Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Needles yes, toothpaste no...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  04:13:59 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message
galleylama, I am sorry for the loss of lives on 9/11..and Lockerbie and so many other attacks using planes. I know you have a tough job and lots of responsibility.

Yet, our government has cut back on the security measures that went into effect after 9/11. They have also cut back tremendously on the amount of personnel to provide security. It is as if they have dismissed so much.

Then you have the airlines. I know you work for the industry, and my following comments are not aimed at the working stiffs, but it is aimed at the "top dogs." First, there was the removal of meals during long flights. Then they decided to charge for "snacks" They cram people in like cattle and many times people are treated like it too. The prices are constantly going up and the services are going down. AND they have gotten bail outs over and over by the goverment..aka our (and your) tax dollar...but the "top dogs" seem to have a hard time giving up their salaries and golden parachutes. To me it is a con and dispicable.

Now with the "new" security flap, one does expect a little confusion and knee jerk. OK, no lap tops, etc. Sure! We know what will happen to those laptops in the baggage hold. No water. OK, no water. So I am going to be crammed into a set for 2 or more hours, with many other people who are as miserable as I am...in a very dry environment and the only way to get liquid will be to, probably, buy water at an inflated price. Sure, we can get the water from the taps, but after hearing several reports about the contamination of water on airplanes I would not drink it.

What gets me is the knee jerk reaction. And the govt and the ailines have all these people working for them and they can not think of contingency plans! To deny people of water, unless they want to pay the airline for it is crap. To turn over a lap top to fate in the baggage handling is foolish. How much important data (business, personal, etc) is going to be lost as well as the cost of the computer? Will the airline cover that? Not without a fight, I'm sure.

The airlines pull tricks for the number counters at the top. On time departure...fine. So push the plane away from the gate and let it sit ther for 7 hours while the people are hungry, thirsty and the toilets are overflowing...Northwest, I think it was.

My thing it that peoples health and livelyhood are at risk, not just their comfort. And for the prices we pay, that should definately be a concern. And why?? Because there wasn't a plan in place!

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

scarlet
Chatty Knitter

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  09:52:02 AM  Show Profile Send scarlet a Private Message
I actually got an email from Southwest this morning saying that electronics will be allowed on their flights,(laptops etc) but may be subject to a slightly longer search process before hand.

Always wear your seatbelt. It makes it harder for the aliens to snatch you from your car.
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  3:49:31 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
Somewhere there's got to be a happy medium. I have no objection to increased security and draconian measures about carrying liquids, gels, or even knitting needles on flights. But on the other hand, maintaining hydration on a flight is a health issue. It's been awhile since I've been on a domestic flight, so I don't know how much worse it's gotten in terms of snacks and drinks. But I would hope the airlines had enough decency not to gouge the public by making them pay for water and a basic meal.

Anne

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

dancinggirl77
Warming Up

82 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  5:43:03 PM  Show Profile Send dancinggirl77 a Private Message
I have yet to be on a flight that charges for water. However they will charge for a "meal", which is usually a snack box. The freebies they give are little baggies of cheesy crackers or peanuts or something. I hope that they don't wait too long to start offering water, though. They will need to start passing the cart around pretty soon after take off.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  6:09:10 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I much prefer the quality of food on airplanes now that we have to pay. Not only that but there was so much waste when they just handed the stuff out.

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SweaterGrrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  8:25:30 PM  Show Profile Send SweaterGrrrl a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by galleylama

I for one, am willing to do anything to be safe. My girlfriend was on flight 11 on september 11 - that's something my friends and I will never get over. In my opinion, and I don't mean to sound rude, but- everyone needs to check their attitudes with their luggage these days.

I'm so sorry for your heartbreaking loss. And thank you for putting this into perspective.

That being said, I'm not sure that the "security" measures being taken are making us any safer. Just a few days ago, didn't a plane going from England to US have to turn around when it was discovered there was a passenger on the no fly list when the plane was already half-way across the Atlantic? I thought that "no fly" meant they wouldn't be allowed on the plane in the first place.

Don't get me wrong--I'll wear nothing but a hospital johnny and a pair of socks on my next flight if that would truly help, but how can we anticipate what these evil people will come up with next? They might hide explosive material in their ear wax, for crying out loud. Oops! I hope I haven't given anyone any ideas!

(Re: the comment about the bombs that the Irish set off have never been on planes--I'm guessing you were kidding.)

SweaterGrrrl
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  9:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
I went through both LAX and O'Hare yesterday (Friday), with no unusual hassles whatsoever, other than the no gels in the carry on luggage. So I just don't pack them. It bothers me that I can't bring a sealed water bottle that I bought at the airport on the plane, but whatever. The flight attendants went up and down the aisles at least three times through the course of the three and a half hour flight with giant water bottles and cups for anyone who wanted a drink. I didn't see or hear of any banned electronics other than the standard ones. People still had their laptops and whatnot. I had no problems going through security at all. Really, the only things that were unusual were the much more obvious uniform presence at the airports (military and police) and the fact that the duty-free stores were all closed (nothing to sell that people could take on the plane). I still find it highly ironic that I can't bring my deodorant and lip gloss, but I can bring my US 2 circular sock needles. They'll probably get banned again soon. Oh well. I appreciate that they are trying to keep us safe - believe me, I'm all for safety - and that people should "check the attitude with the luggage" as someone else put it, but I really wish passengers AND security AND the airlines wouldn't check their common sense so much!

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  02:38:12 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message
Thanks for the info kadiddy. I am sooo glad you had a relatively calm trip. And I am glad (very glad!) that the airlines didn't charge for water. I had taken from comments and reports that they were, so I am glad I was in error.

Still, they need to use a little thought before making some of these rules...like you said, "common sense."

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

kidknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  4:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit kidknits's Homepage Send kidknits a Private Message
What is most upsetting about the whole security situation is that NEWSWEEK now reports that only 7% of all cargo on US flights is screened. Does it matter what is in carry-on when 93% of cargo isn't inspected? And this is what all the pasengers are sitting on top of.

http://www.kidknits.biz
http://www.kidknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by