Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 General News and Announcements
 Start Your Own Knit Group
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

weB2cats
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  11:00:23 AM  Show Profile  Send weB2cats a Yahoo! Message Send weB2cats a Private Message
There's a great website at
www.meetup.com
that allows you to not only check out all groups available in your area to join but enables you to be the head admin of your own group. You can begin a knitting group in your area and for a small fee, perhaps, host the meetings in your home. Serve tea or have everyone bring something in to share with the group. You can have once-a-month or weekly meetings based on your preferences. And you can also appoint a co-host to man the group when you're not able. Aside from being a great opportunity to share up-to-date ideas and patterns, you can swap yarns and share a host of other fun things such as charity events and contests.

Good luck and happy knitting!

Eileen

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  4:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
was with meetup before they started charging and wasn't especially impressed.

Keep knitting, this too shall pass.
Go to Top of Page

KnitSSK
Seriously Hooked

USA
656 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  4:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnitSSK's Homepage Send KnitSSK a Private Message
I began a very successful group in the DC area a couple years ago by word of mouth and a yahoo group in the area, which is free...many are completely turned off by the idea of charging, like meetup does...I suggest you decide where to meet and when, invite a couple of knitting friends, develop a name for the group and distribute information at LYS's, coffee shops and other community bulletin boards. The result of my group is now several women (and men) who have become close friends and we now do road trips and attend other knitting and not-kintting events together. Good luck!

Martha

Wanting to be knitting, not working...
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  9:14:30 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Martha,

I like your idea a lot more, being mates and doing road trips, it sounds great and you don't charge anything.

Wish I could find something like that here.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  9:14:30 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Martha,

I like your idea a lot more, being mates and doing road trips, it sounds great and you don't charge anything.

Wish I could find something like that here.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  05:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
My old group in Stockton/Lodi, CA, I found on meetup before they charged. They switched the group to yahoo.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  05:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
My old group in Stockton/Lodi, CA, I found on meetup before they charged. They switched the group to yahoo.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  12:42:51 PM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message
Eileen web2cats posted her start a knitting group with meetup post in another topic also.

-- Jeri
http://soapquiltknit.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.