Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Designers Forum
 Fashion Knit Design vs. Knit Design
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sitpadeshu
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  1:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Sitpadeshu a Yahoo! Message Send Sitpadeshu a Private Message
Hello All! :)

I'm finishing my grad degree in design and I'm wanting to work in the fashion industry as a Knit Designer/Technical Desiger. I'm also planning to begin submitting hand knit designs to publications sometime next year.

I've noticed though that there seems to be a difference when people refer to "knit design" on groups like this than what I plan to do. Are there any other designers in this group that work in the fashion industry? If so, what has been your experience with working in that part of the industry?

Thanks in advance for the insight. :)

sarah@k_rev
Warming Up

67 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  5:53:17 PM  Show Profile Send sarah@k_rev a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sitpadeshu

Hello All! :)

I'm finishing my grad degree in design and I'm wanting to work in the fashion industry as a Knit Designer/Technical Desiger. I'm also planning to begin submitting hand knit designs to publications sometime next year.

I've noticed though that there seems to be a difference when people refer to "knit design" on groups like this than what I plan to do. Are there any other designers in this group that work in the fashion industry? If so, what has been your experience with working in that part of the industry?

Thanks in advance for the insight. :)

Part of my business is as a freelance knitwear designer - designing, knitting and pattern writing - so that is the sort of thing you'd be doing if you submitted to mags. I have, however, come across a couple of designers who have been employed by one of the fashion houses. But their qualifications were very specific - they studied knitted textile design, rather than doing a general fashion design type degree.

As for job satisfaction, one of them was very disenchanted with her employment, as all she was required to do was design and knit stitch pattern swatches for the label she worked for - tons of them - and the swatch designs that were called for were often what she considered to be pretty bad taste & kitsch.

I had an email recently from a very well qualified knitted textile designer in England asking if I knew of any fashion labels in Australia that might take her on - apparently there is an oversupply of qualified individuals in the UK, and not enough jobs to go around. Additionally, some companies don't use employees, but just contract out to freelance designers on an as needed basis.

I'd have thought that the institution where you're studying should be a good source of information regarding industry requirements, and also the track records and employment history of their past students ?

Sarah
--
http://www.sarahdurrant.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitpadeshu
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  11:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Sitpadeshu a Yahoo! Message Send Sitpadeshu a Private Message
My school doesn't teach knit design. It's not unusual in US schools though. There are a handful that have it as an option, but not all. What I know I've learned on my own.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe