Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Ideal Knitting Bag
 amy butler patterns for knitting bag
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

manika
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  10:34:42 AM  Show Profile Send manika a Private Message
has anyone used amy butler patterns? i was looking at a couple of them for a knitting bag. there's the "ULTIMATE ARTS & CRAFTS TOTE" which looks a little complicated for my sewing skill level, and the "MADISON BAGS" which look long enough to hold 14" needles. see her other patterns here: http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/products/patterns_top.php

www.highstrungyarns.wordpress.com

mtdortiz@hotmail.com
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  7:54:56 PM  Show Profile Send mtdortiz@hotmail.com a Private Message
I'm an intermediate sewer, and I'm intrigued by her patterns. I haven't sewn any of hers yet. I'm working on an Indygo Junction bag, the Carpetbag, which is pretty easy. You might want to check out this website which reviews sewing patterns.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/

Good luck.
Maria
Go to Top of Page

manika
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  09:13:17 AM  Show Profile Send manika a Private Message
thanks for the tip! the bag you're working is really cute and it looks like a perfect size for a knitting bag. are you making it stiff? i worry about needles poking through the fabric.

www.highstrungyarns.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

mtdortiz@hotmail.com
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  10:07:12 AM  Show Profile Send mtdortiz@hotmail.com a Private Message
I'm using upholstery fabric for the outside and inside and fusible fleece interfacing, so it will be thick and needles won't poke through. I'm also adding pockets on both sides of the lining and one on the outside. I'm also going to treat the fabric with Scotchgard to make it a little water resistant. It seems like the only things I use my sewing skills for are Halloween costumes and knitting bags.
Maria
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  6:36:21 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message
I haven't used Amy Butler's patterns, but I LOVE her wild fabrics. Also Michael Miller's fabrics, and Kaffe Fassett's, too. I've made many purses using these quilter's-weight fabrics. Here's a few tips on getting them to have enough 'body' to stand up (and HOLD up).

I interface the outer layer of fabric with fusible fleece. A little bit of stitching or free-motion quilting will keep them together.

I interface the lining with fusible knit interfacing. It is enough to give it body, without being stiff.

Straps are much sturdier when fabric is folded around 1 inch nylon web.

There are more fabric options when you can go into quilt shops for your fabric, rather that just decorator-weight fabrics. Use a bag you have as a pattern, or for a starting point. I've made dozens of purses and taught a class, too. Every one is different and unique.
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  06:04:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
I have actually made the Madison Downtown bag. http://jscape.com/httpfileuploadapplet/purchase.html

The patterns are fairly easy but mine turned out a bit small. Also, I added a cardboad bottom to my bag and that made a world of difference.

bonnie

Check out my blog:
Tropical Knits
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

orangina
Seriously Hooked

821 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  09:20:34 AM  Show Profile Send orangina a Private Message
I just ordered a couple of the Amy Butler patterns and some fabric from purlsoho.com. They had several of her fabrics on SALE!!! I got the Covington bag and the Madison bag patterns.

It's so neat to see how folks in the blogosphere have sewn up these bags!
Go to Top of Page

orangina
Seriously Hooked

821 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  12:51:52 PM  Show Profile Send orangina a Private Message
Good grief, I just have to add ~~ I placed my order at purlsoho on Monday, and my order arrived today - Wednesday! I'm amazed! This was just with the regular shipping option. Patterns and fabrics as cute as can be. Fabrics very nicely wrapped in tissue. I'm impressed!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe