Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 knitting on a plane as a male knitter
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

5needlesmatt
New Pal

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  12:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit 5needlesmatt's Homepage Send 5needlesmatt a Private Message
I knit in public frequently because, as a man, I like to draw attention to the male knitting movement currently underway. So, when my wife and I were traveling to Nevada for a vacation last week, I pulled out the mitten I'm working on for her. (It's from a pattern in Felted Knits by Galeskas.) So then this little girl across the aisle from me asks her dad what I'm doing, and I thought "yes! reducing the stigma against male knitters!" That's my big victory story.

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  2:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
Cool, Matt! Keep up the good work!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

Overcaffeknitted
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  2:39:03 PM  Show Profile Send Overcaffeknitted a Private Message
So, did the father explain what you were doing? Congrats to you for giving him a chance to do so. I probably would have gone overboard with a monologue beginning with "As a matter of fact, little girl" followed by a history of male knitters.

Ramona
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  5:29:13 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Matt,

That is so cool. Good on you!!!

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Just 1 More Row
Chatty Knitter

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  7:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Just 1 More Row's Homepage Send Just 1 More Row a Private Message
So glad you shared. I'll have to tell my boys. No reason not to knit now!

Laura in Idaho
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  8:17:02 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
To me I don't care if its a man, woman or child that is knitting, just do it. Good to keep the old fingers moving. Also, keeps the mind alive. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  01:50:28 AM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message
[quote] Originally posted by BLN3320
I don't care if its a man, woman or child that is knitting, just do it.

Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  05:31:59 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
WTG, Matt. I'm like Mikey, I don't care who it is, just knit in public and enjoy it.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

SheBer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
421 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  09:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit SheBer's Homepage Send SheBer a Private Message
Matt - great job. I so seldom see people knitting on planes, and have never seen a guy knitting on a plane at all. I might've had to take a victory picture of you if I had been there!

Sheri
www.theloopyewe.com
www.theloopyewe.com/sheri/ (blog)
Go to Top of Page

PamelaA3
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  11:01:56 AM  Show Profile Send PamelaA3 a Private Message
I have had people ask me if the flight staff knew I had knitting needles on the plane. I told them they were OK at that time. Still, some seemed nervous about it. I was using wood circular which I considered less of a threat, but obviously some passengers did not feel that way.

I have also had folks ask me if the flight crew knew I had a cat on board in the cabin. His carrier is a soft-side discreet black duffle bag style with flaps that snap down. What annoyed me was that James' ticket cost more than mine and I could not set his carrier in the vacant seat next to me and buckle it in. The plane was very cold for all of us and he was freezing on the floor. Airlines will take no more than two animals in cabin on a flight. Show cats travel like this all the time with a low profile.

Fortunately, I don't have to travel much, and if I must wait in line for five hours it will be even less. I sympathize with those who do travel.

Staying home and knitting.

Pam

Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  1:03:35 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Does your cat knit???

Trish
Go to Top of Page

PamelaA3
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  1:25:56 PM  Show Profile Send PamelaA3 a Private Message
No, James doesn't knit, but he is a fiber snob. He will only lay on wool or cotton items. Now, tell me, how does he know? His bed has cotton flannel and I knitted him a diagonal varigated blue cotton blankie. He loves that along with my Galway wool afghan. James is a Tonkinese, hybrid of Siamese and Burmese. If you have seen a lilac Siamese his color is very similar, face mauvy taupe with body in cream underside blending to a light tan on the back. His eyes are aqua, which is the trait of the Tonkinese.

See James at http://www.wan-leatonks.net. Look around the gallery, etc. He is listed as Sir James (his show name). Jackson is his half brother, Tara his grandma, if pictures of them are still up.

Enjoy looking at all the colors. I hope I have the site right.

Pam
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  5:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
A mitten for your wife, can I take a moment to say "how sweet." Good for you letting the world male knitters are out there. Now if we can only get more decent patterns for men.....

bonnie

Check out my blog:
Tropical Knits
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  3:11:03 PM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message
Now if only I could get my boyfriend to knit me mittens, on a plane or otherwise. Dang, we're getting on a plane later tonight... I should have packed an extra ball of yarn and some needles and forced him to learn. LOL. OK, maybe not. I think he still thinks that knitting is "unmanly". He'd rather be grilling.

Seriously Matt, good on you for knitting in public. :-) I rarely see women knitting in public, let alone men... I always hope to run into a stigma-buster when I'm out and about..

Maria

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  05:11:45 AM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message
I have a wonderful male friend at work who can knit circles around me. He brought his fair isle knit sweater he made (choosing his own patterns from Alice Starmore book and choosing his own color palette) to work to show me. Everyone could not believe how gorgeous the sweater was and that HE made it. Turns out all this time everyone thought I was helping him with his knitting, when in truth, he was helping me. The oddest thing is that I generally don't like people to knit on my projects because of the difference in tension, but his tension is exactly like mine.
You can't tell what areas he has knit on which I have knit!

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page

WAknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  10:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit WAknits's Homepage Send WAknits a Private Message
This is fantastic! Whenever knitting barriers are brought down; I'm happy! Good work, Matt! :-D

Yep, I'm bloggin' now! Check me out: http://annasyarnmansion.blogspot.com/ .

~ Anna in WA state
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  05:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Pam, My last cat was a mix but it looked just like a lilac Siamese. When I got him, the ladies at the Vet were justing going crazy over my lilac Siamese. James is cute.

James, keep knitting away in public.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

maldacht
Warming Up

66 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  08:36:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit maldacht's Homepage  Send maldacht a Yahoo! Message Send maldacht a Private Message

I knit on planes frequently (for some reason I do not feel the stigma against males knitters on planes that I do elsewhere but that is just me.) Usually people around me are very interested in what I am making. I've never had problems with wooden kneedles but the TSA flyer a couple years ago suggested that males use wood needles instead of metal because they were less likely to be conficated.

-
MY BLOG Link

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  10:51:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PamelaA3

I have had people ask me if the flight staff knew I had knitting needles on the plane. I told them they were OK at that time. Still, some seemed nervous about it. I was using wood circular which I considered less of a threat, but obviously some passengers did not feel that way.

I have had the same thing happen....tell them you are licensed to knit.

That should shut them up.

Mistress Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tiennie
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  7:09:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit tiennie's Homepage Send tiennie a Private Message
That's awesome! I taught my 7yo son how to knit and last night, he was teaching my husband (another Matt) how to knit!

Happy knitting or knit 'til you're happy! - tiennie
http://www.tiennieknits.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.