Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Left-handed knitting
 Circular Sock Knitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

LadySpring
Chatty Knitter

127 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  4:54:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit LadySpring's Homepage Send LadySpring a Private Message
Okay, I have a question. But first...I am right handed but I knit left handed. I taught myself how to knit and that is how I taught myself and I haven't looked back since. I generally don't have a problem with patterns and such but the other day, I decided to try knitting socks on two circular needles instead of DPNs. I have read and heard it is faster, easier, etc. I sat down last night and cast on stitchs and started knitting using directions from a book, as usual. I knit the stitches off of needle 1 and, when it came to knitting the stitches off of needle 2, I hit a wall. The stitches I needed to knit were at the other end of needle 2 so, to 'correct' the problem, I had to slide the stitches to the other end of my circular needle and then knit them. Knitting socks this way seems neither faster nor easier. So my question is...Am I doing something wrong here or is that what y'all have had to do when attempting to knit socks on two circs? Does anyone have any suggestions? Help...please...help...

Knitting away,
Erika

Knitters know a good yarn or two...

Fivefibers
Permanent Resident

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  6:13:51 PM  Show Profile Send Fivefibers a Private Message
I knit socks with two circs. I taught myself and have no problems. Much faster, IMO.

I'm trying to figure out what you did. Did you continue knitting after you finished needle #1? If so, simply rearrange your stitches. No biggie. You just need to get the rhythm.

When you begin to knit, you pick up the end of needle #1. AS SOON AS those stitches are off one side of the needle and onto the other end of the SAME circ, then proceed with needle #2 and pick up the end of that circ, and knit those stitches from one end to the other.

Fivefibers
2sheep; 3goats; 5bunnies
(so far)
Go to Top of Page

Dejhia
Chatty Knitter

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  07:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dejhia's Homepage  Send Dejhia a Yahoo! Message Send Dejhia a Private Message
I'm not sure what you did wronge, but I've never had to rearnge stitches or anything else. Unfortuanly, I'm still on my first cup of morning caffeene or else I would sit here and try to figure out what is not right. Though, it sounds like FiveFibers did that already.

~ heather
www.dejhia.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  10:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
re: I am right handed but I knit left handed.

define that--
A--do you knit your stitches ROM Left hand needle onto Right hand needle, HOLDING the YARN IN YOUR LEFT HAND?

or do
B--you knit your stitches FROM Right hand needle onto Left hand needle HOLDING the YARN IN YOUR LEFT HAND?

if the answere is A, that is normal, and you likely knit continental or combination style.

if the answer is B, you knit true left hand or reverse knitting.

and yes, with 2 on 2 circs, you move the stitches from one end of the circ (an over sized DPN when you think about) to the other, just as you move stitches on DPN's from one end to the other as you knit in the round.

I've started a blog...
http://golden-apples.blogspot.com/

but you can still just see my photo albums of mostly knitting. http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe