Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Seaming Garter Stitch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jayla
Warming Up

96 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  10:15:39 PM  Show Profile Send Jayla a Private Message
Urgh! I've been searching everywhere on the web and can't seem to find how to do an invisible seam for garter stitch when the pieces are lining up like shoulders. Can anyone help me out? I'm actually sewing the sole of a bootie onto the side part of the shoe (Debbie Bliss's Garter Stitch Shoes from "The Baby Knits" book) if that helps to visualize it better.

Thanks!

Jayla

(BTW, my search function on the forum doesn't seem to be working, so my apologies if a similar question has already been posted a million times!)

"I am certain that we were meant to be creative, to make love, to sing and dance and play. Everything else was dreamed up for us." ~~Alice Walker

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  10:41:40 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/mattress.html

Check half way down the page.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Jayla
Warming Up

96 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  6:05:34 PM  Show Profile Send Jayla a Private Message
Thanks, but I was actually looking for a way to bind garter stitch when the pieces are not side by side but more the top of one piece to the bottom of the other. Would the technique be similar?

--Jayla

"I am certain that we were meant to be creative, to make love, to sing and dance and play. Everything else was dreamed up for us." ~~Alice Walker
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  8:56:55 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
I'm not sure what you mean without a picture of your project, but I'm guessing since you're talking about baby bootees where you have a flat part and a side that you are sewing at a 90 degree angle???

I'd say yes, the last three pictures on that site I posted would be the best way to seam the two pieces together. You may have to work in a little easing and that could be tricky, but not impossible.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Jayla
Warming Up

96 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  9:32:11 PM  Show Profile Send Jayla a Private Message
Yes, I am sewing the side to the bottom. The sole kinda curves a little near the toe, but I think I can fudge around it and try to use the pictures as a guide.

Thanks for your help!

Jayla

Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

694 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  03:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
There is excellent information on seaming garter from all angles in Sally Melville's The Knit Stitch. Not a free source, but worth it.

Knit on-

Terri D. in NYC

off jumps jack
Go to Top of Page

MandyWelch
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  03:21:38 AM  Show Profile Send MandyWelch a Private Message
Did you ever figure it out? I am seaming up a bootie as well and I love the design...I just hate how it looks seamed!! The design is such that the cast on edge is folded in half and seamed...this part is the back of the bootie. Pattern can be found here: http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bevs-stay-on-booties.html Since it is garter stitch, I want the ridges to show, but whenever I try to stitch it, the ridges disappear making the seam very obvious. Got any ideas?

Mandy

Mama to Brady (6), Emily (5), Barrett (2) and baby bean due in the Spring :)
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  07:16:00 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
There are directions on my blog. The pictures are poor but you can still get the idea. The pictures are of a blue bootie.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MandyWelch
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  12:24:02 PM  Show Profile Send MandyWelch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fmarrs

There are directions on my blog. The pictures are poor but you can still get the idea. The pictures are of a blue bootie.

fran

Thank you for leading me to your site. The pictures seem to be of the top part of the bootie where garter is seamed horizontally. I tried your baseball stitch on the back and when tightened, it didn't tuck under. Am I just the most dense seamer in the world?! LOL! I can't "seam" to get it right [:00]

Mandy

Mama to Brady (6), Emily (5), Barrett (2) and baby bean due in the Spring :)
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  6:33:11 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
>I tried your baseball stitch on the back and when tightened, it didn't tuck under.<

If it doesn't tuck under, there was probably too much fabric in each stitch. Try sewing it a little closer to the edge of the knitting. There should never be more than 2 strands of yarn in each stitch, maximum.

fran

Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  06:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Jayla, I hope you got the help you needed.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.