Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Finished..... but it doesn't fit right!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mary1208
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  10:30:00 AM  Show Profile Send mary1208 a Private Message
I just finished a crewneck pullover sweater in a beautiful red with multicolored flecks acrylic yarn. Though the yarn was differnt than what the pattern recommended, the gauge and weight were identical. I was meticulous in my measuring and making sure the dimensions matched the pattern exactly. Well, I tried it on and the sleeves are way too big around and too long. The body fits fine. How do I fix this?

And how do you avoid this from happening? The picture of the garment looks good, but you don't really know how it's going to fit you till you're done!
Thanks!
Mary

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  12:57:30 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
Mary,

Did you measure your arms, both length and width and check to see if your measurements matched the pattern? Or, if it is easier, measure a sweater that fits as you like. If your measurements are not the same as the pattern, your sleeves could conceivably turn out longer, or for that matter, shorter.

Or, did you match the stitch per inch gauge, but not the rows per inch? If so, and if you knit the required number of rows in the pattern, this may cause your problem. However, if the length of the body fits you, this may not be the problem, unless your tension changed significantly when you knit the sleeves.

Either way, you likely will need to take the sleeves apart and unravel to some point where you can make width adjustments and reknit to the proper length.

When I learned to create a pattern to fit me, the first thing we did in the class was measurements, then the math with our chosen yarn and gauge to knit a sweater that fit. Good luck with fixing your sweater.

Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  1:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Good luck. Unfortunately yarnlover is correct, you are going to have to unravel and fix.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  6:47:34 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
You can ravel backwards if you pick the seam out partway up the sleeve. You cannot ravel 1x1 rib backwards, but stockinette comes out fine except at each edge.

You can also, if they're huge and you hate em and don't want to rip, sew down each side with a sewing machine set on zigzag a couple of times. Then cut away the excess knit fabric and reseam on the other side of the machine stitching.

You really have to pay careful attention to how sweaters are photographed. It's like any fashion or food thing. The whole idea is to make the product look appetizing--not accurate. Clip clothespins and duct tape are a professional photographer's best friends. Those big plastic scewers you used to get with big hair rollers work really good on knits too.

It's a lot of extra work to draw a schematic, but if they don't provide on with measurements, I'd be really leery of working a sweater without one.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  7:07:02 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I advise everyone to have their own schematic of the way they want their sweaters to fit in inches so that it can be converted to various gauges. This does not help with the drape of fabrics however. I don't know how to teach the drape of knitted fabric. Some things just need experience.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  7:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
Did you knit the body of the sweater in the round and the sleeves flat? That will affect your gauge.

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  8:23:41 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
Mary, you're not alone. We've all had similar experiences. One of my first and favorite sweaters ended up with sleeves several inches longer than they should have been. Luckily, it was ok when I rolled up the cuffs. Not that cuff-rolling fixed the problem with the almost too tight neckband--but hey, it went on if I pulled hard enough & took off the glasses.

Seriously, if your measurements for your finished sleeves fit the pattern, it may be that the sleeves in the pattern just don't work on your body. That's a common problem & one that can be fixed with a little pattern rewriting.

Anne

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

mary1208
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  11:14:30 AM  Show Profile Send mary1208 a Private Message
Thank you so much for all your great advice and ideas. You are all so generous with your knowledge,experience and empathy! haha!

I had resigned myself to having to redo the sleeves - it's worth it because I love the yarn and the pattern (at least I thought I did! [:(!!]) I really should have matched the measurements on the schematic to another sweater of mine - good advice for next time! I'm going to try and work on it this weekend and let you know how it goes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe