Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 "The Book"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Old Knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
790 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  05:23:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Old Knitter's Homepage Send Old Knitter a Private Message
I want one knitting book that will have every abbreviation, stitch, technique and proper illustration in it. (By the way, the abbreviations will have detailed instructions.) It will index yarn and needles with critiques of each. It will also not be heavy, will have a ringed binder and will be inexpensive.

www.knittinghaven.com

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  07:46:03 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Me too, me too!

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  08:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Good one

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

mkfromKansas
Chatty Knitter

339 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  12:49:34 PM  Show Profile Send mkfromKansas a Private Message
I was able to print off 4 pages of abbreviations by going to knittingfool.com on the Net. All for free! I've been able to build up quite a library of basic knits from the Net. Those basics give me an idea of how much yarn to get for just about any basic iten I might want to make for basic charity knitting, leaving my $$ free to buy the snazzy stuff for special items. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Heather
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  1:05:32 PM  Show Profile Send Heather a Private Message
What we need is something like the device that is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but for knitters.

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
-G.K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  2:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
Hey, that sounds like a great idea! Why don't you create it! You'd have lots of takers here. I might even need two of them! :-)

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  5:43:46 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message
At the risk of sounding dumb, I'd also like a list of abbreviations that people use when talking here. I know some of the basics and can figure out more, but occasionally people use letters that I cannot puzzle out....am I the only one?
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3942 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  10:31:11 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
Here's a link to an internet acronym dictionary:
http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/ it's the most complete one I have seen and should answer your questions about the abbreviations.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  1:49:37 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message
Thank you!!! Now I'll always know the langauge!
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3942 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  05:24:49 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
You're welcome!

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  08:38:55 AM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message
I have three binders on the desk next to the computer. One for recipes I print, one for knitting info and techniques and one for patterns I would like to try. One of these days I'll even get around to organizing them with labelled dividers, I hope!

[meow]Linda

"Honey, a man can't keep his gun in a cookie jar. It just isn't done!" - Janet Evanovich
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  09:28:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Heather

What we need is something like the device that is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but for knitters.

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
-G.K. Chesterton

Oooh, yes.

~Sarah Elizabeth
 Spinners make the world go round.
Keep on knitting on!
http://knitonespintoo.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page