Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Ruined a sweater doing neck edge
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Knit-a-Bit
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  10:58:03 AM  Show Profile Send Knit-a-Bit a Private Message
Hi,
Oh woe is me! After I completely finished a beautiful sweater, I realized that I had done the neck edge incorrectly. I just used the stitches that were held on the needle from the body and I was supposed to pick up a stitch in between each one of them. Now the neck is too small.

Can anyone give me directions (if it is possible) to take out the neck edge (including bind offs) and re-do it? I'm afraid to try, though I might as well, since the sweater is useless otherwise. Thanks to anyone who can help.

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  11:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Yes, it is possible. I would work slowly undoing the bind off stitches. Once that is done, undo the the rest of the neck.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

Knit-a-Bit
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  11:03:58 AM  Show Profile Send Knit-a-Bit a Private Message
Hi Wanda,
Thank you for the instructions and encouragement. I'll give it a try.
Donna
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  12:44:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message
It is possible, and it will not even take as much time as you think. Just be careful while ripping out when you get close to the spot where you will begin working again. Sometimes it is helpful to rip out to the row above the mistake, and then put it back on a needle (use a needle one or two sized smaller than you will use to start knitting again because this will make it easier to pick up the stitches -- but do not forget to switch to the right side needle later) and back knit the rest of the stitches off. This will make it easier to avoid dropping stitches and knitting twisted stitches. Sarah.
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  1:51:25 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I am short and find that the necklines on many patterns come down way too low for me so I'm always modifying them. The last sweater I knit had a problem similar to what you describe. My suggestion is to run a smaller (circular) needle thru the stitches a few rows above where you made the mistake. (This is an after the fact lifeline to my way of thinking.) Then just unravel the knitting to the second needle (it goes fast). Then just tink till you get to where you need to correct the mistake. Fix it and redo.

You have to fix this because all your work will be in vain otherwise. Get yourself a box of chocolates and sit under some good light. Then have a drink when you're done.
Go to Top of Page

tiennie
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  10:53:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit tiennie's Homepage Send tiennie a Private Message
I hate that! In Debbie Bliss Junior Knits book there is a sweater called Woody that I've knitted 3 times but every single frickin' time I've had to do the neck, it has been screwed up. The last time I did it, I had to rip it out 3 times and went up 2 needle sizes and picked up more stitches and it was still a little tight pulling over my son's head!

Happy knitting or knit 'til you're happy! - tiennie
http://www.tiennieknits.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  04:36:43 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Before you redo the whole thing, try this. In many cases it is just the bind off that is too tight. Remove the bound off edge, put your stitches on a "long" piece of scrap yarn and try the sweater on. Frequently, it will work out if you just change to a looser bind off.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3290 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  05:55:05 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

I agree totally with Wanda and Fran, just go slowly and carefully.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1553 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  11:42:34 AM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
I just did the same thing on a machine knit sweater...didn't pick up enough stitches. I would go down a row, the row below the one that you should pick up the neck stitches on and pick up the stitches with, maybe, a lower gauge needle( it will be easier to get them)...then rip each stitch, one by one, the row above and make sure you haven't dropped any stitches, or picked up something that wasn't a stitch. Then go on from there.

Shirley Ryan, living in Dana Point, CA

...and dance like no one is watching!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.