Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 No Yarn for 1-Month Group (Part II)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  08:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

Vicky,

So you couldn't leave it at that, you just had to non-chalantly stick yet ANOTHER web site in there for me to see "sweaterkits.com"?
I'm going to already be there when you hit rock bottom! I hope you can sleep at night soon too! Gotta love you though! You certainly bring a big smile to my face.

Dee

Yeah! They're Cdn, so your USD goes farther... I saw their stuff in person at Creative Stitches here last fall and made a pair of their silk mittens (kit) in Fair Isle. Gorgeous!! and SO SOFT!! I got their 3-silk scarf kit (silk yarn, silk chenille and silk ribbon) in dk blues and purples (before I went on NYFAM, don't worry!). It's still in my stash...but it's to die for.

So enjoy, Vicky and Dee!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

mudcat
New Pal

37 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  11:38:26 AM  Show Profile Send mudcat a Private Message
Marg, thanks for the comments about my sewing, though it really isn't flawless. I have been doing it for a long time and it's the only way I can get decent fitting clothes from natural fibers (especially linen) not to mention at a reasonable cost.

The L’Atelier online catalog has some nice designs. I don't think I'll be paying $600+ for a kit any time soon. :O

~Alice

My Textile Journal
Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  11:49:45 AM  Show Profile Send Summer a Private Message
Ack! Got my Gathering of Lace book in the mail today. Must resist.. the temptation.. to buy.. YARN.. for.. that.. shawl! Hurry up July 26, get here soon! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas day!

Jill

Go to Top of Page

raeeee@rcn.com
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  12:31:16 PM  Show Profile Send raeeee@rcn.com a Private Message
Vicky -

I never thought of introducing myself.... .. So I just did.

Dont be so impressed that I teach... It's a VERY beginngers course a the local high schools. And there are really only a few stitches. You either Knit or Purl or Yarn Over. There may be a sequence of K2Tog, YO, SSK, KTB YF ... or such - but nothing other than the 2 basics. Most of hte teaching is answering "WHY" or reading the directions and keeping your place in the directions.

-Rae

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  2:08:37 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Rae, I still am unsure how to do yarn over, and knit to the back. If I haven't got it down by the time our retreat happens, I'm sure someone will teach me at that time! Again Welcome....teaching is very admirable...don't knock yourself. To pass along knowledge is what life's about. I love it when I get a group of new grads at the clinic and get to teach them what REAL nursing is about. Have a great day Rae.

Vicky(new knitter-HELP!!)
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  2:40:21 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message
Welcome to the KF, Sheri & raeeee! It's great to have new members.
Glad you decided to join us & I hope you decide to stay!
I have absolutely no self-control when it comes to yarn! I hope
all of the No-Yarn group will succeed where I have failed.

craftymjw

Keep on knittin'!
The more, the merrier!
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  5:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I SURVIVED MY TRIP TO THE FIBER/YARN SHOP!! Although I found lots of stuff I wanted (camel! yak! cashmere! corriedale! alpaca! olive green! multi in harvest colors! ocean green!) I merely had to look at the price tag ($33 for 8 ounces? $5.23 for ONE ounce???) to stay my hand. Even the needle prices were frightening ($4.50 for a *plastic* crochet hook?? $14.00 for a circular needle??).

So, after that shocking and disappointing trip, I think I will find it easier to be happy with what I already have.

--Susan T-O, hanging on 'til July 15.

"I love the rain. To me, a day without rain is like a day without sunshine. (slight pause) I can't believe I just said that. . . "--Carol Burnett
Go to Top of Page

melheather
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  5:37:51 PM  Show Profile Send melheather a Private Message
Hello, my fellow knitaholics. I am going to try not to buy any new yarn for the month of July. I have 4 (yes 4) rubbermaid totes full of yarn that I have yet to use or even have projects for. I can't even walk to the craft section of Wal-mart, I once spent over $100 on yarn because it was so cheap there. Hopefully I will make it through the month, but I think the only way it will happen is if I avoid any store that even sells yarn. Good luck to everyone!

Go to Top of Page

Jacqueline
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
509 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  9:00:10 PM  Show Profile Send Jacqueline a Private Message
Ladies - I need your HELP!!

For a long time there I was abstaining from joining the no-yarn for 1 month club for all the obvious reasons - most particulary I didn't want to stop buying yarn. But things are now serious!!!! My boyfriend and I are trying to save for a house and he is saving really well and I am buying yarn to turn into cushion covers, throw rugs, knitting baskets and who knows how many sweaters!! I will NEVER get my new home this way!!

Starting tomorrow July 1st - (phew - I still have the internet tonight!) I will not be ordering or buying any yarn, needles, books or anything at all until July 31st. In August I am going to allow myself a small respite and I can buy a couple of pairs of Brittany Birch needles to add to my collection and a new knitting book. The same goes for September! I know this is harsh - but I seriously have enough projects to keep me occupied until then...so it is not like I am going to go without things to do. And I do really want to buy a house at the end of the year. I have just worked out I have 1 cardigan, 5 sweaters, 4 scarves, 1 x 72cm square cushion, 1 huge knitting basket and 3 completed projects waiting to be sewn up. I am also going to offer to knit up a project my Godmother has just bought yarn for. She was planning to do it herself - but she has arthritis and this way I get to road test a new yarn and pattern without the expense.

When September is over and I am allowed to buy yarn again - I will only allow myself to buy fingering or sportsweight yarn so it takes me longer to knit! That way I get to fuel my addiction but don't need to buy yarn as often.

However, I have an order of Rowan Summer Tweed which has been on backorder and is due in the next 2 weeks - obviously that is the exception to the rule. (Sorry - I just can't cancel it - I ordered it in MAY!!!)

I will keep all you ladies posted on how I am going. But I really need your encouragment and support!!

Jacqueline

PS. I suspect this house goal is the first step towards the proposal! So I have a lot to gain if I get this right!

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly and lie about your age. - Lucille Ball
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  07:20:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
Hi all,

I haven't bought any more yarn since signing back up, but at lunch today I am going to buy 2 circular needles . . . . I have a project (its a secret so I can't give you the details yet) and I did my swatch last night and found I have to have other needles than what I have!!! Sorry, no way around this one . . . I'm just hoping to make it out of the store without anything else!

Wish me luck!

Martheme

Martheme of Sheep Hearth of Golden Leaf Camp
visit the EC Fans site http://ecfans.com/forums.htm

visit my blog @ http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

bogrady
Warming Up

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  10:01:40 AM  Show Profile Send bogrady a Private Message
Hello fellow yarnaholics,

I love it when someone lists how many projects they can produce from their stash! My problem is that I order enough yarn for one project and then change my mind when I'm ready to get going. Usually the new project requires more yarn than I have on hand

Aside from that pesky alpaca sweater with the voracious appetite, I have enough yarn for two sweaters for myself and enough sock yarn for at least 6 pairs plus a few baby socks with the leftovers. Oh yes, and one rather expensive kit for mittens, worth Cdn. $30 - why did I ever buy that??? Anyhow, my stash is not overly large, it just is hard to store when you have no storage space.

The other day I went on line to order something from Ram Wools in Winnipeg. Placed my order - put in the credit card number and pressed the button. Nothing went through. I made myself a note to contact them by phone the next day. Didn't do it. Very odd - I had the same pleasure of buying stuff without making the commitment. Kind of a weirdo activity ... hope I don't get hooked on making phony purchases ...

Bev in Toronto

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Denise
Warming Up

70 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  10:05:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Denise's Homepage Send Denise a Private Message
It gets a little easier with time, Jacqueline. I joined the group shortly after it started. I fell of the wagon twice in the first couple of weeks but now I'm back on track. I was spending money on yarn and fabric that I should have been using other places. I've set some financial goals for myself that whenever I achieve one - I will reward myself with a small splurge. Good luck on saving towards your new home.

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  10:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Bev, I did something similar last night. Plugged in orders for almost $200 CDN on Elann.com -- and then began to feel guilty, so I left it in my cart! I'm hoping it'll still be there after July 15!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  10:15:13 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
quote:

The other day I went on line to order something from Ram Wools in Winnipeg. Placed my order - put in the credit card number and pressed the button. Nothing went through. I made myself a note to contact them by phone the next day. Didn't do it. Very odd - I had the same pleasure of buying stuff without making the commitment. Kind of a weirdo activity ... hope I don't get hooked on making phony purchases ...

Bev, I have a great idea which may help all of us. Your posting made me think of it. Let's set up a website, load it with every wonderful yarn and knitting related items we can think of. Now, here's where it gets fun: All of us in the NYF1M, we could sit there, purusing and hunting and ordering till our hearts were content, and then put in the numbers and nothing would really happen. We could even program things to give each of us a print out of what we DIDN'T really get. That might prove helpful! You know, like a diet food with none of the calories or fat but ALL that flavor.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  10:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
I did it!!!

I went to the yarn store and only came out with the needles I went in for!!!!

(course it helped that I only took just enough $ to buy the needles, but hey, it still counts!)

Martheme

visit the EC Fans site http://ecfans.com/forums.htm

visit my blog @ http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  1:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Bravo, Martheme!! I know how tough this has been for you! You GO Girl!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  2:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Patterns don't count do they? I had to buy them in order to reduce my stash The sidewalk sale I told you about is coming up on the 10th. I just want to look at what she is putting on sale Who am I kidding? I want more yarn.

Is this a 12 step program?

Dee

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  3:08:48 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:

I did it!!!

I went to the yarn store and only came out with the needles I went in for!!!!

(course it helped that I only took just enough $ to buy the needles, but hey, it still counts!)

Martheme

Congratulations! And if you buy needles for a project ofr which you already have the yarn, it does not count as breaking the fast. How can you use up your stash if you don't have the right needles?

Now did you run into the store, snatch up the needles and head to the register? Or did you linger, fondling and savoring the yarns?

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  9:56:19 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
I must say this NYF2M thing is getting easier and easier...I went to the LYS this weekend to browse and didn't even think about buying anything, even with the sales pitch the yarn shop girl gave me. I'm thinking the rest of this month will be smooth sailing...

I think watching my spending is like any habit that, once established, will be hard to break...I just got my credit card bill...$117.00! Usually it's about $500 (due to yarn purchases)!!

Go to Top of Page

Jacqueline
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
509 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  10:09:37 PM  Show Profile Send Jacqueline a Private Message
DAY 1:

I feel sick already!!!

Jacqueline

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly and lie about your age. - Lucille Ball
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?