Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Ideal Knitting Bag
 Smith & Hawken tool bags
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leslie41
Chatty Knitter

223 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  10:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leslie41's Homepage Send Leslie41 a Private Message
I can't recommend this bag highly enough as a knitting bag. I bought one at $30 when it wasn't on sale, and still felt that I was getting a bargain. It's extremly sturdy but also I think attractive.

http://www.smithandhawken.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=prod295473&categoryId=cat130170&sku=23314

And the pockets--there are six on the outside and four on the inside. Two inside pockets are both big enough to hold a large book (like Vogue Knitting), or a folder or binder. Then you've got eight other pockets for practically anything, PLUS a space big enough inside to hold a larger project and a lot of yarn.

I just bought my second.

manika
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  10:57:31 AM  Show Profile Send manika a Private Message
this is a really good-looking bag! looks like it can last a lifetime (my bag's only 3 months old and isn't holding up, but it's been on a few flights including one overseas). i love the colors especially in pistacio. thanks so much for the link. i never would've thought to look at smith & hawken for knitting bags.

www.highstrungyarns.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  11:10:54 AM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message
That looks really interesting. Are the straps long enough so you can carry the bag over your shoulder?

sja
Go to Top of Page

Leslie41
Chatty Knitter

223 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  4:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Leslie41's Homepage Send Leslie41 a Private Message
looks like it can last a lifetime

Oh, I'll bet! The material is super-strong--sort of a canvas/nylon mix. Yet the bag doesn't have that "toolbag" sort of feel to it, with flappy canvas and those thin straps. The straps are actually lightly padded, believe it or not. It's incredibly made.

Are the straps long enough so you can carry the bag over your shoulder?

Yup--more than long enough. But if the bag is chock-full your arm will stick out a bit!

I've been tempted by the bath and body works bags but this bag is bigger, has far more pockets (what sold me was the TWO pockets big enough to hold magazines and big books!), and and it's not a "with purchase" purchase! It's $20, flat.

'Course I ordered it online and it was about $7 to ship. But if you have a Smith & Hawken nearby they probably have the bags on sale there as well.
Go to Top of Page

abbierose
Seriously Hooked

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  08:37:46 AM  Show Profile Send abbierose a Private Message
I've had this bag for awhile, and it's AWESOME!!!! The absolute best knitting bag. All of the pockets keep everything organized, the two large pockets hold papers, and patterns and books and everything. Run, don't walk, to buy one of these :)

Melissa
My blog:Tia Knits
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2361 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  06:56:42 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
I bought two of these last year when they were on sale at a great price - they make wonderful carry-ons for airline travel. Very sturdy.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

manika
Chatty Knitter

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  2:36:55 PM  Show Profile Send manika a Private Message
i went to the nearest smith & hawken after i saw this post and they had the bag (but not in the same great colors offered online, and not on sale!). i did a quick evaluation to see if i wanted to order it and it exceeded my expectations. it's a great size, not too big, not too small and very well constructed. i ran home and ordered the green one right away (it came out to around $30 with tax and shipping, but i know it's worth it). i can't wait til it arrives! p.s. this would be a great gift for any knitter...

www.highstrungyarns.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  2:44:57 PM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message
We stopped at a large Target since I had noticed a Smith & Hawken section there on our last visit (at a smaller one) but it had nothing remotely resembling what I saw on the website. The "local" S&H store isn't very convenient. I do have a birthday coming. Hmmm. [!]

sja
Go to Top of Page

csutliff
Chatty Knitter

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  11:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit csutliff's Homepage Send csutliff a Private Message
I bought the B & B denim one today and like it alot. I like that it zips too. This one is cute and looks like it could hold alot but I am such a clutz I would drop it and find everything rolling or spilling out all over. I like that B & B tote zips...plus bonus I got some new body stuffs...heheee

Crystal
"Get your Knit On" http://www.freewebs.com/csutliff/
My Yahoo Knit Group!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganknitters/
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3290 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  11:03:49 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

This sounds so incredibly cool, I would never have thought of it, I am going to go to my local Bunnings and see if they have anything like it.

Wish me luck.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

mer4205
Chatty Knitter

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  7:15:32 PM  Show Profile Send mer4205 a Private Message
I just bought one of these this weekend and it is truly fantastic! Love it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe