Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Standard Gauge Machines
 What Should I buy?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gadget@ameritech.net
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  04:54:59 AM  Show Profile Send gadget@ameritech.net a Private Message
I'm a hand knitter who aquired a Toyota 858 Standard gauge punchcard knitting machine and have had very limited success getting the thing to work. The knitting falls off on the 2nd row. I knit the first row on every other needle, hang the hem weight, and push the other needles out, and knit. The stitches don't stay on and I'm stumped! I think its partly me and partly the machine. I have on 2 or 3 occasions actually knitted a swatch and even did some 2 color work--but I was only sucsessful 3 out of 24 attempts. Due to my fustration, I'm looking to purchase a new machine. I'm appealing to experienced knitters to give me some advice.

I'm thinking of a punchcard system because the electronic are just too expensive! And a standard gauge. I'm going to make an appointment at a LYS to see some machines. I would like to make sweaters and socks, for starters. Can you make circular socks if you have a ribber? Would you reccomend the Artisian 245 w/ ribber? Do I need a ribber? What brands do you have experience with and what do you like or dislike about the machine?

Ok, and because I'm frugal, can I purchase the machine online at a substantial discount and figure out how to use it myself, or should I purchase it locally? And if you know of a good online spot to purchase one, please send me the link.

Thanks for your input.

wrknits
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  12:11:18 PM  Show Profile Send wrknits a Private Message
Don't give up on your Toyota just yet. It could be something as simple as replacing the needle retaining (sponge) bar. A new one will run you around $20 to $30 and it can make a difference between night and day in the knitting. Contact someone like The KnitKnack Shop, Junebug's Place, Newton's or Needle-tek to see if they carry a sponge bar to fit your machine. You should be able to google any of those businesses to find contact info.

BTW to locate the sponge bar look at your machine from the side. In the front under the needle bed there should be a small rectangular opening (both sides). Use the handle of your tappet tool to push the sponge bar out. If the foam is all flat and dirty/greasy it needs replacing. Make note when you take it out which side is up. On my Brother the metal side goes up. You also have to remove this bar to replace any bent or broken needles.

wrknits
Go to Top of Page

Shay
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  1:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shay's Homepage Send Shay a Private Message
As the previous poster said: it's the needle retaining bar. The spongy part degrades over time.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe