Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 No Yarn for 1-Month Group (Part II)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

lauraks555
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  7:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit lauraks555's Homepage Send lauraks555 a Private Message
Hi everyone!

I don't think I could consciously go on a yarn fast. I know that if I did, the next day every one of the LYS (5!!), Wal-Mart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Elann, and Smiley's would have the Yarn Sale of the Century. Last weekend, soon after the clean up attempt (see below), I did happen to go to one of the biggest LYS in the area and didn't buy a single thing!

That said, I tried to clean up and organize my yarn room last weekend. Now when I'm tempted, I just think "WHERE will I put it?"
Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  8:56:54 PM  Show Profile Send Summer a Private Message
I'm gonna have to join the group, only I'm going to not buy anything knitting related. I seem to be a collector of books and magazines more than yarn, though I've bought my fair share of that in the last month too! With all the books and mags I have, there's enough to keep me busy for the next two years. My yarn stash is not large by a long shot, but I have enough to use for the next month. I still have two books that haven't arrived yet, but they've already been paid for so they'll be my last new thing until July 26.

So here I am!

Jill

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  10:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Counting down...I have 19 days to go!

Bev in TO, I'm with ya, girl! I grew up south of Montreal, and the week before our wedding in August, 1975, it was 103F and 100% humidity. Our guests were threatening to come nude -- including the bridal party!!

Alice, what lovely sewing you do -- flawless! I am green with envy! Then again, I have become rather cavalier about sewing (though I am often particular about my quilting and frog away if need be), so I dunno if I could ever come close to your skill.

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  05:44:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
All right, all of you have inspired me to try at least. Yarn buying is my only vice though. I don't drink, I don't smoke, what I do is..buy yarn. I know I can't go for a month though, my LYS is having a sidewalk sale in mid-July, it's on my calendar, I have been waiting for this event for months. So my resolve is this...NO YARN EXCEPT FOR THE SIDEWALK SALE IN MID JULY.

I plan to say out of the shops, stay off ebay and KnitPicks and knit up what I have. I am making great progress on my Sitcom Chic. I will be starting the sleeves today. This is the closest I've come to actually finishing a sweater. Yeah!!!! It will be done by mid July that's my prediction.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  07:20:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
I'm taking the pledge, climbing on the wagon, whatever you want to call it, as of now, and in this format: No stash building allowed. If I need a skein of something to a project that's okay, but no stockpiling for future projects until the stash is seriously depleted. I normally avoid Elann because it's dangerous, but I succumbed today, in a big way. I rationalized it by telling myself the prices are great and I really needed more cotton and cotton blends in my stash (after all, I'm in Florida) but now it's time to go on the wagon for a while.

Catherine
http://www.yorkiedog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  07:36:33 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Good Morning Knitters! I seriously need to think about joining The No Yarn for 1 Month Club. I discovered Elann last week and have ordered something from them almost everyday! I also have discovered Kits! I have ordered at least 6 sweater kits, a couple hat and scarf kits and several sock kits. I have ordered more than I could ever knit in a year or more! How do you stop? I have never been much of a shopper until I started knittting and discovered on-line knitting stores. Have a great day and try to stay cool!

Vicky(new knitter-HELP!!)
Go to Top of Page

moknitca
Warming Up

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  08:31:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit moknitca's Homepage Send moknitca a Private Message
Hi, my name is monica and I'm a yarn addict. I'm joining this group because my stash is way out of control. Prior to reading your posts I had 5 browser windows open looking at more yarn to buy. My goal is to not buy anything until Stitches Midwest. But even then I don't want to buy too much so I can make a serious dent in my stash. I'm looking forward to your moral support. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  09:52:09 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
Vicky, you just got started, one stashes in the beginning, although you are off to a good start with all those kits! Monica, if I curtailed, anyone can. To give you an idea of out of control my stash was, read Chris' thread on 'fessing up to how big our stashes are and how they got that way. I sometimes wonder, now that I am not purusing for yarn and have much more time to think and actually KNIT, if the purchasing of yarn isn't a separate addiction unto itself. I mean, I love to "hunt" for yarn, buy yarn, plot out a future for it, it's very exciting. However, eventually, one must knit up all that stash so I think the two Fiber Addictions must meet in the middle, not all over the living room, falling out of closets, etc. Welcome and good luck.

M L
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  10:11:06 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Hey ML, Thanks for the support! I think once I get back to work...maybe I won't have all this time on my hands to order yarn, books, tools, and other notions. Oh he** it's so much fun! Have a good day. Vicky
quote:

Vicky, you just got started, one stashes in the beginning, although you are off to a good start with all those kits! Monica, if I curtailed, anyone can. To give you an idea of out of control my stash was, read Chris' thread on 'fessing up to how big our stashes are and how they got that way. I sometimes wonder, now that I am not purusing for yarn and have much more time to think and actually KNIT, if the purchasing of yarn isn't a separate addiction unto itself. I mean, I love to "hunt" for yarn, buy yarn, plot out a future for it, it's very exciting. However, eventually, one must knit up all that stash so I think the two Fiber Addictions must meet in the middle, not all over the living room, falling out of closets, etc. Welcome and good luck.

M L

Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
909 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  2:56:03 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message
Hi, knitters! I must say, all of you have an enormous amount of self-control! Me, I have none. My stash, as it is now, is not very big. My Avon lady- a wonderful elderly lady- has gotten to the point
where she can't knit anymore, but she wants me to have her stash!I don't know how big her stash is, but I'm so thrilled that she thought of me! I still have the problem of controling myself win I visit a yarn or craft store, though!

craftymjw

Keep on knittin'!
The more, the merrier!
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  5:04:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
OK, I need to be strong. Tomorrow I am going to a yarn/fiber shop with my sister (and maybe meeting Phaedra28 there ). The thing is, I am trying to go my second month without buying new fiber, and I still have more than 2 weeks to go!! I've already given myself the OK for new needles--after all, those *use up* stash--but I need to resist more fiber. My sister has just started to crochet--she has one skein of yarn so far--and I suspect she'll buy a lot of stuff there. Help!!

--Susan T-O

Dear IRS: I would like to cancel my subscription. Please remove my name from your mailing list.
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  5:10:51 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Dear Susan T-O, They say if you go to the barber shop often enough you will eventually get a hair cut! If you go to the bar often enough you will eventually drink! If you go to you LYS often enough you will buy yarn(HA HA...)

Go to Top of Page

swaldie@cogeco.ca
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  7:39:30 PM  Show Profile Send swaldie@cogeco.ca a Private Message
Hello,
My name is Sheri and I am a yarnaholic. There it's out. I too will join the no yarn for one month forum. I will not buy yarn for projects I might make in two years. I will knit the yarn I have now. Thank you for listening
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  7:47:33 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
quote:

Hello,
My name is Sheri and I am a yarnaholic. There it's out. I too will join the no yarn for one month forum. I will not buy yarn for projects I might make in two years. I will knit the yarn I have now. Thank you for listening

Welcome Sheri. We're glad you're here. It's the best spot in town. There is so much support and experience given away here that I just know you will feel welcome. I'm probably a yarnaholic too, but I just haven't hit bottom yet so I can't take that first step and admit I am powerless over buying yarn Besides, I just started knitting in December! How long have you been a knitter? Did you fill in your knitting bio? Did I miss it? Let us get to know you. Oh and Sheri... Keep Coming Back!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

raeeee@rcn.com
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  06:08:15 AM  Show Profile Send raeeee@rcn.com a Private Message
OOOOOhhh how I need this. I just got back fom vacation and I must not buy yarn for MONTHS in order to pay for the vacation. (aruba.... but I'll leave out the details like beautiful weather, crystal clear oceans....oh... ummm back ot the topic on hand....)

I must knit up alll of the yarn in my possession. I have at least 6 friends/family that will be having babies in the next few months. Baby suprise jackets for all. And if I get enough time - a crochet blanket also.

Not to mention all of the cross stitch kits. Philosopher's Sweater kit, SLC 2000 sweater (one sleeve to go.. but MUCH tooo hot to knit wools).

I taught classes in the spring semester and got rid of ALOT of acrylic stash. I wound others into little balls for pratice swatches and handed them out like mad.

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  06:57:43 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Welcome to the Forum Raeeee, It's the best show in town. Aruba what a great place to vacation. You lucky knitter. I loved your posting thank you very much. It looks like your new here. If so we have a site call introduce yourself. It's a great topic so that we can get to know you and you can get to know us. I felt so welcome when I read the postings these knitters wrote. What a great way to get rid of stash. I have alot of acrylic that I bought when just beginning to knit. I probably will never use. If you need it for your classes let me know and I'll send you some. You must be a great knitter if you are a teacher. How long have you been knitting? Well again Welcome. I love this place! Hope you will also!

Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  07:00:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Vicky,

You are making this hard for me. In another post you gave out a website for Just One More Row and now I am stressing! I almost hit the add to cart button three times! I love this ladies stuff, the recycled silk is beautiful. I know I'll buy from her, I will try to wait for a month, but it is just sooooooo hard to abstain.

I just got a new yarn catalog in the mail yesterday. The link is www.latelier.com. Pretty interesting designs, the needles they sell are neat looking too very big and chunky. Check it out if you dare.

Dee

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  07:30:26 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
quote:

Vicky,

You are making this hard for me. In another post you gave out a website for Just One More Row and now I am stressing! I almost hit the add to cart button three times! I love this ladies stuff, the recycled silk is beautiful. I know I'll buy from her, I will try to wait for a month, but it is just sooooooo hard to abstain.

I just got a new yarn catalog in the mail yesterday. The link is www.latelier.com. Pretty interesting designs, the needles they sell are neat looking too very big and chunky. Check it out if you dare.

Dee

Dee, I'm sooo sorry to tempt you. Yeah right! Thanks for the new website. Maybe it will make me hit bottom sooner! I ordered three more sweater kits from sweaterkits.com this AM at 4:30. What a great site...and the pewter buttons are great! Just a little insomnic! I think it's because I sleep so much in the daytime. I just get so exhausted that I have to sleep then at night I wake up at all hours! Hopefully when the chemo's done I'll get back to my wonderful sleep habits 6-7 hours straight! No waking up at all. They joke about how hard I sleep. I slept through a tornado once that came right down our street in Fargo one year! Well, thanks for listening to me whine! Vicky.

Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  07:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Vicky,

So you couldn't leave it at that, you just had to non-chalantly stick yet ANOTHER web site in there for me to see "sweaterkits.com"?
I'm going to already be there when you hit rock bottom! I hope you can sleep at night soon too! Gotta love you though! You certainly bring a big smile to my face.

Dee

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  08:05:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

Dee

OOOOH...I dared! Luckily for me, the first close-up I clicked on in the catelogue was a kit for $654!!!! USD!!! Makes it much easier to abstain when the prices are insane!

But oh! Even their webpage lay-out is sexy and alluring!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by