Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Designers Forum
 Writing patterns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donncoop
Chatty Knitter

111 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  01:43:30 AM  Show Profile Send donncoop a Private Message
I began writing patterns a few years ago. I would find a sweater or vest I likes and literally count the stitches, increases and decreases etc. I then took some classes at stitches with Barry and Melissa and I started to really understand pattern design. This has really helped me when I needed to adjust sizes.

I am stumped on how to combine yarns, textures. Are there guidelines or do you just go with your gut?

Sometimes I think I look for too many rules rather than just let it come to me. Any advise?

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  03:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Swatch, practice, swatch, sketch, swatch, read some design books, swatch, read some fashion books, swatch, and swatch again.

Amanda Takes Off... and
Amanda Knits

Only you can decide how tongue in cheek I am.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  07:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
if "swatching" bores you to death, you might try making miniature versions of your ideas while playing with combining yarns. think: fit a teddy bear or a doll. just a thought.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  12:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
And then, you could be a renagade like me and swear off swatching in lieu of free-range knitting where the ideas flow uninhibited (or, just peck around the barnyard of my imagination seeking crumbs). Not for the faint of heart, true enough.
Much depends on your personal style, of course. Are you analytical or do ideas flow forth much like miasma from an eupting volcano?

In terms of gaining control over your ideas in a practical way, I suggest following Amanda's advice. She's a technical genius and both practical AND creative. If she suggests swatching, swatching's good. Me, I just sort of bubble and stew, occasionally doing a swatch but avoiding it wherever possible.

http://www.janethornley.com/journal_knitters.php
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  12:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Of course, Ms. Tangled Jane and I design very, very different things. What was that? Divas vs Hepburn? Hee hee. :)

Or, we could just think of Tangled Jane's work as another version of Knitz2's idea? Instead of being small swatches she makes huge ones that work.

Amanda Takes Off... and
Amanda Knits

Only you can decide how tongue in cheek I am.
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  2:18:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by Atavistic

Of course, Ms. Tangled Jane and I design very, very different things. What was that? Divas vs Hepburn? Hee hee. :)

Amanda, remember Hepburn didn't do felted Viking Helmets. (I can almost imagine her wearing one, though. Maybe in a movie called 'Viking Queen'???)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe