Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Seeking Patterns / Free Pattern Links
 Sock Patterns
 Vintage Slipper Socks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  1:25:57 PM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message
Does anybody remember the knitted slippers from the 60s and 70s with a ribbed toe and a Pom Pom on top? I remember that it was basically knitted in a rectangle, you pulled the yarn through the toe stitches when you were done and sewed up the back of the heel.

My great aunt taught me to make them when I was young and we were talking about them the other day at work. A friend said that her Grandmother made them for all of the kids in those awful colors that were so popular back then. I'd love to make her a pair out of some nice yarn.

I could probably figure it out with a little trial and error, but thought somebody here might remember the actual pattern.

Thanks in advance,

Linda

"Honey, a man can't keep his gun in a cookie jar. It just isn't done!" - Janet Evanovich

mudpie@thegraphiczone.net
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  10:41:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit mudpie@thegraphiczone.net's Homepage Send mudpie@thegraphiczone.net a Private Message
It sounds like you may be referring to the slippers we learned to knit in "Home Economics" back in the late 60s. I believe we used worsted weight yarn and size 8 needles. Cast on 29 stitches. First row: K9, P1, K9, P1, K9. Second row: Knit across. Repeat those 2 rows for approximately 4.5". Then switch to K1, P1 ribbing until desired length. One or two rows of K2 together. Then sew them up and add your pom pon. If you want a cuffed slipper, add 10 to your cast on and the first row would be: K14, P1, K9, P1, K14. Second row: K4, P1, K29, P1, K4. Bind off 5 stitches at the beginning of the last 2 rows before you begin the ribbing.

Knit someone a scarf and they'll have an accessory; teach someone to knit and they'll be in stitches for the rest of their life.
Go to Top of Page

blr2449
Permanent Resident

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  11:53:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit blr2449's Homepage  Send blr2449 a Yahoo! Message Send blr2449 a Private Message
Try http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/slippers.php

They have a couple that sound like what you're looking for. In fact, I bookmarked some for me, too.

Barbara
http://graniterose.livejournal.com/
If YOU don't talk to your CAT about catnip, who will?
Go to Top of Page

mudpie@thegraphiczone.net
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  1:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit mudpie@thegraphiczone.net's Homepage Send mudpie@thegraphiczone.net a Private Message
I checked out the site you gave the link for and found this one: http://www.designsbykn.com/images/free_patterns/grandmas%20slippers.pdf , which is basically the pattern I mentioned. There are lots of nice slipper patterns to choose from there.

Knit someone a scarf and they'll have an accessory; teach someone to knit and they'll be in stitches for the rest of their life.
Go to Top of Page

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  8:26:31 PM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message
I searched knittingpatterncentral, but searched the socks directory. I must be brain dead, it didn't even occur to me to look for a slippers directory! These slippers are just like what I remember. Thanks for your help,

Linda

"Honey, a man can't keep his gun in a cookie jar. It just isn't done!" - Janet Evanovich
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe