Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 The Curse of the Love Sweater?
 The Curse of the Love Sweater
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Smartcookie
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  6:00:42 PM  Show Profile Send Smartcookie a Private Message
The first sweater I knit was a beautiful (and expensive) wool ragland sleeve V-neck men's pullover for my husband. Thirteen years later my marriage ended. When my daughter was 15 she was going through her dad's closet and fell in love with the sweater. He gave it to her. She wore it all through college and then was going to give it away and I asked for it back. I then presented the sweater to my new husband and he loves it. He doesn't care that I knitted it for my first husband because all he can see is that it is beautifully made and the I knitted it with love and my love in now for him.

Jeanne Hurlbut

RandiesDandies
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  8:08:07 PM  Show Profile Send RandiesDandies a Private Message
Sometimes knitting a sweater can serve as a catalyst for a new love relationship! I met my future husband during a mid-summer Manhattan heat streak. I was able to hide my knitting habit then. Come fall, my hands began to itch for the needle, like a junkie looking for her fix. Previous boyfriends hated my addiction, even when the article under construction was for them!

The first fall frost took me by surprise, and my intended lent me one of his sweaters. I looked at it and asked "Who made you this sweater?" I was jealous. Here I'd been hiding my hobby, and someone else had beaten me to the stitch! He appeared perplexed so I repeated the question.

He answered, matter-of-factly, "my mom." Relieved, I asked, "does your mother knit alot?"

In reply he raised his arms, crooked parallel to the floor, in knitter's ball-winding stance. We've been intertwined since 1981.
Go to Top of Page

RandiesDandies
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  8:08:07 PM  Show Profile Send RandiesDandies a Private Message
Sometimes knitting a sweater can serve as a catalyst for a new love relationship! I met my future husband during a mid-summer Manhattan heat streak. I was able to hide my knitting habit then. Come fall, my hands began to itch for the needle, like a junkie looking for her fix. Previous boyfriends hated my addiction, even when the article under construction was for them!

The first fall frost took me by surprise, and my intended lent me one of his sweaters. I looked at it and asked "Who made you this sweater?" I was jealous. Here I'd been hiding my hobby, and someone else had beaten me to the stitch! He appeared perplexed so I repeated the question.

He answered, matter-of-factly, "my mom." Relieved, I asked, "does your mother knit alot?"

In reply he raised his arms, crooked parallel to the floor, in knitter's ball-winding stance. We've been intertwined since 1981.
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  8:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
My husband has always appreciated my knitting but claimed at first to not be a sweater wearer. He told me he loved what I did, he just didn't wear sweaters and didn't want me to waste my time. Uh huh... I was taking him home to Maine for a family reunion over Labor Day weeked the second year we were married. I decided that he really might need something warm. His father was military and he spent most of his childhood in warm climes and they retired in Texas. He has no idea what cold really is! Well, he took it with us. Was he ever glad!!! There was no swimming in the lake at reunion that year, I don't think it got out of the 50's. Not too cold for us from the Great White North, to him that is a mild winter day. Unfortunately, he thinks that if he goes to Maine he needs a new sweater every time! lol We can't attend reunions for now, Texas schools start in August and they won't let you take the kids out for that long but once or twice a year he drags one out and wears it. Not bad for a guy who doesn't wear sweaters.

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  8:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
My husband has always appreciated my knitting but claimed at first to not be a sweater wearer. He told me he loved what I did, he just didn't wear sweaters and didn't want me to waste my time. Uh huh... I was taking him home to Maine for a family reunion over Labor Day weeked the second year we were married. I decided that he really might need something warm. His father was military and he spent most of his childhood in warm climes and they retired in Texas. He has no idea what cold really is! Well, he took it with us. Was he ever glad!!! There was no swimming in the lake at reunion that year, I don't think it got out of the 50's. Not too cold for us from the Great White North, to him that is a mild winter day. Unfortunately, he thinks that if he goes to Maine he needs a new sweater every time! lol We can't attend reunions for now, Texas schools start in August and they won't let you take the kids out for that long but once or twice a year he drags one out and wears it. Not bad for a guy who doesn't wear sweaters.

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

pegasus1074
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  9:37:20 PM  Show Profile Send pegasus1074 a Private Message

I have a very funny feeling about knitting "love sweaters". During my first marriage the majority of my knitting projects were for myself and later, my children..mostly hats and mittens, although I did do a sweater on occasion. During all this time my hubby would always nag me for a sweater. I had made him several hats, scarves, socks and even a pair of gloves. Eventually, I did get around to making him a very nice sweater vest... he passed away six months later and only wore the vest once. (My daughter has it now.)
My new husband isn't a sweater person (I have offered) but does enjoy the scarves and afghans I make and also the things I make for myself.
Go to Top of Page

pegasus1074
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  9:37:20 PM  Show Profile Send pegasus1074 a Private Message

I have a very funny feeling about knitting "love sweaters". During my first marriage the majority of my knitting projects were for myself and later, my children..mostly hats and mittens, although I did do a sweater on occasion. During all this time my hubby would always nag me for a sweater. I had made him several hats, scarves, socks and even a pair of gloves. Eventually, I did get around to making him a very nice sweater vest... he passed away six months later and only wore the vest once. (My daughter has it now.)
My new husband isn't a sweater person (I have offered) but does enjoy the scarves and afghans I make and also the things I make for myself.
Go to Top of Page

tdono2
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  11:51:00 PM  Show Profile Send tdono2 a Private Message
My second knitting project was a sweater for a guy that I hoped would be "THE ONE" (the first project being an afghan for a friend's baby). I never finished that sweater and the relationship ended before I had the ribbing for the bottom back done. My husband of almost 3 years has seen the pattern and LOVES it even though he doesn't get to wear sweaters often as it's too warm in Oregon most of the time. It's a beautiful Irish Knit with 3 different patterns repeated across the front. The poor sweater was 2/3 complete when our then puppy got hold of it and chewed it up pretty badly. I salvaged the yarn and decided to change from knitting back then front to knitting in the round as I've since gotten over my fear of circular needles! The sweater is currently at about 1 inch into the bottom ribbing as it's my stand-by project and the most difficult I've attempted yet. Even though it was started for someone else, the color matches my husbands eyes closer than I would have thought possible and will look GORGEOUS on him once it's finished. We now have 18 month-old twin girls that I have knit sweaters for and his still sits on the back burner waiting, but he knows that it's not out of lack of love for him, but lack of time for our two little ones who are becoming even more not so little every day.

Go to Top of Page

tdono2
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  11:51:00 PM  Show Profile Send tdono2 a Private Message
My second knitting project was a sweater for a guy that I hoped would be "THE ONE" (the first project being an afghan for a friend's baby). I never finished that sweater and the relationship ended before I had the ribbing for the bottom back done. My husband of almost 3 years has seen the pattern and LOVES it even though he doesn't get to wear sweaters often as it's too warm in Oregon most of the time. It's a beautiful Irish Knit with 3 different patterns repeated across the front. The poor sweater was 2/3 complete when our then puppy got hold of it and chewed it up pretty badly. I salvaged the yarn and decided to change from knitting back then front to knitting in the round as I've since gotten over my fear of circular needles! The sweater is currently at about 1 inch into the bottom ribbing as it's my stand-by project and the most difficult I've attempted yet. Even though it was started for someone else, the color matches my husbands eyes closer than I would have thought possible and will look GORGEOUS on him once it's finished. We now have 18 month-old twin girls that I have knit sweaters for and his still sits on the back burner waiting, but he knows that it's not out of lack of love for him, but lack of time for our two little ones who are becoming even more not so little every day.

Go to Top of Page

freyalyn
New Pal

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  01:48:57 AM  Show Profile Send freyalyn a Private Message
When I was at university (about 15 years ago now) I knitted a beautiful, striped, moss-stitch V-neck for a boyfriend that I thought was The One. The relationship lasted about a week after we came back after the summer vacation. I should have realised the writing was on the wall when he didn't come to my 21st birthday party. To add insult to injury, firstly he offered the sweater back (which I foolishly refused) then he let his next girlfriend wear it - she was my best friend. I didn't knit for another boyfriend till I married one - I thought he can't get away so easily. Husband has now got about 5 handknit sweaters, innumerable socks, and several hats. He won't wear mittens/gloves. So yes, I believe in the curse.....

Freyalyn Close-Hainsworth
Yorkshire, England
Go to Top of Page

freyalyn
New Pal

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  01:48:57 AM  Show Profile Send freyalyn a Private Message
When I was at university (about 15 years ago now) I knitted a beautiful, striped, moss-stitch V-neck for a boyfriend that I thought was The One. The relationship lasted about a week after we came back after the summer vacation. I should have realised the writing was on the wall when he didn't come to my 21st birthday party. To add insult to injury, firstly he offered the sweater back (which I foolishly refused) then he let his next girlfriend wear it - she was my best friend. I didn't knit for another boyfriend till I married one - I thought he can't get away so easily. Husband has now got about 5 handknit sweaters, innumerable socks, and several hats. He won't wear mittens/gloves. So yes, I believe in the curse.....

Freyalyn Close-Hainsworth
Yorkshire, England
Go to Top of Page

run10k
New Pal

19 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  07:19:10 AM  Show Profile Send run10k a Private Message
Heck yes, I believe in the curse of the "love sweater." I have knitted for my husband's niece and nephew, only to have their mother never acknowledge the gift and tell me she'd rather have them wear "stuff from The Gap." Anyway, I have knitted scarves for family members who do appreciate those, but let's face it, they're not much of a challenge. I love to knit sweaters and I'm selfish enough to say that I am my favorite recipient.

My husband gave me a gift certificate ($75) this Christmas to the lys. He has VERY STRONGLY hinted that he wants me to "knit him something." I am waiting for one skien of yarn to begin a vest for him. I don't even buy clothes for him--I love color and he looks great in (uninspiring) earth tones--but since I've been knitting for 8 years (learned during the Tanya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan debacle) and married for nearly 15, I think I'll give it a try.
Go to Top of Page

run10k
New Pal

19 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  07:19:10 AM  Show Profile Send run10k a Private Message
Heck yes, I believe in the curse of the "love sweater." I have knitted for my husband's niece and nephew, only to have their mother never acknowledge the gift and tell me she'd rather have them wear "stuff from The Gap." Anyway, I have knitted scarves for family members who do appreciate those, but let's face it, they're not much of a challenge. I love to knit sweaters and I'm selfish enough to say that I am my favorite recipient.

My husband gave me a gift certificate ($75) this Christmas to the lys. He has VERY STRONGLY hinted that he wants me to "knit him something." I am waiting for one skien of yarn to begin a vest for him. I don't even buy clothes for him--I love color and he looks great in (uninspiring) earth tones--but since I've been knitting for 8 years (learned during the Tanya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan debacle) and married for nearly 15, I think I'll give it a try.
Go to Top of Page

ladyknight90
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  07:19:11 AM  Show Profile Send ladyknight90 a Private Message
I believe in the curse, and it doesn't even have to be a sweater. A little over a year ago, I knit a scarf for my boyfriend at the time. It took a month of sneaking around, knitting a few rows here and there when he wasn't around. And I was so proud of myself for finishing it in time for his birthday. When he opened the gift, he handed it back to me, and said that he would never wear it. We broke up about a month later. During the obligatory post-relationship-ex-bashing session with a friend, she couldn't believe that he had rejected my hand-knit gift, and later told me that her boyfriend had said the same. I gave the scarf to my friend's boyfriend, and knitted her one identical to it. Now the scarf has a happy home, and is part of a matched set. And I hope my ex-boyfriend's neck freezes one of these winters.

Go to Top of Page

ladyknight90
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  07:19:11 AM  Show Profile Send ladyknight90 a Private Message
I believe in the curse, and it doesn't even have to be a sweater. A little over a year ago, I knit a scarf for my boyfriend at the time. It took a month of sneaking around, knitting a few rows here and there when he wasn't around. And I was so proud of myself for finishing it in time for his birthday. When he opened the gift, he handed it back to me, and said that he would never wear it. We broke up about a month later. During the obligatory post-relationship-ex-bashing session with a friend, she couldn't believe that he had rejected my hand-knit gift, and later told me that her boyfriend had said the same. I gave the scarf to my friend's boyfriend, and knitted her one identical to it. Now the scarf has a happy home, and is part of a matched set. And I hope my ex-boyfriend's neck freezes one of these winters.

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  08:20:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I've knitted my share of rejected gifts but my husband dotes on everything I make him - and wears them when they should be tossed - especially those wretched reject socks. I've become so embarassed by those dreadful mismatched brown ones that are too short and creep down his ankles, showing that only one sock has a yellow stripe around it that I have broken my vow to wait til hot weather to knit socks and am making him a pair of regia and a pair from interlacement's toasty toes. then those brown felted clods are going in the trash!

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  08:20:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I've knitted my share of rejected gifts but my husband dotes on everything I make him - and wears them when they should be tossed - especially those wretched reject socks. I've become so embarassed by those dreadful mismatched brown ones that are too short and creep down his ankles, showing that only one sock has a yellow stripe around it that I have broken my vow to wait til hot weather to knit socks and am making him a pair of regia and a pair from interlacement's toasty toes. then those brown felted clods are going in the trash!

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  10:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I've heard you can knit for a spouse, but not for "just" a significant other, or when the last stitch is finished, so will the relationship be!

I'm just getting my fiance trained the way I like him - no way I'm jinxing this!

But I have a question - almost everyone who's posted seems to believe in the superstition - so why are we in such the minority on the poll???

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  10:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I've heard you can knit for a spouse, but not for "just" a significant other, or when the last stitch is finished, so will the relationship be!

I'm just getting my fiance trained the way I like him - no way I'm jinxing this!

But I have a question - almost everyone who's posted seems to believe in the superstition - so why are we in such the minority on the poll???

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

cyberknitter
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  11:03:36 AM  Show Profile Send cyberknitter a Private Message
You bet I believe in the curse...but this is one of the few lessons I learned the "easy" way! I watched my college freshman roommate knit an absolutely gorgeous Aran (with Irish yarn even) for her boyfriend. I was fascinated with the yarn and the patterns as I watched her make intricate cables and bobbles. I had learned to knit at my mother's knee when about 7 or 8 but had never done any knitting since then. I watched as this gorgeous sweater developed and decided that I was going to try knitting again, so I marched off to the local dept. store and bought some "lovely" avocado green acrylic and a pattern with a simple twist stitch up the front that was repeated on the cowl collar (still one of my favorite collar styles). As I went to work on my sweater I was glad for the help in deciphering knitting instructions and sailed along with my own knitting. When we returned from the Christmas break my roomie had given the sweater to her boyfriend as his Christmas gift AND they broke up shortly after that.
I almost cried thinking of all the work she'd put into that sweater, but she didn't seem to be all that bothered. Nonetheless, I swore to myself that I would NEVER knit a sweater for a mere boyfriend given her experience and I never did. But beside that lasting lesson, I also began knitting again, never to quit for very long. I've long since lost track of my roomie, Bunny, but often think of the gift she left me while she was knitting the cursed "love sweater"! And my first sweater that was inspired by her knitting? Well, I finished the knitting and assembled the body, but I could never get that darn collar sewn onto to body. I consulted every knitter I knew including my mother and my aunt and they couldn't figure it out either. About 10 years later I finally threw it out in disgust having learned that there are often mistakes in pattern instructions. I think that love sweater was doubly cursed!!

Go to Top of Page

cyberknitter
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  11:03:36 AM  Show Profile Send cyberknitter a Private Message
You bet I believe in the curse...but this is one of the few lessons I learned the "easy" way! I watched my college freshman roommate knit an absolutely gorgeous Aran (with Irish yarn even) for her boyfriend. I was fascinated with the yarn and the patterns as I watched her make intricate cables and bobbles. I had learned to knit at my mother's knee when about 7 or 8 but had never done any knitting since then. I watched as this gorgeous sweater developed and decided that I was going to try knitting again, so I marched off to the local dept. store and bought some "lovely" avocado green acrylic and a pattern with a simple twist stitch up the front that was repeated on the cowl collar (still one of my favorite collar styles). As I went to work on my sweater I was glad for the help in deciphering knitting instructions and sailed along with my own knitting. When we returned from the Christmas break my roomie had given the sweater to her boyfriend as his Christmas gift AND they broke up shortly after that.
I almost cried thinking of all the work she'd put into that sweater, but she didn't seem to be all that bothered. Nonetheless, I swore to myself that I would NEVER knit a sweater for a mere boyfriend given her experience and I never did. But beside that lasting lesson, I also began knitting again, never to quit for very long. I've long since lost track of my roomie, Bunny, but often think of the gift she left me while she was knitting the cursed "love sweater"! And my first sweater that was inspired by her knitting? Well, I finished the knitting and assembled the body, but I could never get that darn collar sewn onto to body. I consulted every knitter I knew including my mother and my aunt and they couldn't figure it out either. About 10 years later I finally threw it out in disgust having learned that there are often mistakes in pattern instructions. I think that love sweater was doubly cursed!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?