Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Help With Custom Fit Fingerless Mitts
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fantasy0101
Warming Up

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  9:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fantasy0101's Homepage Send Fantasy0101 a Private Message
I am having a difficult time with the metrics on how to convert to American measurements. My sizes is.....

Cir of hand 9" (22.86cm)
Cir of thumb 3.5" (8.89cm)
Distance base
of thumb to
base of index 2" (5.08cm)

Do I use a circular needle? What size? How long? OR Do I use dpn's? What size?

This is what is stated on the label of the yarn that I am using: Caron Wintuk knitting gauge: 4.5 stitches per inch, 6 rows per inch. Size 8 needles.

Here is the pattern link.....

http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/mittens/mitts-to-fit.html

Since the pattern is all in metric I will need the pattern re written in American.

Hope that someone could help me with this.

thanks!

Virginia

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  9:51:00 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
All you need is a calculator. Print out the worksheet and have it ready to go. you have already measured yourself in centimeters so you plug those numbers in the right place on the worksheet.

Work a gauge swatch yourself. The recommended gauge is not necessarily what you will get. Pick needles you feel comfortable with with the yarn. It could be anything from size 5 tosize 10 really. Make a swatch and measure it to get your gauge. If you measure in inches, multiply by 2.5 for centimeters.

As far as what needles to use, I expect you'd have best luck using DPKN if it's knitted in the round. Even a small circular would likely stretch the yarn too much. You can use the magic loop technique, but that is a bit fiddly unless you have some experience knitting.

Good luck,

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  04:52:27 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Take your measurements and your gauge in numbers you are familiar with. If you like inches, use inches. Take the worksheet and fill in the numbers in inches. That takes care of all the horizontal numbers. For the vertical numbers, there are only a few numbers to change on the pattern. Where it says to work ribbing for 5 cm, do it for 2 inches. Where it says to work for 1 cm, do it for 1/2 inch. (actually a scant half inch). Get rid of all of those decimal points, you are making it too difficult for yourself.

Use the type of needles you prefer for knitting small circumferences. For suggestions, go to www.knittinghelp.com They have videos of all three techniques.

For mitts, I prefer a tighter gauge, so I usually knit worsted weight yarns on a sz 5 or 6 needle. I do it to increase the warmth and knit them with about 5 or 6 stitches per inch.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  09:27:16 AM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
There is a free converter here:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

I'm hopelessly metric-impaired too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by