Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 No knitting for one month group (WHAT???)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

littlemaze
New Pal

Australia
46 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  10:42:03 PM  Show Profile Send littlemaze a Private Message
I have noticed in many posts that people have lots of projects that are all knitted but not yet assembled sitting at the bottom of their knitting baskets.

I read this with sadness as 80% of the work is done but without the last 20% these beautiful things are confined to the darkness of the knitting basket, back of the cupboard etc.

How about a "new project hiatus" for one month(?) and in that time projects get sewn up with knitting of collars, bands, borders etc being permitted, or even getting all those WIP finished.

Knitters can report on their progress of items finished and maybe even post photos. I would love to see pictures of all of the beautiful things that get finished. (Maybe the reward for finishing each item is buying some yarn )

What do others think?

Regards,

Littlemaze.

chrisknit
Chatty Knitter

Australia
279 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  01:28:56 AM  Show Profile Send chrisknit a Private Message
Guilty as charged! I went through all my stuff and got a notebook and wrote down projects in order - works I've started, works to finish (sew up etc.), and works yet to start. My works to finish column has four projects - 1. a kipper toy to sew up and stuff
2. a rowan lace cardigan to knit bands and seam
3. a cleakheaton tencel jumper to seam
4. a berroco linet short-sleeved top to seam

I hoped writing it all down would motivate me - has happened yet
but I'm still hoping.
Chrissy

Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  03:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
Oh, I'm already doing something like that, only I'm calling it, "Finish My Sh## Month." I've resolved to get all those "done but for button band" type items DONE and put away for winter (two are wooly sweaters). I'm still working on new knitting projects because it's too hot to sit with a wooly sweater on my lap for long, even in A/C, but I pick up and work on the unfinished items a bit each day - yesterday I sat down and finished the button band on the rose Lamb's Pride cardigan that had been sitting around for at least a couple of months (over 400 stitches in 1x1 rib - oh, my aching hands and brain) - now all it needs is to have buttons sewn on and a few more ends woven in and it's finally DONE. Next will be the gray hoodie which needs button band and hood. I've made a list of my UFOs in Outlook's task list, so they stare me in the face every time I check my mail/calendar, and I pick reasonable deadlines to get them done - if I miss the deadline, the item turns RED and glares at me. It's so nice to be able to check 'em off as done when I finish them.

Catherine
http://www.yorkiedog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dagny
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  05:27:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dagny's Homepage Send Dagny a Private Message
I'm in too! I've got a sweater for the baby that just needs one and 1/2 sleeves done, a scarf that is half done, and the neverending harry potter scarf, which, if I ever finish it, will never be touched by hands of children... after the year it's taken me to do this thing, it's MINE, ALL MINE I say!

sighs... I just can't get into knitting this thing, it's not that I can't, but it so... BORING! If I ever do another I'll add cables or texture or something!

Dagny in Maine

yarn blog
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  06:14:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I don't really have anything like that yet. I have a couple of scarves on needles in addition to the Sitcom Chic I am working on currently but I save those for carpools and such. I took a knitting refresher course 20 years ago and for the class they had us make a sweater, their pattern choice and their yarn choice, I hated both so I never finished the sweater, frogged it and gave all the yarn to the AM Vets.

I guess I could repair my DH socks I made and he put his toe through so I'm in for that!

Dee

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  06:25:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I have only one item unassembled...but perhaps I could promise to have it all done up by the end of August! Sort of a back-to-school thing?

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

lizzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  2:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit lizzi's Homepage Send lizzi a Private Message
I have quite a few things that need to be finished...I just picked back up the largest/longest/most difficult of them and have been plugging along faithfully. It's a giant doily shawl; in the last week I have finished the last 20 rows of the body and gotten just under halfway done with the edging. It's getting kind of old, knitting the same 12 rows of the edging repeat over and over and over again, but the thought of what it will look like when it's done is keeping me going!

Lizzi
http://amimono.blogspot.com

Amimono wa daisuki desu.

Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  4:27:07 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
I have 5 finished but not completed sweaters (or should I say completed but not finished?) They just need side seams sewn, sleeves set in. I signed up for a finishing class at my LYS for July 3 - I promised to finish all of these projects by August 15. Now, as for the 20 as yet unstarted projects (well, I planned the project and bought the yarn and pattern, but have not cast on a stitch. What should I call those?) that is in the hands of the No More Yarn for 1 Month Club - if I can ever whip up the self-discipline to stay off Elann's web site. It is all their fault - quality yarn and sale prices! My 2 favorite things! Debra

Go to Top of Page

mokeymiddle
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  7:51:11 PM  Show Profile Send mokeymiddle a Private Message
I pledge that before I will begin another project I will finish:
1: the last sleeve on the baby sweater
2: the alpaca scarf that has been waiting since October
3: the last four rows of entrelac on the other baby's blanket
4: the other sock
5: the other other sock
I will not finish the bag or the shawl that I started because I have more pressing knitting matters (5! babies coming in November) all from close friends and family deserving of more than just a hat).
Elsje
Go to Top of Page

littlemaze
New Pal

Australia
46 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  12:50:18 AM  Show Profile Send littlemaze a Private Message
Fellow knitters,

Can you believe that the month is up??? How are we going with finishing our UFO's. Would love to see pictures of your finished projects.

My update - errr...ummm...my name is Littlemaze and I'm a UFOer!

Since my first post, I have bought a bunch of yarn, started 4 projects (a scarf, jumper, padded coathanger and an afghan), bought and downloaded a stack of projects I want to do, and was up last night until 1:30am (!) carefully patting and hanging up the 1kg of yarn I dyed! Since I don't have a swift or yarn winder (one on loan is coming once it makes it out of the depths of a friend's stuff), maybe I should finish one of my UFOs......but I am dying (excuse the pun) to knit up the stuff I dyed last night. So my record has not been good!

lol...as I'm typing this post, I keep having to change the number of UFOs in my post as another one pops into my head!!!

Regards,

Littlemaze.

Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  07:33:26 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Hi Littlemaze! Well, I did spend my vacation knitting and finishing, but only got 2 of the 5 done. My excuses: Wanted to get the decorative pillows sewn for my daughter, which took a couple hours. Realized I was probably going to be short on the Tomten jacket for my daughter, and wanted to get it to a point where I could order the rest of the yarn from Elann in the same dyelot - so I knitted on that until Monday noon. Next, I never realized how much finishing was required with a stripped sweater! All those ends to weave in, and changing yarns every few inches. So I still have 3 sweaters to finish, a bunch of stuff to hem up, and then I'll be caught up!

Debra

Go to Top of Page

knittiegirl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  09:56:29 AM  Show Profile Send knittiegirl a Private Message
Why oh why is it so wonderful to start projects!??!?!

Here's my problem. I get new yarn and rush home and read the pattern, make the swatch and start the project. I work on the project until...I buy some yarn on sale that gos with a pattern I've had in mind. I TRY SO HARD to leave the new yarn in the basket until I'm finished with the first project. But the yarn looks so soft and I think , I'll just make the swatch...then I'm off on that one and well, it's a cycle I've got to break.

A few weeks ago I went a little nuts-o and bought a lot of yarn. I DO have a pattern for every single skein bought. I'd been plotting Christmas presents and finally bought the yarn for a ton of them. I've joined the NYFOM club and am successfully not looking at or buying yarn. The problem really is that I all ready have so much yarn at home. I've got:

-1 scarf for niece
-1 Cabin Rug
-1 Afgahn

and have yarn for more!

So, count me in too - No more projects until projects are done!!!

Knittiegirl

Fall down seven times, get up eight.
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  11:43:47 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
No Knitting???? I have to knit!!! I will not start another project until I have the ones I am working on finished. Oh what did I do??? I can't buy yarn...I can't start new projects...I guess I will have to find my joy in completing them now!!! I am in between appts. I have until 1:30 to kill. Good thing I have an office here!!! I did bring my knitting...so I think I will get it out and knit while I wait. Take care.

Vicky(new knitter-HELP!!)
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  12:08:54 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
Count me in!! I really need to finish these...

dish cloth
2 baby hats

doesnt seem like a lot, but when their all in 2x2 ribbing it can drive ya crazy!! Yay! now i have a reason to finish these before i start another baby hat!! aaaaah!! I, too wrote down all my WIP and things i need to start and finish, mostly gifts. then i can really start thinking about my blanket

God Bless
Go to Top of Page

yachting5@yahoo.com

USA
Posted - 08/14/2003 :  12:48:38 PM  Show Profile Send yachting5@yahoo.com a Private Message
quote:

I have noticed in many posts that people have lots of projects that are all knitted but not yet assembled sitting at the bottom of their knitting baskets.

I read this with sadness as 80% of the work is done but without the last 20% these beautiful things are confined to the darkness of the knitting basket, back of the cupboard etc.

How about a "new project hiatus" for one month(?) and in that time projects get sewn up with knitting of collars, bands, borders etc being permitted, or even getting all those WIP finished.

Knitters can report on their progress of items finished and maybe even post photos. I would love to see pictures of all of the beautiful things that get finished. (Maybe the reward for finishing each item is buying some yarn )

What do others think?

Regards,

Littlemaze.

I really don't know how I could ever go a month without knitting. I can't even go one day!! However, recently my husband & I spent a long week end home instead of our usual boating week ends, just to get caught up on projects around the house. He chose the garden & I chose my knitting basket. We both accomplished so much and I finished 2 sweaters that just needed those seams put in.
Thanks

Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  1:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
My problem is a scarf for a x-mas gift. The yarn is lovely, the pattern is lovely, I'm over 1/2 way through, but- ughhhh!!!! I can't stand it. Because the yarn is Simply Soft and the needles are slippery, and the stitches keep falling off. :-( I have promised myself that I will finish it after I finish my socks. But I think I will have to get some wood needles before I can knit it anymore. I can't stand it when my stitches fall off!!!! So frustrating. :-(
Anyway besides that, I'm finishing up my socks & re-knitting the sleeves to my sweater (decided that they were WAY to big so making them narrower). I've got 1 of my x-mas gifts done and need to finish the scarf and make something for my mom, other grandma, and best friend. Then I can make the Colorworks hat and mitten set for me and maybe another pair of socks! Also wantiing to make an afgan...
Sarah :)

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php
(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

qwerty
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  1:41:54 PM  Show Profile Send qwerty a Private Message
It sounds like we all enjoy the knitting part but not the finishing! I know I do,this is my solution:I spend an hour in the morning on finishing,then at night while watching T.V.I can knit to my hearts content.Happy Knitting. Maggie.
Go to Top of Page

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  1:54:02 PM  Show Profile Send moxie a Private Message
Blast it, I was doing so well and then suddenly I blew over $150 on yarn and knitting this week! That's why NYF1M is not working so well for me... I tend not to buy anything for months anyway, and then I suddenly binge. So, if I don't buy for one month, I end up spending $100 later... if I don't buy for two months, my binge is $200... It looks like I accumulate a constant amount of yarn desire per month, doesn't it?

I have 4 projects that need to go OUT before anything more comes IN:
1. boucle cardigan, need to frog and reknit sleeves (for the third time), button band, and collar. However, if I wait for two and half more years this project will be able to celebrate its 10th anniversary!
2. child's hoodie cardigan, all knit but need to line it somehow and put in a zipper or buttons
3. cotton tank top-- already worn a couple of times but I am redoing the back (would take only 15 minutes to finish!)
4. husband's socks... the first sock was too large so I just frogged it down to the instep again and reknit the heel.
5. another tomten jacket, needs hood, arms, and fastening.
6. Lots and lots of spinning!!! My room is being taken over by fiber!

Moxie
Go to Top of Page

Knittin DLight
Warming Up

68 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  2:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knittin DLight's Homepage Send Knittin DLight a Private Message
What a great idea! I have several projects that I commit to finish before buying more yarn for a new project.

· PRIORITY #1 - Afghan for for my sister that was intended to be a Christmas 2002 gift. She bugs me about it everytime she sees that I have started a new project. Her birthday is in a few weeks and I WILL finish it before then. I only have another 5 inches to go but it's so hard to pick it up again.
· Scarf for a birthday gift - the birthday has passed so I need to finish ASAP
· Hooded tank - summer is almost over so I need to get to it
· Poncho - this will be nice once the heat wave here in LA is over

Wow! I'll keep you posted of my progress. I must remember - no new yarn, no new projects. This is going to be an interesting month!

Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  3:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Well, I haven't knit this month yet. I'm a first year teacher and school startd Monday. I don't have time to knit! Seriously, I'm stuck doing all of this paperwork. The paperwork...

"Hon var nio år, och hon bodde där alldeles ensam."
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  3:48:01 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Congrats Biodb8er! A teacher. How great! Lots of paper. What level are you teaching at??? I have many friends who are teachers and they are constantly doing paperwork!!! It's such a great profession. You will eventually get organized and have more time for yourself. Until then...you must take the time! YOu deserve it. That way also you are more relaxed and can teach better. Good luck.

Vicky(new knitter-HELP!!)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.