Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Knitted "Crazy Quilt" - in mosaic!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  4:17:31 PM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message
For years, I've been saving up bits of silk so that someday I can make myself a real crazy quilt. But last night, while contemplating what I could do with all the incredible mosaic knitting patterns in the Barbara Walker Mosaic Knitting book, I suddenly thought of making a "crazy" quilt (or perhaps I should call it a "Crazy Afghan").

The idea is going to be to not make any of the squares/rectangles the same size, and to off-kilter them. Since I HATE sewing things together, and hate crochet even more, I think I'm going to work out from the center, and work by picking up stitches, casting on more, etc. I think it will be a great stash buster, too. Like a "real" crazy quilt, I think I'll use black as a dominant color --- probably not all the time, though, just to keep it lively.

Has anyone done anything like this? I was inspired by the mosaic "sampler pillow" in Barbara Walker's 3rd (or is it 4th?) Treasury, though that is symmetrical....

What's a leper bandage? http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bandages.html
http://www.ghm.org/resources/hands-on/knittedbandage.html

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  5:36:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
I think there's a name for this kind of knitting. Freeform?
Go to Top of Page

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  5:36:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
I think there's a name for this kind of knitting. Freeform?
Go to Top of Page

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  6:13:17 PM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message
I think you're probably right... But doesn't a lot of freeform knitting involve crochet (which scares me witless)?

We'll see how it works. It's going to be fun, anyway!

Go to Top of Page

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  6:13:17 PM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message
I think you're probably right... But doesn't a lot of freeform knitting involve crochet (which scares me witless)?

We'll see how it works. It's going to be fun, anyway!

Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  6:49:51 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
This is the theory behind the Moderne Log Cabin Blanket in Mason Dixon Knitting. You might want to take a look at the 2 blankets in the book. Or check out the KAL. I'm currently working on one. The first square will not be in the centre (but towards the lower right). For subsequent squares, stitches are picked up along the edge of previous squares. Like you, I'm using narrower panels of black between other squares -- as a design element and as a way to unify 3 other colors. I really like your idea to use an assortment of mosaic knitting patterns! Mine (like the ones in the book) is all garter stitch -- which can get a bit tedious after the first few squares. But the garter ridges do make it easy to pick up stitches for subsequent squares. I'll look forward to hearing about (and seeing!) your progress.
Happy knitting -- claire
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  6:49:51 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
This is the theory behind the Moderne Log Cabin Blanket in Mason Dixon Knitting. You might want to take a look at the 2 blankets in the book. Or check out the KAL. I'm currently working on one. The first square will not be in the centre (but towards the lower right). For subsequent squares, stitches are picked up along the edge of previous squares. Like you, I'm using narrower panels of black between other squares -- as a design element and as a way to unify 3 other colors. I really like your idea to use an assortment of mosaic knitting patterns! Mine (like the ones in the book) is all garter stitch -- which can get a bit tedious after the first few squares. But the garter ridges do make it easy to pick up stitches for subsequent squares. I'll look forward to hearing about (and seeing!) your progress.
Happy knitting -- claire
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  07:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
The log cabin involves making longer and longer strips as you pick up from earlier ones. Crazy quilt isn't in strips -- it is patches of different sizes. I have fantasized about this too and found a couple of patterns for crazy-quilt style sweaters. There is a well-known Vogue one, published separately as P708 - Crazy Quilt Jacket and that was republished in the Vogue Knitting American Collection book, and a Rowan one as well. Those of course give you an intarsia chart. You can do your own, of course, without a chart, which is kinda the point of crazy quilting, using intarsia methods and just changing yarns when you feel like it. You can then embellish it, like on crazy quilts, with other yarns -- a great way to use up scraps. I have been fantasizing for quite some time about doing a jacket. Using black as a base color sounds like a great idea. And you would want to get the same gauge on each patch, so if the yarns are not all the same weight you may want to combine different yarns, double the thinner ones, etc. Very cool idea!

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  07:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
The log cabin involves making longer and longer strips as you pick up from earlier ones. Crazy quilt isn't in strips -- it is patches of different sizes. I have fantasized about this too and found a couple of patterns for crazy-quilt style sweaters. There is a well-known Vogue one, published separately as P708 - Crazy Quilt Jacket and that was republished in the Vogue Knitting American Collection book, and a Rowan one as well. Those of course give you an intarsia chart. You can do your own, of course, without a chart, which is kinda the point of crazy quilting, using intarsia methods and just changing yarns when you feel like it. You can then embellish it, like on crazy quilts, with other yarns -- a great way to use up scraps. I have been fantasizing for quite some time about doing a jacket. Using black as a base color sounds like a great idea. And you would want to get the same gauge on each patch, so if the yarns are not all the same weight you may want to combine different yarns, double the thinner ones, etc. Very cool idea!

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

JGOLOSO
Gabber Extraordinaire

491 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  08:59:09 AM  Show Profile Send JGOLOSO a Private Message
I would love to find some info on this, too. I have a crazy quilt that my grandmother made and it is my favorite. I have always wanted to make one, but have never gotten around to it. A knitted version would be really cool. I still think that to get it to really look like a crazy quilt, it might involve piecing or sewing blocks of knitted squares together. Maybe not. Interesting.

J.
Go to Top of Page

JGOLOSO
Gabber Extraordinaire

491 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  08:59:09 AM  Show Profile Send JGOLOSO a Private Message
I would love to find some info on this, too. I have a crazy quilt that my grandmother made and it is my favorite. I have always wanted to make one, but have never gotten around to it. A knitted version would be really cool. I still think that to get it to really look like a crazy quilt, it might involve piecing or sewing blocks of knitted squares together. Maybe not. Interesting.

J.
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  10:01:47 AM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
The regular log cabin (in MDK) is as RobA described. But the Moderne version is just rectangular blocks of color in assorted sizes. The crazy quilts my grandmother made used odd shapes of fabric -- they evenually formed rectangles that were then pieced together. It sounds like there are a lot of possible variables -- all the more fun!
Happy knitting -- claire
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  10:01:47 AM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
The regular log cabin (in MDK) is as RobA described. But the Moderne version is just rectangular blocks of color in assorted sizes. The crazy quilts my grandmother made used odd shapes of fabric -- they evenually formed rectangles that were then pieced together. It sounds like there are a lot of possible variables -- all the more fun!
Happy knitting -- claire
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?