Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 "CATCH DOWN POCKET LININGS"??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

metalmom
New Pal

Japan
9 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  08:12:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit metalmom's Homepage Send metalmom a Private Message

I'm guessing this is a British term? I assume it means to sew pocket linings to the body of the garment. Does anyone know of a good online tutorial on how to do that?

Am concerned about lines being visible on the right side.

www.peachtree.typepad.com

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  10:27:21 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
>Am concerned about lines being visible on the right side.<

I just stitch them down taking my stitches under the purl bumps if it is in stockinette or in the horizontal strands of yarn between columns of knitting. I use the same yarn for sewing that was used for the knitting and it barely if ever shows.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KMangum
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  5:58:46 PM  Show Profile Send KMangum a Private Message
A good method is to use "X" stitches, with a lighter-weight yarn, or even embroidery floss, that matches your color. If you have plied yarn, you can split the plies apart.

I'm right-handed, so I start from the left (lefties start at the right): Secure your yarn in the pocket edge. take a horizontal stitch from R ->L in the pocket bag at the bottom. Then move about 1/2" (or more, depending on scale of things) to the right, and take another stitch from R ->L thru the purl bump just below the pocket. Move up to the pocket bag, another 1/2" away, take another horiz. stitch. Proceed across. Secure your yarn end in the pocket bag.

This style of stitching is used extensively in tailoring. It's flexible, and moves with the body, and there's a lot of yarn/thread to allow for movement. Additionally, by covering the edge of the pocket bag with the legs of the "X's", it makes the bag lie flat against the garment, and reduces snagging on other clothing.

You *don't* have to stitch "around" the knit stitches; you can put your needle *thru* the yarn to reduce show-thru on the right side. Using a lighter-weight to sew down with also reduces the show thru.

Good luck!

- K
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.