Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Started your holiday projects yet?
 Anyone else can't keep up with gift requests?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

LaurieAdlerAnderson
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  10:34:35 AM  Show Profile Send LaurieAdlerAnderson a Private Message
I give up, mokey, what are squaddy whatevers? [blush] Also, no is not always in my vocabulary...it's a good thing no-one asks me for anything less legal (but maybe more fun![crazy])

Out of every 10 people polled, 14 prefer chocolate!--Sandra Boynton

Go to Top of Page

LaurieAdlerAnderson
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  10:43:22 AM  Show Profile Send LaurieAdlerAnderson a Private Message
and then my sisters (all non-knitters, most who don't appreciate the stuff) don't get things that they don't want, I don't waste my time either.

You know, I also won't knit for most of my family (who don't have a clue!) except for my dear son (he won't take anything off that I make for him![:00]) or my sister-in-law (who pays for the yarn herself) or my aunt (who owns me!) They TOTALLY LOVE what I make for them...oh, and my 4-year-old niece too (whose mother tells me she can get her socks at Walmart--aaaauuuugggghhhhh!!!!)

Go to Top of Page

sydo
Chatty Knitter

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  2:41:58 PM  Show Profile  Send sydo a Yahoo! Message Send sydo a Private Message
I create my own stress, and the recipients-to-be of the to-be- knitted gifts do not even know they are going to receive them. It started this time around with my learning to knit socks. Aha, I thought, the perfect gift! But there are two out of five grandchildren and three adults on a list that ends on December 24th and started on July 24th. And two more grandchildren are getting sweaters I either have knit or will knit. None of these are Christmas gifts: all are for birthdays. I have one down and am on the 2nd pair. Two more after that and one sweater. I haven't got all that much time to knit, so I feel constant pressure to get ahead of the game.

It seems that once I get an idea of knitting a family member something, I cannot set it aside as time grows short. It is still August; I am blocking a sweater and a pair of socks, and knitting as fast as I can. I must stop this routine, but how? I always love the idea of knitting someone I love some item----the gift list just piles up somehow.

Sydo
Go to Top of Page

mwedzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  4:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit mwedzi's Homepage Send mwedzi a Private Message
You know, this past couple months I was in South Africa, whenver I knit or crocheted outside, people would ask me if I would make one for them. Come to think of it, it happened a couple of times here in the US, too. But most of these people were guys and I'm pretty sure they only asked so they could hit on me. How many random guys have asked me to knit something for them, I don't even know! No, I don't want to knit anything for you, and I don't want your phone number, either.[:00]

The only other things people have asked me to make for them was a crocheted afghan for my mother who didn't actually want it (kindness on her part, I think, though, cuz it was a hard time for me and she knew that crocheting made me feel better). I made it and took it back. The other request was one dishcloth, which I still haven't done and just remembered right now. Hmm, time to get out my cotton, cuz considering all the things this person has done for me, asking for a dishcloth is so minor I'd be triflin' not to do it.

--nikki
Go to Top of Page

csutliff
Chatty Knitter

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  02:21:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit csutliff's Homepage Send csutliff a Private Message
ya know, I don't mind my family or close friends asking for things...but seriously when just passing friends ask you or better yet the guy at my local coffee shop who is seriously stalking me to knit a sweater for a teddy bear he hasn't even bought yet. Geesh! I love making things for people I love. But anyone that happens to see me knitting? Yikes! That could encompass half of downriver. There has to be a point where you say no or how about I teach you to do it for yourself. I don't want to be mean and if they are serious they will let me teach them to do it for themselves. Having said all that I am glad I have people who want me to knit for them.

Crystal
"Get your Knit On" http://www.freewebs.com/csutliff/
My Yahoo Knit Group!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganknitters/
Go to Top of Page

urieth
New Pal

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  06:45:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit urieth's Homepage Send urieth a Private Message
I go through this at work all the time. People see me knitting on my breaks and invariably ask, 'How much do you charge to make that?' - as if I'm knitting for profit only! Of course, the question leads to the reply, 'The yarn alone for this costs $XX,' at which point they exclaim their disbelief and stop bugging me about it.

I /hate/ knitting projects on commission and refuse to do it. I get more pleasure in giving knitted gifts than in making money off from my work. Knitting is not hard, IMO, and can be taught to anyone. I've offered several times to teach people but, so far, only one has taken me up on it. Problem is she's left-handed and I'm a righty, so the going has been a bit slow.

Gifts are gifts. They should not be requested objects. Anyone who asks me to knit them a scarf is probably going to get a DVD this year.
I'm just like that :P

--urieth

---"I don't believe in astrology. But then I'm an Aquarius and Aquarians don't believe in astrology"
James R. F. Quirk
Go to Top of Page

Buckeyeknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

364 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  06:55:33 AM  Show Profile Send Buckeyeknitter a Private Message
It took me several years but I am finally at the point where I am knitting for myself or for someone of my choosing that I know will appreciate it.

The first year I got back to knitting, I decided I would make hand knit gifts for eight of my family members. I made myself crazy and in retrospect it was a total waste of time. No one ever used anything I made other than dishcloths.

Then I went through my craft sale phase. I did have some baby blankets that I had made from Walmart type yarns when I first returned to knitting and then got into the scarf and the felted bag thing. I must have made forty or fifty scarves and the same number of felted bags over a couple of years. I sold them at a local craft fair the first year and enjoyed it. But last year it just seemed like a chore. I wasn't knitting things I liked necessarily but was into a production type mode. Never again will I do that. Other than baby sweaters and caps, I always have an intended recipient in mind (mostly me) when I make something. And I enjoy it immensely!

I still have at least ten unsold bags and several scarves - have to figure out what to do with those.

Pam
Go to Top of Page

knitree
Seriously Hooked

688 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  11:57:53 AM  Show Profile Send knitree a Private Message
Muggles are crazy if you ask me. They don't want to spend the time to learn to knit but want us to do it for them. Here's my system: only knit what I want for people who have proved they appreciate hand knit items. Just yesterday I gave a ballet t (from LoopDLoop) to a pre-teen girl who was totally admiring it while I was finishing it up. Yes, it was for me, but no I wasn't totally in love with it (too short). The young woman was thrilled. Once her sister saw it, the sister gave me a look, and my dh offered that I'd knit her something. This cracked me up... I said everyone I know gets something sometime, and left it at that. Maybe I'll teach him to knit!
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  12:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I'm so glad people don't normally ask me to knit items for them. Knitting is one of the fews things that I primarily do for me and only me. I have only made dishcloths for a select few and 1 baby blanket for a very dear xs friend.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

diamondgirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  04:17:35 AM  Show Profile Send diamondgirl a Private Message
I am lucky enough to have a small pool of people who would dearly appreciate 1. any handmade present from a friend, and 2. anything made from snuggly material. They get merino wool scarves, lace shawls, baby blankets and hats.

Then, there are the people at work. Shawls are very popular at work, as it is freezing at our desks.... 'What a looooooovely shawl! Did you MAKE that?!?!?! WOOOOWWWW! Will you make me one? Just like that, only lighter. And maybe with more blue. Only maybe red. I don't know. But I want one! I'll buy the yarn!!'

Luckily, I know they are much too busy to go yarn shopping, so I just say 'Ok, go buy the yarn...' No one has come back.

Third Generation Craft Ho
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  05:02:49 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message
So should I feel wistful because no one ever asks me to make them something? Maybe they don't like my colors? Maybe I'm just not a good enough knitter? Maybe they don't realize that knitting = love? Maybe they do?
Go to Top of Page

donncoop
Chatty Knitter

111 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  01:13:09 AM  Show Profile Send donncoop a Private Message
I tell everyone that they are on my list. I just keep working my way through projects that interest me and if a project comes up and meets your request then so be it. I won't knit for just anybody. You do have to be someone who has some importance in my life. It seems to work.
donna
Go to Top of Page

LaurieAdlerAnderson
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  06:52:12 AM  Show Profile Send LaurieAdlerAnderson a Private Message
Just because no one asks you to knit for them does not mean that you "aren't good enough" or have trashy taste in yarn--it could be that your stuff amazes them and they don't feel that they have the right to ask you for what they feel they genuinely "are not good enough for." (Please, English teachers, you know what I mean!) Or not.

Go to Top of Page

diamondgirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  3:27:21 PM  Show Profile Send diamondgirl a Private Message

Also, Lucienh; perhaps your friends figure you are too busy, or they don't want to seem greedy or grasping. They may just be more polite than some people! Or they may just not prefer the look of knit fabric. Some people think it looks too nubbly, without their preference reflecting on your skill at all.

Third Generation Craft Ho
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.