Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 pondering.....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

petitemorte
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  4:46:54 PM  Show Profile Send petitemorte a Private Message
I notice that the guys here don't post as much as the ladies. So I'm guessing it's one of these reasons
1. You just don't like to chat as much as we do
2. We just chat way TOO much
3. You guys spend more time knitting than chatting,which would mean you guys probably have twice the amount of completed projects than we do.

maybe you guys are more into lurking...

But that's just my observation

Di,the cross country knitter

http://photobucket.com/albums/f348/switchbladeknitter/
Guy walks into a shrink's office wearing nothing but seran wrap. Shrink looks at him and says "Well I can clearly see yer nuts"

KnittyElf
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  09:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnittyElf's Homepage Send KnittyElf a Private Message
Although I too am a girl, I'm thinking it's #3! Have you seen Brooklyn Tweed's blog? He turns out finished projects like nobody's business! We females ought to learn from him.

~ the KnittyElf :)
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  11:03:49 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I agree, I think it is #3.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

GuidoS
New Pal

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  1:43:26 PM  Show Profile Send GuidoS a Private Message
Jeezz...

It could be that

A) There aren't that many guys on the board to begin with
B) This section is reffering to 'Boys' not guys or men...
C) Some guys don't have as many witty things to add to the board

Or it could be #3.. I wish... It seems like forever since I completed a project. I too am envious of Brooklyn Tweed's ability to pump out FOs

------------------------------------------------
I'll be there before you know it
I'll be gone before you see me
-Jim's Big Ego
Go to Top of Page

Barry1948
New Pal

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  4:01:41 PM  Show Profile Send Barry1948 a Private Message
Besides knitting I tend to lurk. LOL I am not much of talker.

The macho truck driver who kints
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  4:31:30 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Or maybe they just get tired of being treated like freaks of nature.

It's so disappointing the way male knitters are treated like they are "Male Knitters" instead of just knitters, especially on this forum.

It never ceases to amaze me how much "verbal fawning" and incessant cooing our new male members are subjected to when they join us here.

Ick!

I wonder if the women members here wouldn't be just as creeped out if they went to an all or mostly male forum and were immediately drowned with the same kind of saccharine attention.

I'd like to hear more from them too.

It's the dopey comments from the drooling "girls" that inevitably follows that I don't want to hear.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

petitemorte
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  4:53:35 PM  Show Profile Send petitemorte a Private Message
Hey I'll be the first to admit that I'm always awed by guys who knit. But when you see any guy knitter blog the usually comment somewhere along the line about being a "knitting male/guy" not just a knitter.
When I got my first few tats (like 12 years ago) people used to stop me to look at them cuz I was a girl with visible tats.
Besides I'm sure the guys don't mind all the extra attention from us ladies

Guy walks into a shrink's office wearing nothing but seran wrap. Shrink looks at him and says "Well I can clearly see yer nuts"
Go to Top of Page

ilustren
Warming Up

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  7:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit ilustren's Homepage Send ilustren a Private Message
These are all interesting observations here. I don't think it's #3; at least I'm just as much of a multi-project knitter as any women knitters I've met, and life's interruptions and shifting priorities always make finishing up projects a 'chore' at times. I don't think it's that the men like chatting any less, at least the members on a men's knitting forum I'm on aren't lurkers. I'm curious like Petitemorte is as to why the male members are any quieter than our counterparts. Is there any way of seeing the total # of male subscribers?
I think that newish male knitters might enjoy the flattery and oohs and ahhs given by women, and those of us more seasoned ones just go with the flow or ignore it. I don't think anyone sickens of the complements received over projects we show off on our blogs. I certainly wouldn't ask viewers of my blog to stop commenting, actually, I'm very interested in hearing what people have to say, particularly in the way of suggestions, or even more excitingly, spin-offs they've created or thought of based on one of my projects.
Perhaps some men are reluctant to partcipate for the same reason they are reluctant to ask directions. :)

Charles
Welland, Ontario
Blog: http://jigraknits.livejournal.com/
"God being the original knitter (Psalms 139:13) and humans (she AND he) being made in God's image...I'm equally entitled to enjoy creating through fibre."
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  12:42:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Agreed, Trish.

As a side note, my single male member of my after-school knitting club once stood up 15 mins into a "meeting" and said, "GOD! Ms. S! These girls TALK TOO MUCH! Can I go knit in Mr Jackson's class? GOD!"

I let him go to Mr. Jackson's class.

Amanda Takes Off... and
Amanda Knits

Only you can decide how tongue in cheek I am.
Go to Top of Page

Cat Loving Knitter
New Pal

22 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  09:37:33 AM  Show Profile Send Cat Loving Knitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by azknitter

Or maybe they just get tired of being treated like freaks of nature.

It's so disappointing the way male knitters are treated like they are "Male Knitters" instead of just knitters, especially on this forum.

It never ceases to amaze me how much "verbal fawning" and incessant cooing our new male members are subjected to when they join us here.

Ick!

I wonder if the women members here wouldn't be just as creeped out if they went to an all or mostly male forum and were immediately drowned with the same kind of saccharine attention.

I'd like to hear more from them too.

It's the dopey comments from the drooling "girls" that inevitably follows that I don't want to hear.

Trish

I hear you! My mom took me to this yarn shop once and the lady there was all like: "OHH! You knit? HOW CUTE! See that poster over there? They're men knitting! IT'S OKAY FOR MEN TO KNIT!" and I'm thinking: "Like, yeah, I know that LADY."

Meow! >^_^<
Go to Top of Page

maldacht
Warming Up

66 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  09:39:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit maldacht's Homepage  Send maldacht a Yahoo! Message Send maldacht a Private Message
By the time I've finished reading the posts that interest me there is not time to post. In fact there is not enough time for me to read those that are interesting much less anything else. I am awed by the output of many of the knitters here. I have not even been able to attend a local knitting group due to conflicting obligations.
p.s. I bet there are a lot of female lurkers as well.

-
MY BLOG Link

Go to Top of Page

yarnspeaktome
Chatty Knitter

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  09:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnspeaktome a Yahoo! Message Send yarnspeaktome a Private Message
When my kids (my 9 yo son and 7 yo daughter) and I knit together; we don't say much. We just listen to audio books (currently Harry Potter series) and knit. In fact, when my son makes a mistake or gets stuck; he just come up to me (looking very [**]or[:((]) and presents his needles without saying anything.

Usually it's to help him pick up a dropped stitch or to frog because he'd created extra an stitch.

ElsieW[meow]
Go to Top of Page

knancyknits
New Pal

45 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  11:52:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit knancyknits's Homepage Send knancyknits a Private Message
My theory is two-part. Simply, there are more female knitters than male knitters. And, men talk less than women. They don't feel the need to discuss things like we do, they often like to figure things out for themselves. We chat. We analyze, compare, psychoanalyze, talk some more. And then we talk more.

www.knancyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

danspun
Chatty Knitter

101 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  07:45:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit danspun's Homepage Send danspun a Private Message
I'm not sure if this is technically lurking, but usually by the time I visit the forum/s questions that have been asked have usually been answered, and I wouldn't be adding anything other than a "Me too" or "What he/she said." So, I don't bother posting, unless I have something additional (that's also interesting) to add. Beyond that, I'm not much of a chatter, so I'll not participate too heavily in the random topics. It's also reasonable to think that the ratio of males to females on this forum is pretty small.

My blog:
http://www.sattler-reimer.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

newworlddavinci
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  10:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit newworlddavinci's Homepage  Send newworlddavinci a Yahoo! Message Send newworlddavinci a Private Message
Ya'at'eeh

Well to be honest I am a lurker. Not because I don't like to talk I find out a lot more by reading and enjoying all of your posts and because I am still learning I dont have a lot that would be constructive to say (or type :) (kind of like this post). Love reading tho and I am opinonated (sorry its a family trait) so I will post from time to time. In my case it is defintely not #3 the only projects I seem to finish are clogs or scarfs.
Anyway thanks for reading

hagoshii
Jeorge
Go to Top of Page

Hitashi
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  10:59:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hitashi's Homepage Send Hitashi a Private Message
I think it's 1, 2 & 3
...not to beat the subject to 'death' or anything :)!

I know that when I post (a handful of times) here, it's something very specific about a project i'm working on or question I have...kinda like when a guy goes into the grocery store and knows exactly what he wants and where to get it...doesn't spend too much time socializing...just in and out kinda 'style'. I know there are so many knowledgable people here that can help me...so I don't spend too much time posting on other topics.

As for the knitting stores, it seems hard to find the perfect fit of product and friendly/welcoming service? Even in major cities...some ladies that work in the shops are just not 'open' to guys coming into their shops? They seem protective somehow...not sure how to describe it? The best shops, where I feel most welcome, seem to be co-owned by a man or have men working/teaching in the shop?

A few months back I visited a shop here in Seattle (where I have visited many times)and I think 2 other guys where in the shop at the same time? The female shop attendee was SO shocked and amazed that there was more than one guy in the shop at the same time and had to make an announcement "Oh My Gosh! I have never seen so many men in here at one time! This must be a special men's only shopping day?"...kinda implied that we were freaks of nature or something? COME ON! GET OVER IT! I swear I've been there a million times, even going with that SAME lady a few years back to a Lily Chin class! AND...even Lily stopped the class and proclaimed "Look, the only male knitter in the class!"...but it's okay...Lily Chin is amazing...so it was alright to be embarassed by her :)

Go to Top of Page

petitemorte
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  4:14:15 PM  Show Profile Send petitemorte a Private Message
Barry I already knew you're a hardcore lurker

In general though I know that men are way more technical than women that's the main reason I cruise this topic. I love checking out their work. And I also know that, again in general, men don't idly chat. So when one of our guys here posts I know it's gonna be something worth reading.Thanks for answering my question though guys.

I really think it boils down to - you guys just dont care about some silly stars under your name!!

Much love and keep those needles clicking yarn heads of BOTH sexes!!!

Go to Top of Page

collieknit
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  09:41:59 AM  Show Profile Send collieknit a Private Message
I'm just tired of being the male knitter. Yeah, I'm a guy who knits, but what's most important is that I am a knitter. If someone created a section called "Girls Who Knit" it would probably offend a lot of gals. I'm not in any way offended by the section head of "Boys Who Knit", but I'm a guy, not a boy. Finally, most of us keep to ourselves or just lurk. We're just not as chatty.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe