Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Converting flat to circular - please help
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  12:06:59 PM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message
I don't know what I am doing wrong(I never attempted flat to circ conversion before). [crazy] [**]

I am trying [crazy] to convert the Rib and Braid Pattern from A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns by B.Walker, pg.201.
I have followed the author's suggestions re. such conversions on pg.xxix of Introduction (or at least I think I did), and it still doesn't work. I can see the pattern forming partially, but I get 'funny' purl stitches where there shouldn't be any. Row 1 and 3 (and maybe 2) seem to be especially problematic (in terms of "screwing up" the stitches alltogether, not just funny purls). I tried to put knit sts where I get those funny purls, but that made it even worse. I even thought that the pattern may have an error in it, but it works fine in flat knitting. Hmm Would some of you more experienced knitters be able to help me? It is a really cool pattern and I'd love to use for a winter hat.

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

691 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  12:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
Solaris--I haven't knit it, but here's how I read it:

First of all, since you're knitting in the round, you don't need the "plus 3" stitches at the beginning of the row. Just cast on a multiple of 18.

Rows 1 & 3 are the wrong side, so you need to reverse: k2, p2, k2, p3.

Row 2 is the right side, so knit exactly as you see it.

Hope this helps!

Terri D. in NYC

off jumps jack
Go to Top of Page

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  5:06:07 PM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message
That does not work. I mean, it works until 4th row, but once I start on row 4, everything goes astray. It is not the overall st count, it is the way actual sts fall in the pattern (or lack of thereof ). Anyway, since the pattern is not really symmetrical, the author says to reverse not only k for p sts, but also their order, eg. instead of 1,2,3,4, you'd knit in this order 4,3,2,1. Although it gives the closest resemblance to the pattern, it also does not work. [crazy]

Re.extra sts at beg and end of rows (the ones before/after asterisk). I noticed that the 3 extra sts (and thankfully it's always the same number) tend to alternate ie. usually at beg. of odd rows and end of even rows, EXCEPT row 2,10,17,22, etc.,etc. Could this irregularity in occurrence of extra stitches affect this pattern's convertibility to circular? Normally, one ignores the extra sts before/after the asterisk for conversion, but I am just sooooo confused at this point...[crazy][crazy][crazy]
FYI, I did ignore them, just as the author suggested.

Any knitting designers out there that could set me straight on this matter?????????? Aaaaaaaargh! I've been at it for 2 days now.[**]
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  5:20:19 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
I've had this same problem and what I have found is that I have to sit down with some graph paper and chart it out. I think that she does recommend that for tricky patterns.

I usually chart out about 3 repeats of the basic pattern to find where the best repeat is that I can use it for knitting in the round. Some patterns are easy to work out but with others I have had to add stitches here and there to make things come out right. It's a messy business for sure.

I think she says that the ones that have same number of beginning stitches before the asterisk are the easiest to adapt but of course, those are never the ones I want!
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  7:51:01 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
if those 3 stitches aze not exactly the same on EVERY row, then yes, they are part of the pattern.
You can often figure out what's going on with a complex pattern by isolating the K side rows. For working in the round, follow the pattern for the odd number rows and then knit the knit and purl the purl stitches as they present themselves on the even rows.
Much of the time this will work and let you get a better handle on how the pattern works..
Lin
Go to Top of Page

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  4:17:06 PM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message
OK, I DID IT [crazy] !!! Converted the darn pattern, that is. [:00]

Thank you all for your suggestions . I manually charted the pattern and it made ALL the difference. Mind you, it was still complicated, but it let me see where the pattern deviated from the norm. Some of the repeat rows were actually shifted, which made it hard to just discard the extra stitches before/after asterisk - yes, they were sometimes a part of the actual repeat itself. So I actually cut up my chart and spliced it here and there and it absolutely WORKS, ha!!! I swatched it already and it looks like it should.
Funny thing is, the pattern itself is soooooo simple, but the chart conversion is NOT.

Thanks again. I am so happy it finally worked.

Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

691 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  4:56:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
Congrats, Solaris (sorry I wasn't much help before)! Now knit that hat.

Terri D. in NYC

off jumps jack
Go to Top of Page

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  8:33:34 PM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message
Swatching with the actual project yarn as we speak.
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  1:51:47 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
I had to trot down the hall, get my Treasury II, page 201, and see the pattern. I, too, love it and had marked it as one to use in the future.

I'll have to print all this out since I only knit in the round.

Margie
Go to Top of Page

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  6:53:02 PM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message
Let me tell you, Margie, this pattern looks really neat in the round. The hat is done and looking interesting. The reverse side also looks kind of 'wicked'.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe