Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitting for Babies and Children
 Using a different gauge yarn from pattern
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

latikalaul@yahoo.com

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  10:16:37 AM  Show Profile Send latikalaul@yahoo.com a Private Message
Hi
I want to knit a cardigan for my daughter from the Dale of Norway book #139. Pattern #4. I found some yummy yarn (peruvian baby cashmere) at elann.com that I want to use. The pattern recommends Baby UII which is 31 sts to 4 inches and each ball contains 192 yards. the Peruvian gives 28 sts to 4 inches and each ball contains 109 yds. So first, I need advice on whether going with equivalent yardage is the correct thing to do.
Second, the pattern requires small amounts of 4 colors. Because of yardage differences, I will need to buy two balls each of Peruvian instead of the one each of Baby UII.
Does any one know if one each fo Peruvian will be enough.
Here is a link of teeh pattern-
http://www.kidsknits.com/baby139.html
It is the soft pink cardigan in the third row, second pattern from the right.
Thanks

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
748 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  10:27:53 AM  Show Profile Send CPAknit a Private Message
It sounds to me like you have a few different calculations to do-
First you need to convert the pattern to adjust for the gauge differences
Then you need to determine what length of yarn you need.
And did you consider the weight of the yarn per 50 grams. Differences in yarn weights could make a big difference in how heavy the sweater will be.
I'm not sure you will get a quick answer - and kudos to the knitter who can easily convert this one!
It sounds like you need to knit several swatches in your chosen yarn with different size needles just to get started.
Good luck!

Cindy
http://cpaknit.typepad.com/can_a_cpa_be_a_knitter_ca/
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  1:18:31 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
That pattern gauge is close enough that you should be able to knit it to gauge by adjusting your needle size. Adjusting a gauge is much simpler than adjusting the whole pattern. Remember the needle recommended is only a suggestion. you need to use the needle determined by your gauge swatch. Also, since the gauges are so close, I doubt very much if you are talking about the same size skeins of yarn. In any event, here is the math involved.
Multiply the yardage of the recommended yarn by the number of skeins to get X.
Divide X by the number of yards in the skein you want to use to get the number of skeins you will need in the yarn you want to use. I would then recommend getting a little extra for safety but usually this math will work out.

I looked at the pattern and only see 2 colors so I'm not sure I', looking at the correct pattern. I also see another pink sweater that has 4 colors but the pictures are not numbered so I can't check. Accent yarns usually do not require much yarn and frequently have a lot left over. You can estimate their yardage by counting the stitches used for them and multiplying it by 1 inch. Count them by treating the finished sweater without sleeves as one large rectangle and get the AREA of this rectangle. Then multiply it by 3 for the front, back , and sleeves. Count the number of stitches in a square section and then divide the total area by the number of stitches in your square section.

I would recommend getting a little extra yarn for safety sake depending on how expensive the yarn is.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  1:48:00 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
What Fran said.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
748 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  1:30:52 PM  Show Profile Send CPAknit a Private Message
Fran is the best!

Cindy
http://cpaknit.typepad.com/can_a_cpa_be_a_knitter_ca/