Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 Spinning Lessons and a wheel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  6:44:02 PM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message
I would just love to take a few spinning lessons and then buy a wheel. It is the one craft that I don't think I could teach my self. It looks complicated and like you would greatly benefit from lessons and tips while learning.

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  7:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
IME? You can absolutely teach yourself. I ordered a wheel and started spinning based on nothing but a few articles and videos online, and had NO trouble producing even yarn. I certainly credit the wheel (a Lendrum) but let's face it - spinning isn't rocket science.

I would say it's both easier and harder to learn on your own compared to knitting. Knitting, while it can be boiled down to just that one stitch (and its reverse) is really a collection of skills. Spinning - the actual "twisting roving to make yarn" part - is, essentially, one skill, performed with very slight differences in fiber type and amount and width and hand placement. But on the other hand it's not as definable as knitting. You can do the same cable cross every time in exactly the same way and get the same results, every time. With spinning, you could say you have more personal control.

Actually, the comparison that jumps to mind for me is whistling. Pretend everyone can whistle (because pretty much everyone can spin). No one can really teach you where to put your tongue to hit the right notes; you just listen, and learn, and sooner or later you can whistle a tune without thinking about it. You're essentially playing a slide recorder with your tongue and your palate, completely untrained, but it's easy, right? You just do it. Well, spinning, IME, is the same, at least the basics. You just feed the right density of fiber in to get the thickness of yarn (well, singles) you want, and there you go. It's slightly more complicated than that - but only very slightly.

Like I said, not rocket science. Try it, you'll love it. But don't skimp on the wheel!

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos, WIPs and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  9:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I taught myself to spin, using books and videos online, if that's any encouragement to you.

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  05:03:25 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message
I'd love to learn to spin, too, but I want to win the lottery first so I can retire and have the time and the money to devote to the things I like to do![:00]
Go to Top of Page

Spindleknits
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  12:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Spindleknits's Homepage Send Spindleknits a Private Message
I also taught myself to spin from a few books and videos online and haven't looked back since. I also taught myself how to knit, and as far as comparing the two, spinning was much easier (and faster) to learn. I bought a learn to spin kit with a spindle first to see if I would really like it and within the first hour of spinning on that I knew I absolutely had to have a wheel. What I really like about spinning is that unlike my turtle-slow knitting, I can spin for 5 minutes and see a lot of progress.

SpindleKnits
Go to Top of Page

witchieg
New Pal

Australia
23 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  8:49:40 PM  Show Profile Send witchieg a Private Message
i breed my own sheep,so iam saving up madly to buy my own spinning wheel,we got onto a second hand one,and the seller will give me lessons,can't wait.

Between tomorrow's dream and yesterday's regret is today's opportunity.
Go to Top of Page

Just 1 More Row
Chatty Knitter

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  9:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Just 1 More Row's Homepage Send Just 1 More Row a Private Message
Spinning is one of those skills that is pretty easy to learn. When I first started, I would take my wheel to guild meetings, but leave it in the car! I would then go in and WATCH. Then after the meeting I would go home and practice what I learned. In no time at all, I was willing to spin in public!

Laura in Idaho
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  09:02:46 AM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
Is it easier to learn to spin with a wheel than a spindle? I bought a spindle a couple of months ago but I just don't feel like it is clicking with me. I have a couple of books and have watched the videos that are available on the web and I have made some improvement but I just don't feel like I have the hang of drafting right.
Go to Top of Page

Just 1 More Row
Chatty Knitter

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  3:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Just 1 More Row's Homepage Send Just 1 More Row a Private Message
I would tell the kids, spin the spindle till you feel the twist. Hold the spindle under your arm or between your legs. Then do the drafting.

If you don't have to worry about it all at once, it's much easier to learn to spindle. I actually learned on my wheel first! It took me about 3 years later to attempt and conquer the spindle!

Laura in Idaho
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  09:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Calamintha

Is it easier to learn to spin with a wheel than a spindle? I bought a spindle a couple of months ago but I just don't feel like it is clicking with me. I have a couple of books and have watched the videos that are available on the web and I have made some improvement but I just don't feel like I have the hang of drafting right.

Yes, for some people, it's easier to learn with a wheel. For most, it's easier with a spindle, but there are some who just can't get it with the spindle, but who click with a wheel.

I couldn't spin on a wheel until I became pretty proficient with the spindle, but I have a friend who struggled with the spindle, bought a wheel, and immediately clicked. She still doesn't spindle, but I do both interchangeably - spindle when I want small and portable, or want more control, and wheel when I want speed.

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe