Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 The Curse of the Love Sweater?
 The curse is I can't afford access to the pattern!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sorka
Gabber Extraordinaire

486 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  7:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sorka's Homepage  Send Sorka a Yahoo! Message Send Sorka a Private Message
Oh man I am frustrated! The new monthly pattern Rowan just put out is like THE pattern! But I can't get to it! I can't afford the membership and that is the only way to get it!
WAHHHHH oh well .. see I am doomed before I even start!

Denise
My blog has moved to KnitChat.com
come on over!

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  8:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
but it looks easy enough to chart out for yourself! big box, rectangles, big funnel neck, oversized cables- maybe this is your opportunity to do some design work!

~Sarah Elizabeth
 Spinners make the world go round.
Keep on knitting on!
http://knitonespintoo.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  11:00:17 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Sorka, show it to the guy who want to make the sweater for and ask him to pay for it.

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  06:41:06 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
Denise,
Here are some alternatives, although I could not find a men's celtic cable pattern among them:

This is not a Celtic cable but a wonderful pattern--maybe someone you know has this issue?

http://www.interweave.com/knit/interweave_knits/back_issues/F_03.asp

There is a book called Men in Knits that has several Aran sweaters both cardis and pullovers, but none are Celtic Cables. You can find it used on Amazon. I looked in Alice Starmore's Celtic book and there was nothing similar for men.

Also keep your eye on Knitswap.com as people there have old issues of IK or books for sale--KR does too.

VK had a men's issue a few years ago. I found it online, but cannot remember where. Here is a link:

http://www.gotyarn.com/detail.cfm?ID=2747

Also Penny Straker has men's cable patterns. The Irish Ewe carries them.

If you decide to knit something for your Bf or DH be sure to get their approval first. I have 2 sons, 19 and 22, and a DH, and they rarely like something that I show them including the suggestions above.

Hope this helps. I agree $55 seems a lot for 2 Rowan magazines. I joined one year and did not use any of the free patterns as they did appeal to me, but I agree with you, that sweater is very handsome.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Sorka
Gabber Extraordinaire

486 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  09:27:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sorka's Homepage  Send Sorka a Yahoo! Message Send Sorka a Private Message
Thanks all it is abit much for two mags but you do get a kit and exclusive patterns..I think I will manage after all.. I actually have men in knits already but none of them will "do"..
And the guy is my hubby.. we are trying to emulate Wash's sweater from Firefly..
So even though this is 'the pattern' I still will have to do a bit of fiddling

Denise
come on over!
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  11:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message
You might find a pattern that could be adapted in the old Knitters Magazine title, "Arans & Celtics." If you like Aran sweaters, this is one to drool over.

-- susi

--That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  12:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message
How lucky you are to have a hubby who didn't sleep through Firefly... Mine is perfect in every other way, but the snoozing through sci fi, chick flicks, and pretty much anything but espn. Good luck with the sweater! Sarah.
Go to Top of Page

Sorka
Gabber Extraordinaire

486 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  4:22:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sorka's Homepage  Send Sorka a Yahoo! Message Send Sorka a Private Message
WEll actually he is the one who watched it all. I have yet to see the episode.. I keep asking him.. all I have to go on is sketchy stills! But that cable is definitely the one.. thanks again for even more sources all!!

Denise
come on over!
Go to Top of Page

Jagienka
Chatty Knitter

Ireland
101 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  04:48:58 AM  Show Profile Send Jagienka a Private Message
There is a lovely free sweater pattern for your man here ...
http://www.magknits.com/Oct05/patterns/durrow.htm

It has a great celtic knots on the sleeves and the body is simple and fast to knit. I've just finished one for my sweetie (with few modifications). This was the first (and so far the only) project that he liked and it was fun to knit!
Oh, and I do not believe the sweater curse... we are still a couple and I'm already thinking about another celtic sweater for him.

A.
Go to Top of Page

Kiwiknitter
Chatty Knitter

124 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  05:19:57 AM  Show Profile Send Kiwiknitter a Private Message
The pattern is from the new Rowan Scottish Inspirations pattern book. It is available in Britain, but not sure if it has shipped here yet.
You may like to e-mail elizabeth@theknittinggarden.com to see if she will be getting it as she usually gets all the latest Rowan books.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  11:39:27 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
Thank you Christine! I love that sweater too and hesitate to join Rowan just for that.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?