Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 No Yarn for 1-Month Group (Part II)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  10:15:13 AM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Here we are...for those of you who are continuing the group after June 15th...How are we doing this week?

I'll be done with my enormous knitted bedspread cover this week. Plan to start 2 baby blankets next. I liked knitting blankets. It uses up big chunks of my stash at a time and also takes a WHILE to knit through so it keeps my yarn-buying itch under control

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  10:42:09 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
I'm with you, mtchen, ready to tackle another month of control over my Rampant Stashing Disorder. I'm so impressed you've made such headway on that bedspread, good for you. Will you post a picture of it when you're finished?

I did a great deal of sorting and donated a large part of my existing stash and have finished up four WIPs which have lurked about for what seems to be half my life. It feels so good. I have a master plan. I intend to be one of those people who buys the yarn for a project and completes the project before purchasing more yarn. I intend to have no more than three WIPs in progress. Of course, it will take me a bit to get to this point, to diminish my stash down to one project, but I feel I can do this if I don't purchase anymore yarn for quite some time. I'm so glad we're on for another month, it's easier for me when I know there is this group. Knit on!

M L
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2661 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  12:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Exactly one week from today I will be walking into a yarn shop. I'm afraid I might go berserk, toss all the yarn on the floor, and just roll around in it!!!

Aside from this excursion, I plan to try and continue on some type of maintenance plan so that things don't ever get so out of control again. I will allow myself to check Elann, eBay, etc. but no more binge buying!

Tonight I want to felt the two baby balls I knitted from Lopi... of course that's after I finish reading Harry Potter (only 300 pages to go!) I am desperately afraid someone is going to spoil the ending of it before I can finish it up. Wish I was one of those who can knit and read at the same time!

Keep on keeping on, all my NYF1M peeps!
Luann

Go to Top of Page

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  4:24:28 PM  Show Profile Send moxie a Private Message
I want to... I need to... but I can't!!! I can't!!!

I want to make the grass skirt from knitty and a summer purse and a summer sweater...

I'm still in the crescendo phase of my stashing, I'm afraid...

Moxie
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  5:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I'm still hanging in there, but am making plans to go to a fiber/yarn store this weekend. I'll do my best to stay on the wagon. . . maybe I'll be lucky and not like anything there. Right. I'll just keep saying that. Although I could use some more needles; but then, needles USE UP stash and shouldn't count, right? Right??

Dear IRS: I would like to cancel my subscription. Please remove my name from your mailing list.
Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  7:42:03 PM  Show Profile Send M. Shawn a Private Message
I'm still on board but my trip to Sweden set me back in the stash arena. The trunk of my yarn chest won't close again! But, I'm knitting steadily on the yarn I already own and don't plan to buy any more until I finish 3 felted bags, 3 sweaters, 1 hat, 2 scarves and 3 Christmas stockings. There's also enough yarn for a blanket (or two!) but I haven't decided whether I'm going to make a blanket or several sweaters. I love the shade of blue and think it would make a fantastic roll neck stockinette stitch sweater for me.

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  8:52:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I'm doing pretty well. I spent the weekend quilting and though I had my SitCom Chic with me, I didn't work on it that much. However, I also didn't have an opportunity to buy more yarn!!

I should be starting the sleeves on the SCC tomorrow. I also have an "at home" project -- my Gedifra "Dandy" jacket that's been neglected for a bit ...but it's just too big to be portable. After that, I want to try some other stuff that the Yahoo Knit-Along Gang has suggested, and will use stash!

Still, roll on July 15 (my "end" date) because Anne at She Ewe Knits (http://www.sheeweknits.com) is back from holidays and I've been wanting to place an order for Jamieson's Shetland for one of the vests in Folkvests...

-- Marg (tryin' hard) in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  10:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I have finished my dalmation socks for dgd, and am working on some waffle socks in alpaca, sort of periwinkle colored. I love She Ewe Knits! Wow, I like the shawl and the gloves. Very pretty. I am not really going completely without yarn for another month, so I did order some of Lionbrand's sock yarn to try it out and a couple of things that were on sale, including a small cross-stitch kit that has a cat on it(must have anything with cats LOL)--got that 40% off because of an online coupon that you can get if you register on joann.com 's website. So, I got yarn for a pair of socks, two balls of dishcloth/facecloth cotton in some different colors, and the kit for a little over $20, including shipping. I tried on my waffle sock that is 3/4 done, and it looks like a good fit. I like the waffle pattern, but have only made the hat so far. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

bogrady
Warming Up

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  10:17:12 AM  Show Profile Send bogrady a Private Message
Greetings knitters,

I am continuing my yarn fast and congratulate anyone who is keeping on the straight and narrow. My dh has gotten another job, but the pay is considerably less than we're used to, so the austerity program continues. The eye surgery still looms in the future. He commented how his eye problem has taken second priority to the all consuming challenge of finding a good job. Guess the layoff had a bonus side to it after all. Knitting is keeping me sane, especially while waiting in doctor's offices.

I've finished one pair of socks for myself and have started another for my dh, now that he seems to like hand-knit wool socks. Then there are socks to knit for Christmas and my stash is good for another six pairs at least ... Wish I could finish the Classic Elite alpaca cardigan I started over a year ago. I keep running out of yarn! The pattern is plain, with wide ribs, but the yarn just seems to keep disappearing. I don't have enough to finish the bands yet and that's after buying two more skeins. Can't even remember why I was so excited about this sweater in the first place. So much for trying to keep to one dye lot - I'm going to have at least three or four if I ever finish this sweater. So I may buy one or two more skeins in order to finish this project, but probably not until mid-July.

The moral support here is great. I hope we can continue together.

Bev in Toronto, where a heat wave has descended
just when we thought we wern't getting any summer!

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  11:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
Okay, I'm trying cut back, way back for the rest of the year. I can't say I wont' buy anything, seems when I try that I then go way, way overboard to make up for what I haven't bought! Since I signed back on, after my major binge, I have only bought plastic tubs to help hold what I already have (and the fiber I sent out for processing that is due back next month). Can't say I won't buy anything at all, but I do hope to buy a lot less.

Martheme

Martheme of Sheep Hearth of Golden Leaf Camp
visit the EC Fans site http://ecfans.com/forums.htm

visit my blog @ http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  12:43:45 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
OK, I admit I have a problem. I tried to tell myself I did not have a stash, since I do not buy random skeins of yarn, but complete projects. I now have 18 complete projects, and ordered 2 more from Elann today. And I have 6 sweaters finished, waiting to be stitched together. I just can't stop! I am amazed at how yarn has evolved since the first time I knitted (35 years ago). Instead of wool or acrylic, we now have silk, linen, cotton, and talk about all the colors! Ok, I know the answer is to keep off the Elann website. But what if I miss a fabulous sale on something I just HAVE to knit with. The combination of saving money and adding to my stash is just too tempting to resist.

I can't stay off the Internet, because then I would have to avoid this forum. Anyone have any stories how they overcame an Elann adiction? Debra

Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  12:45:47 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
OK, I admit I have a problem. I tried to tell myself I did not have a stash, since I do not buy random skeins of yarn, but complete projects. I now have 18 complete projects, and ordered 2 more from Elann today. And I have 6 sweaters finished, waiting to be stitched together. I just can't stop! I am amazed at how yarn has evolved since the first time I knitted (35 years ago). Instead of wool or acrylic, we now have silk, linen, cotton, and talk about all the colors! Ok, I know the answer is to keep off the Elann website. But what if I miss a fabulous sale on something I just HAVE to knit with? The combination of saving money and adding to my stash is just too tempting to resist.

I can't stay off the Internet, because then I would have to avoid this forum. Anyone have any stories how they overcame an Elann adiction? Debra

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2661 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  2:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Debra -

The first 28 days are the hardest... Me, I quit cold turkey. I used to check every day (and sometimes twice a day) to see if there was anything new. I haven't looked at the site since beginning this fast on May 15th. If I don't know about it, I won't feel compelled to buy it.

I do still get my sample skein subscription in the mail, which tells me what the big four yarns are for the month, but I was just as likely to binge on the odball or novelties as the featured yarns.

I don't know what else to say, other than if you don't want to drink, you can't hang around a liquor store....

Luann (with only 6 days to go!)

Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  4:16:59 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Luann, what a great post! You are right, cold turkey is it. I, too, am checking more than once a day (even though they say they only add things Mon, Tues and Thurs they snuck in a Wed recently). I now have a $50 rebate waiting (only since June 1!) and so I need to go cold turkey until at least July 1. Baby steps.

Debra

Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  4:17:14 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Luann, what a great post! You are right, cold turkey is it. I, too, am checking more than once a day (even though they say they only add things Mon, Tues and Thurs they snuck in a Wed recently). I now have a $50 rebate waiting (only since June 1!) and so I need to go cold turkey until at least July 1. Baby steps.

Debra

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  6:07:24 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Just finished one baby blanket and have started the next together with a scarf for my niece in Seattle who is a Mariner's fan--huge Mariner's fan. Needless to say it is navy and white. You draw a thread through each end and attach a multicolored pom pom. Also, I have a local outlet for not only yarn but books. I have a friend who is a deputy sheriff and she told me they take yarn for crafts and books too at the jail. What she doesn't know is she will have to haul them there. Actually I think she will send someone to pick up the stuff. Take care. Beverley

PS: I am about to start on that project of knitting scarves for my cousin's fund raiser. She works in a not very affluent school and they raise a lot of money at this event.

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  6:56:09 PM  Show Profile Send moxie a Private Message
Bev! Welcome back!

Hope all is well.

Moxie
Go to Top of Page

mudcat
New Pal

37 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  9:02:01 PM  Show Profile Send mudcat a Private Message
Well, I went from June 1-22 without buying any yarn but yesterday I couldn't resist the Circulo Venezia Oddballs in Magenta Sky at Elann. Plus I bought the featured design pattern (San Francisco Shirttail) because I thought it would be easy for slow/beginner me. It was actually the garment that sold me on the yarn.

At the same time I didn't buy any fabric for the entire month of May and also through June 7th but have since bought some linen...my favorite fabric to wear in my nice warm climate.

I really must try to last until August 1st now that I got that out of my system.

~Alice

My Textile Journal
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2003 :  10:00:53 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
quote:

I want to... I need to... but I can't!!! I can't!!!

I want to make the grass skirt from knitty and a summer purse and a summer sweater...

I'm still in the crescendo phase of my stashing, I'm afraid...

Moxie

Moxie, I understand completely about being in the crescendo phase of your stashing. That's how it is, in stages. I amassed my mega stash this way and even after culling it this summer and donating the components I no longer adored, it is still enough to keep me busy for a few more years. I think that there are times when potential projects just leap out at us and the price is excellent and the yarn becomes part of our stash. To me, the purpose of this informal group is not to inflict guilt but to keep some of us from mindlessly buying more than we can ever get to in this lifetime.

When I read your posts, I can feel the energy flowing and I remember the times when I sketched, swatched and dreamed up designs like mad and yes, purchased yarn. Of course, perhaps not the way Martheme does(LOL, I kid her)but I did my part to keep the industry afloat. Keep in mind, this was in the days before the internet, I can only imagine what damage I could do now if I could really justify purchasing a single skein. I love all my stash and I have designs sketched and plotted out for all of it but my psyche needs to develop these desings before I take on more. While you are in a crescendo, I am in a cleaning up my house(read as phsyche)phase so I feel the stashing thing goes in stages. Enjoy your "orchestra" and the beautiful music you make with it, that is the time you are in. Of course, if you continue on this way, you will wind up like me in twenty five years, needing to orchestrate order! In any event, enjoy, that's what this is all about. I always enjoy your creative outbursts and I still want to see your eyelash done in the blooming azalea so keep writing!

M L
Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2003 :  10:07:47 AM  Show Profile Send M. Shawn a Private Message
Martheme -- Remember, this yarn fast is self-imposed. You set your own rules and parameters. If you don't want to go "cold turkey" but want to limit your spending, do it. Give yourself realistic parameters and goals. They can be whatever YOU want them to be. If you're not disappointed in yourself, then we won't be either.

Prior to joining this list, I had already been on a yarn diet for about 6 weeks. I'm still going to participate through July (and probably through the end of the year since I have such an enormous stash!) but I'm going to modify my original pledge a bit. My goal is to make my continued participation slightly more bearable considering the end could be decades into the future. I hereby pledge to my fellow NYF1MG members that I will not darken the doors of my LYS until August 1 and will not spend more than $20.00 per month in any yarn store until I have knitted up three sweaters, two scarves, one hat, at least three felted bags, and either a blanket or several lovely blue sweaters. (Now you know why it could be decades before I'm allowed to go hogwild in a yarn store!)

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2003 :  6:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I empathize with you, Martheme. I peeked at Elann.com this week (after 4 weeks of being good) and their new stuff is to die for, even translated into $$ CDN. However, I have been good (!) and have restrained myself. I just hope it's still there after July 15!! Bless her, Anne at She Ewe Knits wrote that she understands completely and will wait patiently for me to finish my fast (I am planning a Shetland purchase for one of the Folk Vest vests).

But I am making great strides on my SitCom Chic. Being part of the Knit Along (Yahoo) has helped focus my work!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by