Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 reading patterns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kclark3019
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  11:27:19 AM  Show Profile Send kclark3019 a Private Message
what does "cont in patt as set" mean?

kclark3019

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  12:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
At first guess, not having seen it in context, I would say it means "continue in the pattern you have already started".

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

Beckyh
Gabber Extraordinaire

471 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  03:28:28 AM  Show Profile Send Beckyh a Private Message
You have to look at your project and recognize what happened in the row below to create that stitch, i.e. knit, purl, yo, etc. Find that instruction in your pattern and do the next row to correspond to the previous stitch.

A simple example would be ribbing, where you knit the knits and purl the purls. A different example would be where you knit the yarnover, purl the purls, and cable the next four knits.

Look for the vertical pattern in your project.

Hope this helps,

Becky
Go to Top of Page

sarah@k_rev
Warming Up

67 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  04:26:45 AM  Show Profile Send sarah@k_rev a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Beckyh

You have to look at your project and recognize what happened in the row below to create that stitch, i.e. knit, purl, yo, etc. Find that instruction in your pattern and do the next row to correspond to the previous stitch.

Not necessarily just the row below, but over an entire pattern repeat. Most instructions will make it clear over how many sts and rows 1 complete pattern element is made (and then that is often repeated throughout the garment, unless it's a band or motif) - so you'll need to recognise the row sequence as well as the st sequence.

It's also possible that the placement of the pattern on different pieces of a garment may vary, to ensure that the pattern starts and finishes at appropriate points wrt seams etc, so you may have edge sts, or the pattern being 'set' at different start points for sleeves etc, in order for it to stack up correctly. Some people find it easier to see this relationship when working from charts or graphs, rather than written directions - and you could always write it up in a way that might suit you better.

I've probably made it sound more complicated than it really is ! Just check what your pattern repeat is, and you'll be fine :-)

Sarah
--
http://www.sarahdurrant.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by