I would be totally honored to receive a knitting gift, even if the knitter could only do garter stitch. Trust me on this one. The better a knitter she is, the more she will appreciate your work.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  07:28:31 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Don't worry about how your knitting ability vs your friend's ability. I'm sure she will love anything that you knit.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  07:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
Another voice saying she will love the gift, even if it is made simply. I just knitted a baby blanket for my friend Anna, who also knits. She loves it. Many knitters make gifts for other people but never receive hand-knitted gifts themselves. We should give each other more knitting.

Support our Yarniversal charities: http://www.cafepress.com/yarniversalcult
http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
http://www.crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

SheBer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
421 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  07:56:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit SheBer's Homepage Send SheBer a Private Message
It's great that she is a knitter, as she will surely appreciate that sweet blanket. When I had my firstborn (19 years ago - yikes!) I received a beautifully knit baby blanket from someone. It was my favorite blanket to use with him, just because the size was so perfect and it was so soft. NOW I look back and totally appreciate it because of all the work that went into it, too. I didn't fully appreciate that back then, even though I loved it. (Yes, I saved it to pass on one day.)So your knitting friend will have all kinds of reasons to love it, right off the bat.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  09:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I'm a very advanced knitter, and so are many of those who've answered you (Fran is a knitting GURU!!). As they all said, I would be honored beyond belief to be given a handknitted gift from a novice knitter! Even if it were just a baby washcloth, I'd love and treasure it.

Bless you for wanting to do something so sweet.

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

KnitHappens
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  6:13:48 PM  Show Profile Send KnitHappens a Private Message
You know, I love knitting, crafting of all sorts...I appreciate handmade gifts more than anything because of the time, effort and love put into the gift. I think the squares are a totally fabulous idea!! I would cry if my knitting group did something like that for my little one!

Knittin' Mom to 5
edd 11/29
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  5:05:13 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message
I had a boss once who told me you should ONLY knit, crochet, cross-stich, etc for people who know how to do it themselves. THEY are the ones who will most appreciate your gift. Twenty years later, I believe she was right!
Go to Top of Page

abflab
Warming Up

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  6:03:08 PM  Show Profile Send abflab a Private Message
What a great idea for your group to each knit a square. I would love something like that! I'm sure she would, too.
Go to Top of Page

NuttyKnitter101
Chatty Knitter

338 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  8:23:40 PM  Show Profile Send NuttyKnitter101 a Private Message
i agree with hills, most ppl think its cool, but they don't really understand the effort that goes into hand made items. Even if its basic, many "pros" would appreciate anything they were given that hand crafted

Not every Mary in the world has a lamb like mine
Go to Top of Page

roofth
Seriously Hooked

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  10:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit roofth's Homepage  Send roofth a Yahoo! Message Send roofth a Private Message
Earlier this year I participated in two group baby blanket projects, results shown here.

One blanket, everyone knitted up a square with whatever yarn, whatever color, whatever pattern/texture they wanted. Another blanket, we knitted the "Circle of Friends" blanket from the book, "Last Minute Knitted Gifts". It was alot of fun to do something collectively, and I know the mothers-to-be were absolutely thrilled and touched by the handmade group gift (both mothers are knitters).

In anycase, I think it's a GREAT gift idea, and if presented with similar opportunities to do it again, I would!

========================
I've moved!! Ruth's Knits
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.