Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 ADD and the 2nd sock!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LaurieAdlerAnderson
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  11:04:01 AM  Show Profile Send LaurieAdlerAnderson a Private Message
Why is it that one sock is so much easier to complete than the second one? I don't think I can use all the one-socks as Xmas tree ornaments! Anyone else have this dilemma?

Out of every 10 people polled, 14 prefer chocolate!--Sandra Boynton

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  11:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
This is one of the many reasons that knitting both socks at once, either with ML or two circs (or, if you insist, on two sets of DPNs) is so fantastic. Try it!

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos, WIPs and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  11:18:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message
Laurie, most sock knitters face this dilemma, which many refer to as "Second Sock Syndrome." Molly's suggestion of knitting both at the same time works for lots of people, and for others the only way to deal with it is to cast on the second sock within five minutes of ending the first. Since I prefer to use the same set of DPNs for both socks, I fall into the second group.

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  12:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I have 2nd sock syndrome so I learned to knit 2 at the same time on circs. It solved this issue for me.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

SheBer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
421 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  8:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheBer's Homepage Send SheBer a Private Message
Or - you could spread out your second socks. I have tried this and it helps. I knit the first sock in a yarn. Then go to my next sock yarn and knit a first sock. Sometimes I even go to a third yarn and knit a first sock. Then I go back to the first yarn and knit the twin. Head to the second sock and knit that twin. Then finish with the twin to the third sock. All of a sudden (ok, not all that suddenly....) I have three pairs done.

If you knit on DPN's, you could also knit them at the same time with a second set of needles. Knit the cuff on the first, then the cuff on the second, then the heel on the first, then the heel on the second, etc. I tried that too. But I like spreading out the "second socks" better.

Sheri
www.theloopyewe.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingbuzz
Permanent Resident

USA
1122 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  03:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittingbuzz's Homepage Send knittingbuzz a Private Message
I'm like Sheri, I use to sets of dpn's and do one section at a time for each sock, this way it doesn't feel like you are repeating the same process when starting the second sock.

No more ADD for you!

Krista

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't .... you are right."
-Henry Ford

2006 FO 18 WIP 4
Go to Top of Page

knitloon
Gabber Extraordinaire

524 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  06:09:32 AM  Show Profile Send knitloon a Private Message
I always cast on the second sock immediately upon completing the first!

View my projects at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knitloon/
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  06:47:16 AM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
Why not make the second sock first?

pieheart, running away as fast as I can, dodging eggs!

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday----Dale Carnegie
blog: http://museknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  06:51:03 AM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
Seriously, giddy mood aside, I do what Krista does. I enjoy dpns, so ML is not for me. But I do one cuff, then the other, one leg, then the other, then each heel. Afte the heel I just knit the foot and finish, then go to the other one. Works for me.

It also helps for me to have two completely different projects going, when I get tired of a sweater, I'll switch to a sock, and vice versa.

Of course none of this explains why I have two half finished socks in two completely different yarns, patterns, foot sizes, as well as several sweaters OTN, just cast on another sock yesterday. Completion issues? Who? Me?

pieheart

Go to Top of Page

knittingbuzz
Permanent Resident

USA
1122 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  12:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittingbuzz's Homepage Send knittingbuzz a Private Message
Pieheart
[:00] [:00] [:00] [:00] [:00] [:00] [:00] [:00]
You keep me in Stitches.......pun intended.

Krista

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't .... you are right."
-Henry Ford

2006 FO 18 WIP 4
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2670 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  2:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I don't like doing them two at a time, either. I find once I get going on the second one and can see that heel turn on the horizon, I don't mind. It's just the casting on and getting the first few inches done that feels like the big obstacle. It helps when sock knitting is the only "portable" knitting I have going (though in this heat I could hardly imagine working on anything bigger.) Midsummer always gives me startitis as I dream about the big winter projects I want to work on. Kind of like the imaginary garden I have in January... when everything always comes out exactly like it's supposed to!

Luann

Knit and let knit!
This is not a blog:
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  5:42:32 PM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message
This answer is in all seriousness. I think it depends on why you knit socks. I don't have 2nd sock syndrome & never have. I knit socks for the process. Socks are mindless knitting for me. I hardly realize what sock I'm knitting. The only socks I have take forever to finish are the fancy ones.

For the record, I usually use 5 dpns, but sometimes 4. I don't like magic loop, & never manged to get beyond the 2nd round using 2 circulars. I don't really think that has anything to do with it. When I'm in to mood to pay attention to my knitting, I either knit lace shawls or sweaters. I've got lots of fancy stitch pattern sock UFO's!

Life's way too short for sock guilt trips! My suggestion is figure out where you stand on it, & don't waver!

KS
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  05:28:08 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Pieheart, you crack me up. Off to clean up the monitor again.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  06:04:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
quote:
I think it depends on why you knit socks. I don't have 2nd sock syndrome & never have. I knit socks for the process.

I suspect you're right. I'm a project knitter through and through, and when I'm done, I like to be DONE. I'm also the type to weave in ends as I go and so on so that finishing is the necessary bits only, not the stuff you could do earlier in the process.
So, I'm a two-at-once person. But I can almost, sort of, maybe see why someone wouldn't be ;), now.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos, WIPs and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

SheBer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
421 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  1:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheBer's Homepage Send SheBer a Private Message
Piehart - just spit my coffee at the computer screen! (Note to self: shouldn't drink coffee when reading funny posts.) When you tell people that in person, does it take them a minute for it to sink in? :-)

Sheri
www.theloopyewe.com
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  2:39:39 PM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
SheBer, I owe it all to the Little Book of Wrong Shui! (Fun quiz: http://www.funtrivia.com/quizdetails.cfm?quiz=122783)

Actually, I used to love the theatre of the absurd when I was in high school and college, especially Beckett, Pinter and Stoppard. Then I had kids and my brains turned to oatmeal.

pieheart

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  10:06:33 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
After my first two pairs, I went to two socks at once on DPNs. I really didn't want to buy a book or take a class because of the price difference between just buying the extra set of needles. It was the best investment I've ever made, in fact, I've got a bunch of DPNs now. After all, I have several sets of straights and circs of the same size. Socks in Tandem, as BeckaAlways calls it. Good thinking.

lella[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

Come See My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Hanne
Warming Up

Finland
78 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  10:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hanne's Homepage Send Hanne a Private Message
Usually I don't suffer from 2nd sock syndrome. In ideal situation I have two projects on the needles, and after I finish the first sock I knit the other project for a while. When I return to socks, it's like I had never knitted the first one.
But I've found out that Knitting Vintage Socks with those 20.5cm long legs really bug me. Knitting them seems endless! With them, I start tons of new projects to escape from second sock...
Go to Top of Page

dragonsloth
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  05:55:22 AM  Show Profile Send dragonsloth a Private Message
I still knit one sock at a time, and for me the problem with the second sock is that by the time I start it I'm positive I have the pattern memorized when of course I don't. Case in point: I just discovered I'll have to frog several rows of sock #2 because I skipped a row. Ick!

I should learn the 2-sock method...
Go to Top of Page

wabbitmom
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  05:59:34 AM  Show Profile Send wabbitmom a Private Message
I have been a "tandem" sock knitter since starting, but now find myself with 2 almost completed single socks, one on dpns and one on circulars.. and am so suffering from SSS. Since this is my car knitting, I hope I can push through this and have their mates snuggling up next to them soon. One thing's for sure... I WILL NEVER knit a single sock again!!
Go to Top of Page

jessdr
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  06:58:20 AM  Show Profile Send jessdr a Private Message
I'm trying a new technique for dealing with SSS. For the pair I just started, I tried the two-at-once on 2 circulars method and got seriously lost just after casting on. I think I didn't have them oriented properly. What I ended up doing was knitting the toe of one (toe-up) sock, counting the number of stitches, and moving it to a stitch holder. Then I knit the toe of the second sock, and added the first sock back to the needles. With a partially-completed pair of socks as a reference, it was MUCH easier to keep track of where I was when doing the 2 circulars thing. I'm about an inch into the instep, and it's working pretty well.

By the way, there's no reason you can't do two at once on dpns; you just need two sets of needles. If SSS is a big problem for you, and you prefer dpns, it might be worth the couple bucks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?