Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitting for Babies and Children
 What's Your Fav Baby Girl Blanket Pattern?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  11:16:26 AM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
OK, I know that this has probably been asked so many times that if we each had a nickle for each time, we could all retire and knit out the rest of our days. However, I have been searching far and wide, at least until I can hit a knitting store later this week for a baby girl blanket pattern. It's for a very special grand niece of a close friend of mine, who wants me to knit (or crochet) a blanket that will be both practical, i.e., it must be machine washable, and a keepsake. And, most important of all, it must be done by November--I've looked at some patterns and they wouldn't get finished until Nov of 2007 at least. I welcome all suggestions and snickers from those who know about my completion disease. Suggestions also can include where to look--for fee or not for fee. My friend is picking up the tab. Too bad cashmere isn't machine washable.

--PamS
Women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2595 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  11:31:09 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
My most successful baby blanket was knit with GGH Samoa - it's aran weight, a fabulous cotton/acrylic blend. It doesn't feel plastic-y at all, but it is lighter and springier (sproingier?) than an all-cotton, and it takes to the washer/dryer perfectly. It's wonderfully soft. I highly highly recommend it. My sister-in-law wanted a pink blanket and so that's what I used - a soft, ballerina pink. There's also a lovely lavender that I wish I could have used. The pattern I picked was a stitch pattern called "Diamond and Lozenge" Pattern (Vogue Knitting p. 124) aka "Moss Diamond and Lozenge" Pattern in Barbara Walker #2 (p. 17) When it's knitted up, it looks like 3-D stacked (baby) blocks. I did my blanket 12 repeats wide and 5 repeats long, with a moss stitch border. Because of the gauge of the yarn, the blanket went quickly, but it was much more interesting and fun than a plainer blanket would have been.

I have also been tempted to try one of the circular pinwheel blankets floating around the web - I would think you can use any weight yarn you want, and keep knitting until it's as big as you want it.

Like this:
http://www.knitlist.com/00gift/round-baby-blanket.htm

Somewhere there's a gallery of pinwheel blankets showing all kinds of yarns and colors.

There's also this:
http://www.cascadeyarns.com/patternsFree/F112_220.pdf

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

angelcooper@hotmail.com
Gabber Extraordinaire

541 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  2:25:01 PM  Show Profile Send angelcooper@hotmail.com a Private Message
I have a Fiber Trends pattern that I am working on now. Its for an easy knit baby blanket and there are 3 patterns on there. All of them are garter stitch and one seems perfect for a little girl - it has hearts in it. I beleive that the pattern number is CH-24. I am knitting one of the blankets on there as we speak for a special little boy that will arrive in September.

Angel
Knitting and spinning in the Shenandoah Valley

My blog - http://vaknittingangel.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  4:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
a classic american 'raised leaf counterpane' Anne McDonaldson refered to this pattern in her book No Idle Hands, (page 260 as i recall) and presumed everyone would know just what she meant.

there are many variations (on the outer part of the block) one pattern can be found in Rose Wilder Lane's books on American Needlecraft, (and some where here? or over on Knitty's BB someone just took first prize at a state fair for a blanket done in the pattern..(some variations are copy righted but the basic design has been popular in US for 300 + years.

Here is one variation. (as a large (45X 60 inch) baby blanket
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/afghans%20and%20blankets/baby1.jpg

See my photo albums of knitting. http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  8:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
I like a simple feather and fan blanket - quick and pretty. I knwo what people say about lace holes and baby's fingers but some mum's don't mind and to my knowledge nobody I know has ever had a baby with fingers caught in a lace garment or blanket.

celia

Read my blog, or buy my handdyed yarn and handmade stitchmarkers. Also destashing here.
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  11:06:17 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
I'm with celia on this one. Sonny made me a plain feather and fan blanket when I was pregnant with #1son and I used it for all 3. It looks very spectacular and in a good grade of acrylic it went through the washer adn dryer hundreds of times. Now it's put away until I get a legit grandchild.

Course now if you want to make a blanket for the baby to enjoy use a stark black and white geometric for newborns and make the most garish, neon colored striped thing you can imagine with black for bigger babies. They don't like pastels--they can't really se them. Little babies like violent neon brights. I carried them around with the beautiful feather and fan, then put them on the floor at the store on a navajo pattern afghan done in neon pink, orange, yellow, electric blue and black. They would shriek with glee and stare at it for hours. Made my eyeballs vibrate but the kids loved it. It's good for their little developing brain cells too.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  06:07:35 AM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
thanks everyone! Great suggestions--I really appreciate it. And, Helen, I love the picture that you for which you provided the link. I've printed out the suggestions to show the "Great" Aunt.

--PamS
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  4:22:26 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
llinn, the thought about the screaming brights is a good idea. I've been planning this soft green traditional sort of receiving blanket(I'm not the one who asked, but I'm planning for a friend's new arrival too) but now I'm thinking one of those log cabin things from Mason Dixon in screaming colors is a much better idea. Maybe I'll make a hooded poncho with the green stuff and buy a bunch of different loud colors for a blankie, yes, more yarn, that's what I need....
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  6:07:04 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
Newborns can't see colors or haven't learned to sort them out. But they respond very positively to strong black and white geometrics blocks or triangles or stripes.
By the time they're 6 weeks or so they begin to sort out colors, but only can identify the screaming brights. Actually their vision is similar to old people. Did I ever mention the amount I sold of the color we called "little old lady lavender". Electric neons striped or outlined in black gives their little brains something to work on. It's really fun to watch the baby see the colors too. Their eyes get big and their little hands go and they are obviously excited. Like, wow, look at that, that's cool, let me put that in my mouth.

That's another thing to remember with babies. For the first year, at least, they investigate everything with their mouth. Everything they can fit goes in, hands, feet, toys, blankets, things you don't want to know about. A good grade of acrylic won't shed big lots of fibers to get in baby's system. Small amounts won't hurt, but mom can get pretty fired up when a hairball shows up in the diaper.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  06:13:54 AM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
I love the idea about screaming colors, but I don't the "Great" Aunt, my friend, would be convinced of this. I'll give it a try.

--PamS
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  06:27:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message
I've done a baby blanket for Project Linus where I did the diagonal garter stitch pattern -- you start with about three stitches on the needle and then keep increasing on either side every other row until you have a giant triangle, and then you decrease on either side every other row until you're back down to a few stitches. If you're doing it for a little girl, you could stripe it with pink and white, or you could even do a double strand of two colors.

For the border, I just crocheted a decorative border, but if you're more evolved with knitting than I am, you could pick up stitches and knit on a nice border.

PAM
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  06:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
My favorite is the Blue Sky Alpaca eyelet baby blanket. It is really very easy and does knit quickly.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  06:08:50 AM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
Thanks again to all of you who gave me advice on my baby blanket mission, especially, Of Troy for her link to a picture of a blanket with 12 squares, where each has a raised leaf.

When my friend and I went to the yarn shop on Saturday I asked to see the Vogue Baby Blanket Two book and there was the blanket, or rather a version of the blanket, called Vintage. It's made up of four squares, each has a raised petal. And, then there's a border around the sewn together squares. That became the one. However, the pattern calls for fingering weight on size 2 needles--and I said no way. I went up to size 8 and dk weight. If the blanket gets to big, I'll cut down on the 50 row border.

I'm on square 1 of 4 and have completed the raised leaf. I blush--I must tell you that right now it looks like a speedo for a well-endowned male.

--PamS
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  08:03:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message
[quote
I'm on square 1 of 4 and have completed the raised leaf. I blush--I must tell you that right now it looks like a speedo for a well-endowned male.

[/quote]

PamS, you are toooooooo funny. [:00] Thanks so much for brightening my day.

Your blanket is going to be beautiful. What yarn and what color (colors) did you choose?

Barbara
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  08:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
my blanket is done with good old red heart 'super savers' on size 8 needles too.

i've made that blanket more time than i care to admit. after blanket 4 or 5, i started doing all 4 blocks together (in the round) since i hate sewing all the blocks together! (i can knit the first half of the square (the raised leaf) from memory!)

and for another version (also done in worsted weight--the one i remembered seeing somewhere) check out Lion Brands 'gallery'
its a pretty recent entry, so it should be on page one or 2 of the LB Gallery--the prize winner was done with wool ease in sea foam (soft misty green) and it took first prize at some state fair. (also a worsted weight yarn.--it works out well in that weight)

vintage is a good name for the pattern, the raised leaf part is pretty 'standard' but the second half of the block varies with almost every knitter. and as Anne MacDonald stated, this is the most common 'american' pattern for knitted blankets and counterpanes. (its nice to see this knitting tradition continuing!)

(as i said, i first saw it in Woman Day's Book of American Needle Craft, edited by Rose Wilder Lane.
Rose Wilder Lane was a well known writer and editor, and it was her fame that led to her mother getting first published. (Laura Ingals Wilder!) today, more of us are familiar with the mother than the daughter!)

See my photo albums of knitting. http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe