Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Something doesn't add up
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lashka
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  08:07:34 AM  Show Profile Send lashka a Private Message
Hi there,

I'm knitting a lacy hat in the round. It has 140 sts and the pattern repeat is 9 sts.....this doesn't add up. It says to knit until end of row....do I just ignore my marker and carry on?
thanks,
lashka

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  08:15:02 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
No, don't ignore your marker. I would go back to the pattern and double check it. Does it have a few increases/decreases after the ribbing to bring the stitch count to a number divisible by nine? 140 seems like a very large cast on. What is the style of the hat? Can you give us a source for the pattern so we can check it out?

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lashka
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  08:55:39 AM  Show Profile Send lashka a Private Message
It is a freebie lacy knit hat and the address is
www.123hjemmeside.kh/MyKnittingRoom/714527. Hope this helps and I really appreciate your help as well!
Lashka
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  09:03:07 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Message says no such site exists.

Is this in a very fine yarn? As Fran said that is a lot of stitches to cast on, unless you are doing a lot of decreases and increases.

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lashka
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  09:13:41 AM  Show Profile Send lashka a Private Message
It's knit on 3mm needles. Yarn used is Opal, Dreamcatcher.
the First row reads:

"p1, k2tog, k1, yo, k1, yo, k1, k2together by knitting in the back loop, p1" repeat from "to "till end of row

2nd row is "P1, k7, P1" till end of row

all even rows are "Pl, K7, Pl" till end of row.

Just noticed that this is a Vigdis Marie design and I belive that's her website. Hope this helps.
Lashka
Go to Top of Page

Solaris
Permanent Resident

Canada
4159 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  10:17:29 AM  Show Profile Send Solaris a Private Message
This pattern seems to be problematic, but then I am not a very experienced knitter. I looked at the site (btw, it works if you remember to put http:// in front of www):
http://www.123hjemmeside.dk/MyKnittingRoom/714527

Re. pattern: I don't know what to tell you. I see what you mean, it looks like it DOES work out to 9 sts per repeat, until row 7, when you'll end up with 8 sts/repeat (am I right?), so then how are you going to do row 8, which needs 9 sts? Seems like a double problem.

this is part of the pattern:

Start Lace-pattern :
Row 1: * P1, K2 tog, K1, YO, K1, YO, K1, knit 2 together by knitting in the back loop, P1*, repeat from * to * till end of row. starts w 9sts and ends w 9 sts/repeat
Rows 2, 4, 6 and 8: * P1, K7, P1* , till end of row. - which is 2p+7K=9 sts
Row 3: * P1, K2 tog, YO, K3, YO, knit 2 together by knitting in the back loop , P1 *, repeat from * to * till end of row. ends w 9 sts/repeat
Row 5: * P1, K1, YO, knit 2 together by knitting in the back loop, K1, K2 tog, YO, K1, P1 *, repeat from * to * till end of row. ends w 9sts/repeat
Row 7: * P1, K2, YO, slip 1 as if to knit, K2 tog, pass slip stitch over, K2, P1*, repeat from * to * till end of row. Ends w 8 sts/repeat. Maybe it should be slip1,k1,psso?
Repeat these 8 rows 6 times.

If you work with 9 st repeat, it would mean that your closest co st count would be 135, ie. for 15 repeats. But then, how are you going to do your 2k/2p ribbing? HOWEVER... I am not an experienced knitter. I just got intrigued by this conundrum because I contemplated making this hat at some point. Maybe some of the more advanced KR members will see what I don't see and understand. I just don't envision how this pattern could be done in the round having 140 sts cast on and that st count change in row 7 (next row does not compensate for that decrease). Unless the pattern is supposed to spiral somehow? It's hard to see from the picture on the web. Why don't you cast on a multiple of 9 sts and do a swatch? See if that works out to something that makes sense, plus, you'll get a gauge out of it too. It'll be wise to check out the top decrease section too. Can you e-mail the designer and ask? Sorry that I couldn't be of more help to you. [:((]
Go to Top of Page

SFMichael
Gabber Extraordinaire

437 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  10:27:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit SFMichael's Homepage Send SFMichael a Private Message
What a terribly written pattern.

Just glancing through I see a few mistakes in it that are going to cause you some problems.

I'll try to annotate here:

Start Lace-pattern : you are absolutely right -- this will not make 140 sts. Try casting on with 144 stitches to begin.
Row 1: * P1, K2 tog, K1, YO, K1, YO, K1, knit 2 together by knitting in
the back loop, P1*, repeat from * to * till end of row.
Rows 2, 4, 6 and 8: * P1, K7, P1* , till end of row.
Row 3: * P1, K2 tog, YO, K3, YO, knit 2 together by knitting in the back
loop , P1 *, repeat from * to * till end of row.
Row 5: * P1, K1, YO, knit 2 together by knitting in the back loop, K1,
K2 tog, YO, K1, P1 *, repeat from * to * till end of row.
Row 7: * P1, K2, YO, slip 1 as if to knit, K2 tog, pass slip stitch over, YO, K2,
P1*, repeat from * to * till end of row.

Repeat these 8 rows, 6 times.

The top decrease:
You'll need to work a decrease row first: *K2tog, K6, P1*
1 - 4 : * K7, P1*, repeat from * - *
5 : * K2 tog, K5, P1*, repeat from * - *
6 - 8 : * K6, P1*, repeat from * - *
9 : * K2 tog, K4, P1*, repeat from * - *
10-12 : * K5, P1*, repeat from * - *
13 : * K2 tog, K3, P1*, repeat from * - *
14-16 : * K4, P1*, repeat from * - *
17 : * K2 tog, K2, P1*, repeat from * - *
18-20 : * K3, P1 *, repeat from * - *
21 : * K2 tog, K1, P1*, repeat from * - *
22 : * K2, P1 *, repeat from * - *
23 : * K2 tog, P1*, repeat from * - *
24 : * K2 tog *, repeat from * - *

You'll still have 16 sts remaining, so you might work row 24 1 - 2 more times to get down to 8 or 4 sts. the run your tail yarn through all those stitches with a crochet hook or tapetry needle, pull it tight and weave it in.

Michael
http://pages.prodigy.net/maecooper/
Go to Top of Page

lashka
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  10:44:29 AM  Show Profile Send lashka a Private Message
thank you all very much for your help!!! Knitting should not cause this much vexation and stress!! I'm almost afraid to carry on with this but I truly appreciate your help regardless!
Lashka
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  2:41:00 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Be sure you get a g;auge of between 6 to 8 stitches per inch. At 8 stitches per inch you will be making a size 18 inch hat. At 6 stitches per inch it would be a size 23 inch hat.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.