Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 How many projects do you have going at once?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Knitwit Robyn
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  8:18:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitwit Robyn's Homepage Send Knitwit Robyn a Private Message
I started on a hat for my daughter this evening. This is the fourth project I have going at the same time. I'm beginning to think I have a touch of ADD. When I get tired of working on one project, I just move to another. I have one hat for my youngest daughter that is just an hour or so away from completion (It's for her Sept. 29th Birthday), a hat for my son's birthday (August 23rd), a turtleneck swearter for Anastacia Maybelline the Wonder Dog, and now this hat for my eldest daughter. WHEW!! I have dozens of things I want to get done before Christmas, so I suppose I will just have to continue knitting like there's no tomorrow!! :)

Hugs to all,
Robyn

Well-behaved women rarely make history

csutliff
Chatty Knitter

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  8:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit csutliff's Homepage Send csutliff a Private Message
I like to keep alot of projects going at once. At any given time I am working on one more than the others and sometimes I simple sit and pick up one till I feel ready for a change and literally go down a line of projects. Every once in a while though if I am feeling overwhelmed by the amount and still thinking of starting others I sit down and tell myself to finish at least half. I usually end up finishing more than that and I feel better about starting more. I do kind of miss working on them when they are done though.
Good luck with your WIP's
Crystal

"Get your Knit On" http://www.freewebs.com/csutliff/
My Yahoo Knit Group!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganknitters/
Go to Top of Page

susanner
Gabber Extraordinaire

400 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  9:10:18 PM  Show Profile Send susanner a Private Message
Does that include the one I stuffed into the back of my closet out of disgust after realizing it was just ugly, poorly fitting, and a #@&:< to rip out?
Go to Top of Page

knittingbuzz
Permanent Resident

USA
1122 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  03:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittingbuzz's Homepage Send knittingbuzz a Private Message
I enjoy working on a variety of projects at the same time, especially if they require different levels of skill and /or size. I always have something small & portable to work on, as well as larger or more complicated items. Then..... there are those items that have given me some trouble or extra challenge that tend to sit a little longer than they should, going back to these takes a little more will power. Ugh!

Krista

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't .... you are right."
-Henry Ford

2006 FO 18 WIP 4
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  04:28:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
This is going to make you feel better.
I just did a tally and I included the single sock UFO's.
Are you ready?
I obviously have a problem with self control and starting new projects. But I figure, I knit for the process and if I want to start something new, then why not indulge it. I'll finish it all someday. Or it will be given away as a half finished project when I kick the bucket.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  05:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
My idea # of projects going at the same time is 2, one hard/complicated and one easy project. Reality is normally about 4 or 5. No self control. The only thing that keeps me from starting another project is the new project needs a certain size needle and they are already in use.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  06:29:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message
Yep, multiple projects seem to be more the norm than the exception among the knitters I know. My current tally is a baby blanket, a sock (second of the pair), a top-down v-neck sweater, and the Peacock Feathers shawl, with the occasional washcloth jumping onto needles.

The last time I hit my favorite LYS, a skein of Schafer's "Andrea" (silk laceweight) insisted on coming home with me, and now it's whining because I haven't wound it and cast it on. So far I've managed to resist it, wanting to finish Peacock before embarking on another lace project, but it's getting harder and harder...

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  06:57:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
I try to stick to one or two projects OTN. However, when I slip, I tend to slip badly. At the moment I've got two pairs of socks (one pair about 1/3rd done, the other much closer), a sweater (sleeves done to the elbow, nothing else), and a shawl (a LOT further from completion than I want to think about!). I definitely want to finish one of the pairs of socks soon, so I'll stop feeling like I'm not getting anywhere.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos, WIPs and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  08:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by Boogie

This is going to make you feel better.
I just did a tally and I included the single sock UFO's.
Are you ready?

Amy, You've certainly made me feel better - I counted up my WIPs the other day using a very tight definition (ones I'd laid needles on in the last 2 weeks)and came up with a round baker's dozen.

In my defence they are a mixture of travel projects, things that were travel projects but are now to big to cart around, complicated things I only have light and brain power enough to tackle at weekends, things I am making for others for a deadline that I had to start before finishing others, the list of self justification goes on...

One thing that I have observed recently though is that all of them are more than 50% finished so I've decided to limit myself to 'one in one out' and see how I get on.

But you're right - my knitting - not harming anyone - making myself happy!

Jane

'I am the milkman of human kindness - I will leave an extra pint' Billy Bragg
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

KathyMarie
Chatty Knitter

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  08:56:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit KathyMarie's Homepage Send KathyMarie a Private Message
I just re-organized the stash and found 4 forgotten projects lurking in baskets & drawers. Ack. I have about 10 projects going right now, but that number doesn't seem as bad after hearing Amy's number.

It's knitter's ADD, right?

My Blog: http://getyourhookon.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MissMarple
Chatty Knitter

110 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  08:59:04 AM  Show Profile Send MissMarple a Private Message
probablyjane, I like your 'one in one out' idea. Think I'll give that a try!
Go to Top of Page

Knitwit Robyn
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  09:00:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitwit Robyn's Homepage Send Knitwit Robyn a Private Message
THANK GOODNESS!!!! I thought I was the only one! I would start more, but the needles are already in use. I'm DETERMINED to finish up the Beehive hat from SnB Nation that I've been working on for my daughter. If I can stay off the net long enough, I think I can get it done today.

Is there a 12-step program for addicted knitters??? ;)

"Hello. My name is Robyn and I'm a stitch addict" Ha!

Well-behaved women rarely make history
Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  11:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
Right now I have 5 projects on the needles. I like to finish one project at a time, but I have to have other things to do in case I get bored. I also like to have a pair of socks on the needles at all times for commuter knitting. And I don't have the strength to stop myself from casting on something that catches my eye, regardless of the number of WIPs.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  12:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Jane, 23 OTN. WOW!!

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  12:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
Wanda

The score of 23 belongs to Amy - I'm a mere amateur at 13!

Jane

'I am the milkman of human kindness - I will leave an extra pint' Billy Bragg
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

Lynnie71
Warming Up

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  5:14:47 PM  Show Profile Send Lynnie71 a Private Message
ok, I must be the oddball...I have two...Actually that is all I will let myself have at one time...for a while I had many more and found that my steam for projects ran out when they were in the closet. This way if I have to finish a project to start a new one...This is probably the only area where I am the master of control...everything else seems to be crazy...maybe I need to let go a little and walk on the wild side... can you say 3 or 4???

Lynnie
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  06:15:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
You can do it Lynnie
More projects!

12 step program? A program to help us gather more yarn, more needles and more projects?

amy
Go to Top of Page

caroledward
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  07:36:48 AM  Show Profile Send caroledward a Private Message
I have a question for all you multiple project people. I seem to be in the monority as I rarely have more than one project going. How do you keep track of where you are on all your projects. I have found that if I stop and start another project when I come back to my first project it seems to take me forever to figure out where I was (like on a cable pattern). I guess I just don't keep enough notes because I have a really hard time figuring out where I left off. I also find it more difficult because I have to re-learn the cable or pattern repeat over again. I really admire those of you who can do this and would like to hear your tips for how you keep track of where you left off - expecially if you are modifying patterns.

Thanks

1 project Carole
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  10:46:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
Carole
The way I do my projects is to keep each on it's own little bag. Each with a photocopy of the pattern or with post it notes so I can make tons of notes if I need to. On more complicated patterns I make good notes as I go along. I try not to leave something mid cable though.

Are you able to read your knitting. It's good practice in general. But if you can read your knitting well, it makes it easier to pick things up.

Being a 1 project knitter isn't a bad thing at all.

amy
Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  12:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
Right now, 6 - three pairs of socks, a potholder, a shawl, and a stole.

trek's blog FO: 32, WIP: 6
"As for me and my house..."
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  7:36:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
Current count of UFO/WIPs:
1. Stockinette socks in LL Shepherd Sport (just started the first sock last night, oops)
2. Chunky Diagonal Throw (was supposed to be finished this weekend before I totally messed up the border. She'll get it next week!)
3. Snowdrop Shawl (haven't touched for months)
4. Rogue sweater (haven't touched since I had to start the CDT, still working on the %^&*% hood)
5. Danica scart (also haven't touched in months)
6. Winter Night afghan (I have enough squares to make a decent lapghan, but I have to seam them together and do the border)
7. Stockinette socks in KnitPicks' Simple Stripes (I started the toe and got bored. I think I'm becoming a sock yarn snob - erk!)

Hey, only seven, not bad. I do have one more project technically on the needles, but it's going to the frog pond whenever I get around to it. And I'll probably start another pair of socks in the next few days, too.

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.