Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 toy penguin - NOT!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  07:25:58 AM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message
I wanted to make a penguin for a co-worker who would have a baby in the winter. After all - anyone could give the baby a teddy bear..why not go with the penguin?

Well I wanted to get the penguin done in time for the shower. Big Mistake becaue I took short cuts. Short cuts I do not recomend doing...[blush]

The bird did not go to the shower and now a new one is being made.

By making the short cuts I did, I ended up with a bird but not a penguin.

Anyone remember Rodulph saves Baby New Year? The Bird that steals Baby New Year - well that is what the penguin looked like - in black, white and gold..

My father who is a big fan of sci-fi even said you cannot give that to a poor baby! The poor child will have nightmares...

I am so glad the second one LOOKS like a penguin - following the pattern without the short cuts.

Anyone who wants to laugh - can. I know you are laughing with me and not at me! I will try to get a picture of the strange bird and add it to my web page for anyone interested. Plus a picture of the penguin.

scraffan

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  12:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
I don't know what pattern you're using, but "Pasha" from Knitty is pretty cute. I made it for my ex for Christmas last year (no relevance between the knitting and the "ex" part, I promise!), and he loved it.

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  3:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
I bet the baby would have loved it and it would have been unique!

I remember making a blanket with a hood for my little nephew that had a mouse's ears, nose and face on it - looked really cute on the pattern. The knitted parts looked fine but so poor are my embroidery skills, when it came to adding the 'fine detail' the poor thing looked like it was cross eyed after a night on the gin...

George still adored it.

Jane

'I am the milkman of human kindness - I will leave an extra pint' Billy Bragg
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  5:54:51 PM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message
I made Pasha (mentioned above) and he's adorable. Actually, I made 3 and put them all away for when babies are big enough (one here, one expected in October, and the third I'm waiting to hear about in a year or so. Pasha looked much more like a penguin than the penguin in Tracy Chapman's book, who is cute also but different.

But you know, babies don't care as much as we do if they can grab the toy and chew on it and hug it and then the mum can toss it in the washer and drier. Maybe you can give the bird to the baby for her/his 6 month birthday.

sja
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  6:59:28 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message
I believe that Tracy Chapman wrote a book on patterns of toys. The penguin, fish,monkey, etc. That is where I took the pattern from. So far so good..It is in blocking stages now and drying nicely.
Will let you know the out come after sewing and stuffing.
As for the volture..well I am keeping it

scraffan
Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  7:47:34 PM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message
scraffan:

Yes, that's the Tracy Chapman book I meant. I've knit the kangaroo and joey from there -- haven't sewn them together yet -- but the tail instructions are clearly wrong (should be nothing like a mouse's tail!) and I've asked for a correction. Someone else posted on one of these forums about an error in the elephant pattern. The publisher told me they were planning an errata for the book in the next few weeks.

A vulture, hmmm. Must be wonderfully --- well, my SIL said the big cow I made for her was "stunning" -- she couldn't figure out any other applicable term. This was from the Debbie Bliss book of country knits for kids -- I made the big cow all rust brown because they have Jerseys, which don't look at all like Holsteins. I also made the little cows (also rust brown) and the little sheep (black and white). So maybe your bird could be considered stunning? [:00]

sja
Go to Top of Page

SurfinSandy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
473 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  09:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit SurfinSandy's Homepage Send SurfinSandy a Private Message
I did Pasha last year for my teenage son who likes penguins. I don't think mine was quite as cute as Pasha online, but it was very close and he loved it (I used Red Heart yarn too, might explain it!)
Pasha was easier than I expected, and fun.

Surfin'Sandy

No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes.
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  6:51:29 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message
I will have to try Pasha. Although the 2nd penguin following the directions in Tracy's book - made the penguin looks like a penguin!
Although after reading other people's views and issues with the book..robbie the fish and the star fish will have to wait...I will not free knowingly torture myself with a pattern that could be/might be wrong...
scraffan
Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  8:27:06 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message
Hi Scraffan - I know EXACTLY what you went through! I have been making toys for many years - since my children were little - and I still remember "protobunny". I was knitting him for a school fete and hadn't been knitting toys for very long at that time.I tried to adapt a bear pattern and the toy was a disaster. Fortunately my daughter took him for her own and he was much loved.(Bit like the velveteen rabbit really but with a happier story and outcome)Thereafter every prototype toy I made that went wrong beacame part of protobunny"s family!!!My daughter is grown up now with a daughter of her own but I must ask her what happened to protobunny. Probably hopping around out in the bush with the velvetine rabbit! Here's to success!! regards Lucylocket.
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  6:36:30 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message
Hi Luckylocket,
I am glad your toy even if it was odd was a success. The small penguin I decided could go under the tree at the yarn store. I am sure a baby will like it. I said volture but my knitting instructor said platapuss. Either way when other knitters saw it they agreed a baby would like it.

As for the second one I made it was a larger plattapuss..er penguin. My co worker saw that and went crazy. He was torn between having a new office mascot for himself or giving it to baby. He said there was no volture present in the toy...Definately penguin.

Scraffan
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  6:43:55 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message
sjanova
I already put the book in the recycleing bin. A Kangaroo tail wider than a mouse's tail..longer and heads down at an angle. Mouse's tail, long, narrow maybe curly depending on breed?
I am sorry to hear about your kangaroo..

For now I am through with toys for awhile..maybe I will try booties next? Something a little less stressful
scraffan
Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  7:58:05 PM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message
scraffan:

Discarding the book? Hmm. Well, I have seen lots of errata for other books on various websites, so I'm hoping the publisher gets these up soon. The elephant correction was minor, from what I saw in the posting. If you don't want to stash it in the back of the shelf until you feel like another try (perhaps with the errata sheet in hand), maybe someone at your LYS would like the book to experiment with because the other patterns are interesting and cute -- this is the nicest looking kangaroo and joey I've seen, for example. But you're pretty frustrated with it, so I certainly can understand that action.

I could probably figure out a tail for the larger kangaroo myself -- as you say, thick at the body end, tapering to a point, more or less. But it's not an I-cord type of tail, for sure.

Sounds as if the second attempt at the penguin turned out highly appreciated!

sja
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  4:43:33 PM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message
The second penguin was a success. Although 'baby' lost custody of the penguin.The bayb is expected in November/December. Big brother (age 2 and a half) claims the penguin as his!
Dragging the book from the recycling bin...may the third attempt be as successful as number 2!
scraffan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?