Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Embarrassing habits when admiring yarn
 Like a bull in a china shop
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KathyMarie
Chatty Knitter

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  9:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyMarie's Homepage Send KathyMarie a Private Message
Um, today I think I knocked over a display of hand-turned rosewood knitting needles while admiring the yarn next to it. I didn't even notice I had done it until the shoplady said something like "oh, it's okay, it happens all the time" and I realized that she was speaking to me.

Time to get my head out of the yarn fumes, eh?

My Blog: http://getyourhookon.blogspot.com

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  9:26:51 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
I always grab the ball of yarn that makes them all fall. Or I knock over a display with my purse. Maybe it's a psychological thing so that I can touch the yarn more? hehe

-Katie
The chief lesson I have learned in a long life is that the only way to make a man trustworthy is to trust him; and the surest way to make him untrustworthy is to distrust him and show your distrust.
Henry L. Stimson (1867 - 1950)
Go to Top of Page

dancinggirl77
Warming Up

82 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  9:51:29 PM  Show Profile Send dancinggirl77 a Private Message
I'm always afraid I'm going to topple over the display. It seems like they always put the stuff I want to play with in the deepest corner of the cubbyhole, then I have to take out all of the balls in front of it and make a separate pile. I feel like a squirrel gathering acorns!
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  3:17:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message
If it happens all the time, shouldn't she think about moving the display?

Just a thought.

- susi

--That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  05:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I'm like Katie, grab a ball of yarn and they all come tumbling down.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Jehaine
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  6:01:32 PM  Show Profile Send Jehaine a Private Message
This happens to me all the time, too.

Especially when I'm looking for a particular color. I take a skein from somewhere the middle, trying to move it carefully...

The entire cubicle spits out the entire load of yarn with balls of yarn rolling everywhere.

*sigh*

-- Jehaine
Go to Top of Page

SheBer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
421 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  8:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheBer's Homepage Send SheBer a Private Message
I know that cubbies are practical from the standpoint of making good use of space, but they sure seem to empty easily when you pluck one skein out of the bunch. I was at a knitting shop a couple of weeks ago and noticed that so many of the balls/skeins/hanks looked a little bit messy ... and wondered why. After going through a couple of cubbies and having to pick half the contents back off the floor, I understood why. (Well, at least I got in a bunch of deep-knee bends for the day. Exercising while yarn shopping - who knew?)

Sheri
www.theloopyewe.com
www.theloopyewe.com/sheri/ (blog)
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  10:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message
I blame the shape of the yarn "patties" (the donut shaped ones) on a lot of the problems I have with falling yarn. Those ones just love to tumble!

-----
http://www.midnightskyfibers.com Handspun and handpainted yarns, fibers, and kits. Vegetarian and environmentally friendly!

Go to Top of Page

csutliff
Chatty Knitter

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  10:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit csutliff's Homepage Send csutliff a Private Message
I have this picture of cartoon character women with large cloth tote bags and needles falling out of her hair and purse and tote and pockets and her walking away with yarn stuck to her heel like toilet paper, merrily trailing behind her as she heads for the door and a stricken shop owner watching this starry eyed knitter head for the door.
I have never met a ball of yarn in one of those cubbies that didn't leap out and try to follow me around the yarn store. Tell me these aren't really those treble creatures from Star Trek. LOL!
Crystal

"Get your Knit On" http://www.freewebs.com/csutliff/
My Yahoo Knit Group!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganknitters/
Go to Top of Page

Isis Rising
Chatty Knitter

320 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  5:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Isis Rising's Homepage Send Isis Rising a Private Message
As a former retailer of all things large and small, there isn't any way to keep stuff from falling or following people around the store. There are ways to limit how much stuff falls, or how often the shopkeeper has to bend over to re-do displays. I'm also good for pulling out one ball of yarn, holding back the others, only to completely knock over another display of yarn.

It comes with the territory. Any shopkeeper who is able to keep a "perfect store," isn't doing any business!

http://isisrising.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  5:49:19 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
A dozen balls of yarn falling on my head will always hurt less than the tall stack of plastic pots that fell on my head at a garden shop once. Another good reason to go yarn shopping.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  05:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Good point Wendy. I realize there probably isn't a way to really stop the yarn falling. It is almost embrassing that it happens so often when I'm in the LYS.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

NuttyKnitter101
Chatty Knitter

338 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  07:53:30 AM  Show Profile Send NuttyKnitter101 a Private Message
Whenever I go into the LYS and walk like I'm on egg shells. There's no reason for it, except that its really quiet there. I'm afraid to make too much noise. :P I always seem to drop things too. Whether or not i'm pulling it off a shelf, or I'm putting it on the counter.

Not every Mary in the world has a lamb like mine
Go to Top of Page

infinity
Warming Up

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  7:09:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit infinity's Homepage Send infinity a Private Message
Since I am short, I have issues getting to the top shelves and of course I want that one color at the very tippytop. I usually use a knitting needle to pull something down if I can't find an available sales attendent. Not the most graceful thing when you have not just the one that you are trying to get but the bunch that falls on top of you... looking down at all the yarn at your feet ... then realizing how on earth am I going to get it back up there... all of a sudden you have this vision of basketball... and everyone joining in to help. Back to reality and you still have all the yarn at your feet and everyone looking at you with sympathy... so you smile back and try and clean up as quickly as possible until the next time around. :o)

InfinityExplorer
~~
~ every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around...
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  9:52:53 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

I hate going into yarn shops with my DH as his big arse always manages to knock something over.

Not that mine is so small.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

yarnspeaktome
Chatty Knitter

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  10:57:13 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnspeaktome a Yahoo! Message Send yarnspeaktome a Private Message
I happen to discover some of my most favorite yarns by people who accidentally drops skeins above me. Just last week while prowling the lower shelves of yarn; a woman pulled a medium hank of yarn off the top shelf (above where I knelt) that resulted in a 12 skein ball cascade.

She apologize and started picking the skeins that fell into my basket and the floor around me. "Oh just leave the ones in my basket." I said. "I think it's the balls' way of telling me that they want to come home with me."

The yarn. It speaks to me.

Elsie [meow]
Go to Top of Page

csutliff
Chatty Knitter

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  1:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit csutliff's Homepage Send csutliff a Private Message
Thursday I was at my LYS for my weekly class and decided to use a half hour of class time to shop. The owner finally asked me laughingly to stop destroying her shop, as it was just one of those days when everything I touched was a fiasco. We laughed and jokingly fought and I sat down and got a wonderful story from her about her clutzy son. Fiascos at yarn shops almost always end up with great conversation and sharing. I think that is one of the most wonderful things about knitting, all those unexpected bits of contact with others and they usually involve hysterical laughter...one of my favorite things.

Crystal
"Get your Knit On" http://www.freewebs.com/csutliff/
My Yahoo Knit Group!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganknitters/
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  8:41:14 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message
One thing I really like about yarn shops is that there is usually nothing around to break. Needle displays knocked over over, balls of yarn getting pulled out, patterns messed up--all easy to fix! (In comparison, a tiny cramped shop of hand-blown glass animals in Venice was a nightmare for a klutz like; me--I wanted to look at everyting but I was terrified the whole time I would knock over and crush a shelf full of delicate little critters)

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  06:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ozknitter

Hi,

I hate going into yarn shops with my DH as his big arse always manages to knock something over.

Not that mine is so small.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.

[:00][:00][:00][:00]

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Tarheel Knitter
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  2:49:17 PM  Show Profile Send Tarheel Knitter a Private Message
My last trip was to a shop in Charlotte that is going out of business. Of course I wanted several of everything they had. I am lacking discipline when it comes to yarn and supplies. The sales clerk gave us all a plastic bag to collect our goodies in. I had to admit to her that the bag was not going to be big enough. I made several trips through and had to feel of all the yarn. I am in to felting and just love all the wools that are out now. That was the best shopping trip I've had in a long time. I figured that I would be set for a while. Wrong!
Go to Top of Page

Heather
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  12:13:23 PM  Show Profile Send Heather a Private Message
Hey, as long as the sheep keep growing wool and the cotton keeps blooming, it's our job to keep giving them a sense of purpose.

One thought about knocking things down: you are actually doing someone a favor when you make a little bit of a spectacle of yourself that way. It happens to everyone, and if they see YOU doing it, they feel better about when THEY do it. See? Aren't you helpful?!

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
-G.K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.