Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 To organize my patterns.......
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Old Knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
790 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  03:03:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Old Knitter's Homepage Send Old Knitter a Private Message
I have notebooks...they are labled....my husband built a bookcase for them....but, everytime I start to catagorize them I get side tracked. It could all be so nice. Instead all my patterns, books and loose sheets are piled in two boxes in front of the book case. What a waste!

www.knittinghaven.com

Elisjay
New Pal

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  03:08:39 AM  Show Profile Send Elisjay a Private Message
Must admit I would like to get organized in this respect too. I have bits of paper and note pads in one place and patterns in nearly every drawer and cupboard shelf. Think I must really get down to this instead of just thinking about it
Go to Top of Page

SurfinSandy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
473 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  09:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit SurfinSandy's Homepage Send SurfinSandy a Private Message
I buy lots of the the 3 prong pocket folders when they are cheap for back to school. I keep my patterns semi-organized with them. I get a variety of colors, and use one folder for shawls, one for hats, one for things on my to-do list etc.... I'm far from perfectly organized too, but it helps....

Surfin'Sandy

No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes.
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  3:12:46 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
I have virtually all the kniiting and crochet leaflets from 1970 to 1990, I have virtually every specialty issue of the big companies from 1960 to 2000. I have every issue of Knitters from the beginning to 200-.I have needlework magazines inherited from relatives going back to the 1800s. It takes up a LOT of room and no matter how I try, isn't really organizable unless I cut magazines up--have a real problem with this.

I am SLOWLY getting all my patterns loaded into what will eventually be one mother of a database. Best estimates are something more than 10,000 patterns. What I do with all of it then, I don't know. I'm thinking something on the order of a subscription library online maybe if the legal angle works out. I don't necessarily want to make money from the patterns, but I think maybe some of the yarn companies would pay me to rate equivalents for long gone yarns. There really isn't much that is genuinely new under the knitting sun. More or less shaping and more or less ease is pretty much the only difference between today, 1980 something and 1960 something. (You didn't think the 80s INVENTED stirrup pants and leggings did you?) (And Coco Chanel invented Vogue's "popsicle silhouette" with a lower hemline in about 1962.)

My biggest ambition isn't to get my patterns organized--although it's a big one indeed, but to learn enough to write a sweater design program I can stand. I've looked at and played with several and they all just tick me off. I want one that will show me how a yarn will LOOK and I want one that will immitate drape. That way I can make pictures of my designs that don't look as if a 3 year old was playing with her mother's crayons.

I knit, I crochet, I design, I have trouble counting sometimes and a screwy memory but am reasonably intelligent overall--how come I can't draw worth spit?

mumble, mumble
Llinn
Go to Top of Page

becka always
Permanent Resident

USA
1959 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  3:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit becka always's Homepage Send becka always a Private Message
LOL, my collection of patterns doesn't even compare to Llinn's! I did sit down and put them all in page protectors and 3 ring binders and, I must admit, it is nice to be able to put your hands on a pattern when looking for one!

Addicted to the Knit
Becka
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/avatarslinkyfeet.jpg[/IMG]
Whimsical Knitting
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  5:06:48 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
Becka...what a cute website you have....I usually don't check them out, but I loved the name of yours!

Shirley Ryan, living in Dana Point, CA

...and dance like no one is watching!
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  07:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I have mine in the page protectors but I need to add them to excel so I can find them.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

becka always
Permanent Resident

USA
1959 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  08:20:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit becka always's Homepage Send becka always a Private Message
Thanks so much, Shirley! I noticed that you have the same motto as my dancing daughter! Very cool!

Addicted to the Knit
Becka
Whimsical Knitting
Go to Top of Page

angie-knits
Chatty Knitter

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  07:09:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit angie-knits's Homepage Send angie-knits a Private Message
I do what backa does....I put the patterns in page protectors and have one 3-ring binder for my crochet patterns, and one 3-ring binder for my knitting patterns. Which, actually is pretty full and I should buy another one soon.

My blog: http://angie-knits.blogspot.com/

My gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/angie_knits/sets/72157594262070327/
Go to Top of Page

becka always
Permanent Resident

USA
1959 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  07:38:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit becka always's Homepage Send becka always a Private Message
LOL, I started with one 3 ring binder and that one quickly filled ... now I believe I have 5 or 6 and oodles of patterns saved on computer but they must be printed because they are taking up gads of space! So, I'm about to be at it again!

Addicted to the Knit
Becka
Whimsical Knitting
Go to Top of Page

MissKnitty
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  4:49:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit MissKnitty's Homepage Send MissKnitty a Private Message
O.K. So Mom was right that I should be organized. I'm just a procrastinator with bad habits. My patterns are crumpled up in corners, swatted by the cat, and stuffed in many places that I won't remember.

I get so frustrated when I'm trying to find that one pattern I designed and find nothing!

So, from this day forth I will be organized and never lose another pattern. . .
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  5:27:34 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

I have a file which has its own plastic sleeves and I use it to file my patterns. I use one sleeve for cardigans,another for jumpers and so on.My file is very thick,so I think I should start another one soon.

Leslie

My Pics
http://photos.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  6:42:58 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I've started organising my patterns and magazines because we'll be moving and I don't want to spend my life moving unsorted junk from place to place.

I use plastic page protectors, divider tabs, and binders for patterns. I have no problem ripping out only the patterns I want from magazines which saves lots of space. Unlike some I have no problem selling, recycling, giving away or burning patterns I have no use for.

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  7:03:34 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message
Hi everyone- I keep mine in sheet-protectors in ringbinders.However they are not REALLY organised within - I have resolved today to buy a couple more binders and write the contents on the spine-label!ALL I have to do [:00]is reorganise everything, and then hope I stick to placing future additions in the relevant binder!I also have pages and pages of notes, a few designs of my own, things that need another look etc.etc.....well all I really need is TIME[crazy]- Happy Knitting -Lucylocket
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  3:42:47 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message
I do the plastic sleeve thing, too, but periodically look through them and say, "I'll NEVER make THAT!" and toss the pattern. Or I make it once, say "never again!" and toss the pattern. What most of us need more than anything is TIME to organize all this. For the last three years I've taken a week off work in January or February as my 'mental health week'. The kids are in school, hubby is at work, and I'm at home catching up on UFO's. One year, I finished five quilts that had been in various stages of completion. This year, I cleaned the spare room (that's something new to me since the kids started leaving home...a room that's not in use!) and stashed yarn in new places. My current resolution is to knit up anything I have in large quantities while it's still in vogue....so I can buy NEW stuff![:00][:00]
Go to Top of Page

bcartercps
Warming Up

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  11:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit bcartercps's Homepage Send bcartercps a Private Message
In addition to my patterns being sorted by type (socks, hat, etc) I also have a binder of the patterns I've already made, with dividers for each type. This way if I want to make that cute hat I already did for Betty Sue, I can go straight to the "already made" book (which is quite a bit thinner than the other books) and find it there.

~Beth
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  2:05:41 PM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
My patterns are one of the few organized things in my house. I have them in hanging file folders in a file drawer. (With labels as to type of project, even) Every so often I make myself go through them and pitch the ones I KNOW I won't ever make. Now if only I could get my stash organized...

~Rebecca

"Nothing, why?"
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  2:51:11 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

I am also in the habit of going through my patterns every so often,and throwing out those I know I'll never use;I'm sure that if I didn't do this,I'd have more patterns than I could ever hope to use in a lifetime!

Leslie

My Pics
http://photos.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  3:09:33 PM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message
I have a FO binder also, like Beth. I include in a page protector a copy of the pattern with my markup/notes (size needle, for ex., and all the list of rows as I knit the item), a snip of the yarn (sometimes where I got it), who received the item and when (or who WILL receive it, eventually), and, if I really get it together, an inkjet printer printout of the photo as well. Since I've sometimes re-typed the pattern so I can follow it more easily (adding row numbers, enlarging the print, etc.), it's easier to keep that version of the pattern there also, in case I want to pull it out again, as I often have done this past year or so. Because I give the recipient of the FO a photocopy of the yarn band, with a snip of the yarn, what the item is, and care instructions highlighted, I include that in the page protector also.

Discarding patterns isn't something I seem able to do. I guess I don't believe in "never" -- as in, well, someday I really really might make that.... Other than the FO binder, books and magazines, including my vintage patterns, are currently in a box, which is not where I want them, so this will change, someday. More recent printouts from the Internet are mostly in binders by section -- baby hats, baby blankets, toys, etc. In fact, I seem to have a whole binder just of toys and they're subcategorized by type of creature.
[whatever]

sja
Go to Top of Page

stherio
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  04:10:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit stherio's Homepage Send stherio a Private Message
I went to Staples and bought some of those cardboard boxes that hold magazines - they are about 6 inches wide and taper up so you can see the whole spine of the magazine. I organized all my magazines by title and year, and then I organized all my pattern books by category, ie, baby, sweaters, socks, etc. Anything that was loose I put into plastic protectors and put in a 3-ring with separator by category. I then got a cheap (but nice) shelving unit from Target and put all the cardboard magazine holders and my pattern books on it. It's very comforting to look at!!! he-he My daughter-in-law says it's like a knitting library! But it works really well for me.....
PS I hate to cut up the magazines. It's amazing how something that didn't catch your eye 10 years ago is now EXACTLY what you are looking for.

Suzy
Go to Top of Page

andugger2003@yahoo.com
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  05:03:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit andugger2003@yahoo.com's Homepage  Send andugger2003@yahoo.com a Yahoo! Message Send andugger2003@yahoo.com a Private Message
I also use a binder with the plastic sleeve protector. I never use the original pattern when working on the project though. I always made a color copy of the pattern and make all of my mark-ups on that so if I want to make it again, I can have a clean copy to work from. For all of my IK mags, I use a couple of those cardboard magazine holders from IKEA (pretty blue floral print) and that way I don't feel guilty keeping all of my magazines! :)

www.knitfriendly.blogspot.com - Come visit me! :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?