Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Dyeing Basics
 Dyeing fleece
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sugarpants
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  12:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sugarpants's Homepage Send Sugarpants a Private Message
Can anyone recommend a good online guide to dying fleece--or do you proceed basically as you might for roving/top? I have some freshly-washed fleece I'd like to dye and I'm not sure where to start.

I've been told dying fleece before carding is a must. I'm hoping to dye, then card and make layered batts.

Speaking of which, anyone know a good online guide to making batts?

(As you can see, I'm clueless but optimistic. I just ordered a few books on dying & one on fiber prep, but who knows when they'll get here and I've got ants in my pants!)

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2345 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  09:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
There are lots of ways to dye fleece, from pots on the stove, to microwaving in pans or freezer ziploc bags, to canning jars and crock pots. My favorite way, which has never resulted in any felting, regardless of the breed of wool, is turkey roaster dyeing. I can do up to about 1 pound at a time, and get great colors. There is a blog out there that has good step-by-step instructions, but I don't remember which one it is and lost a lot of bookmarks in my move. You can google "turkey roaster dyeing" and I'm sure it will come up. The roasters themselves are very reasonable, I bought mine at Target for around $20.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sugarpants
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  11:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sugarpants's Homepage Send Sugarpants a Private Message
Thanks, Shelia! I actually have one of those roasters--maybe I can buy a second pan for it, and use it for dyeing as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe