Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Circular Knitting Needles To Knit Socks.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
909 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  2:31:02 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message
Hi, knitters! Gotta a few questions for ya.
Has anybody had any experiance with these books about knitting socks on circular needles? Has anybody tried this yet? I'm considering
buying a couple of the books for this technique & need some informa-
tion. Thanks!

craftymjw

Keep on knittin'!
The more, the merrier!

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  3:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I'm just learning to do socks on one long circular needle -- the Magic Loop method (there's a book from Fiber Trends using Sarah Hauschka's method). I absolutely love knitting socks this way! Fran uses the same technique, I think. I never thought I'd give up using my little Brittany birch needles, which I love, but this technique is so easy and portable and versatile (you can make anything, like sweater sleeves and cuffs). I say give it a try!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  3:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I'm just learning to do socks on one long circular needle -- the Magic Loop method (there's a book from Fiber Trends using Sarah Hauschka's method). I absolutely love knitting socks this way! Fran uses the same technique, I think. I never thought I'd give up using my little Brittany birch needles, which I love, but this technique is so easy and portable and versatile (you can make anything, like sweater sleeves and cuffs). I say give it a try!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Knittin Nurse
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  7:22:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Knittin Nurse a Yahoo! Message Send Knittin Nurse a Private Message
I'm currently doing 2 on 2 circs from the toe up--I don't think I'll ever do socks any other way! I am bad about adjusting patterns to my liking and then not remembering what I did for the second one. I tried one sock on the magic loop but I like doing 2 at a time. I'll have to try 2 on one long circular but so far the 2 on 2 is working great for me. Plus I don't have to worry about getting that second one done--that alone was reason enough to convince me! I have both the 2 Socks on 2 Circulars book and the Magic Loop book--both were very easy to understand and I usually have to have someone show me something before I understand it. I think you'll enjoy both methods once you get used to them!

Karen
Go to Top of Page

Knittin Nurse
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  7:22:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Knittin Nurse a Yahoo! Message Send Knittin Nurse a Private Message
I'm currently doing 2 on 2 circs from the toe up--I don't think I'll ever do socks any other way! I am bad about adjusting patterns to my liking and then not remembering what I did for the second one. I tried one sock on the magic loop but I like doing 2 at a time. I'll have to try 2 on one long circular but so far the 2 on 2 is working great for me. Plus I don't have to worry about getting that second one done--that alone was reason enough to convince me! I have both the 2 Socks on 2 Circulars book and the Magic Loop book--both were very easy to understand and I usually have to have someone show me something before I understand it. I think you'll enjoy both methods once you get used to them!

Karen
Go to Top of Page

Knittin Nurse
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Karen
Go to Top of Page

LindaRae
Chatty Knitter

132 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  8:36:50 PM  Show Profile Send LindaRae a Private Message
Hi craftymjw!
I've made a lot of socks on 2 circular needles; I make them from the toe up & think that the combination of those two techniques can't be beat! I learned the 2 circs technique from a video that Joyce Williams made called Socks Knit T to T (top to toe or toe to top). It's so simple when you can see someone doing it! I'd encourage you to try making socks from the toe up also. To me, it is so logical! It's much easier to get a better fit (& it's VERY rewarding being able to try that sock on right from the start). PLUS you don't have to worry about running out of yarn at an important part of the sock; you do the foot first, so you can keep knitting the cuff as long as you have yarn! The best instructions that I've seen for toe-up socks I got in a class on this topic at a fiber festival; just a single, typed sheet. I'd be glad to send one to you, if you would be interested. I haven't tried the 2 on 2 that Knitting Nurse mentioned; that sounds like a GREAT idea!

Best of luck! Linda P
Go to Top of Page

LindaRae
Chatty Knitter

132 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  8:36:50 PM  Show Profile Send LindaRae a Private Message
Hi craftymjw!
I've made a lot of socks on 2 circular needles; I make them from the toe up & think that the combination of those two techniques can't be beat! I learned the 2 circs technique from a video that Joyce Williams made called Socks Knit T to T (top to toe or toe to top). It's so simple when you can see someone doing it! I'd encourage you to try making socks from the toe up also. To me, it is so logical! It's much easier to get a better fit (& it's VERY rewarding being able to try that sock on right from the start). PLUS you don't have to worry about running out of yarn at an important part of the sock; you do the foot first, so you can keep knitting the cuff as long as you have yarn! The best instructions that I've seen for toe-up socks I got in a class on this topic at a fiber festival; just a single, typed sheet. I'd be glad to send one to you, if you would be interested. I haven't tried the 2 on 2 that Knitting Nurse mentioned; that sounds like a GREAT idea!

Best of luck! Linda P
Go to Top of Page

vizzyknits
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  08:10:16 AM  Show Profile Send vizzyknits a Private Message
I have the Socks on Two Circulars book and while it does have a lot of info on the technique, I am not convinced it's a necessary purchase for someone who wants to learn it, unless you decide that you will want to knit some of the attractive sock patterns that are included in the book. I keep my socks pretty simple.

I am including a link to a page that has a very good basic description of the technique, with illustrations. It's really pretty logical, and once you try it, it will become clear. My suggestion would be to try a pair of socks with this as a guide first, and if you find you need more help, spring for one of the little guides.

http://www.charmcitykids.com/whatsnew.html (you'll need to scroll down to the bottom of the page to see it.)
Go to Top of Page

vizzyknits
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  08:10:16 AM  Show Profile Send vizzyknits a Private Message
I have the Socks on Two Circulars book and while it does have a lot of info on the technique, I am not convinced it's a necessary purchase for someone who wants to learn it, unless you decide that you will want to knit some of the attractive sock patterns that are included in the book. I keep my socks pretty simple.

I am including a link to a page that has a very good basic description of the technique, with illustrations. It's really pretty logical, and once you try it, it will become clear. My suggestion would be to try a pair of socks with this as a guide first, and if you find you need more help, spring for one of the little guides.

http://www.charmcitykids.com/whatsnew.html (you'll need to scroll down to the bottom of the page to see it.)
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
909 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  09:23:16 AM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message
Thanks, knitters! Could anybody suggest a good sock yarn? I need all the help I can get!

craftymjw

Keep on knittin'!
The more, the merrier!
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
909 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  09:23:16 AM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message
Thanks, knitters! Could anybody suggest a good sock yarn? I need all the help I can get!

craftymjw

Keep on knittin'!
The more, the merrier!
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
909 Posts

craftymjw

Keep on knittin'!
The more, the merrier!
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  3:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Remember me? I'm the one that always seems to be extolling the virtues of 2 on 2 circs - toe up! I love knitting socks this way, even though I have never tried on dpns. I used the site http://ingridknits.tripod.com/dt.html for my socks (toe up) but if you prefer top down try http://www.needletrax.com/twocirculars.htm
I am knitting a baby singlet in 2 ply (fingering?? Really fine, anyway) at the moment. I started off on dpns but quickly changed to 2 circs. Much easier. I guess you could call me a convert!!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  3:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Remember me? I'm the one that always seems to be extolling the virtues of 2 on 2 circs - toe up! I love knitting socks this way, even though I have never tried on dpns. I used the site http://ingridknits.tripod.com/dt.html for my socks (toe up) but if you prefer top down try http://www.needletrax.com/twocirculars.htm
I am knitting a baby singlet in 2 ply (fingering?? Really fine, anyway) at the moment. I started off on dpns but quickly changed to 2 circs. Much easier. I guess you could call me a convert!!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  4:37:16 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
with a long enough needle you can do 2 socks at one time on a magic loop. That is the way I do all of them now. I have done them on a 24" needle but I don't recommend using one that short when you are learning. If you are going to buy a needle for it, get a 40" addi needle as my first choice, an Inox 40" as my second choice.

You can buy the books if you want to but I am on a strict budget (social security disability) and I have found that you can find most things on the web for free and print them off if you learn better that way or want something at hand for reference. I just bought my first sock book a month or two ago and got "socks, Socks, Socks," for the patterns.

I love Ingrid knits for her double trouble socks and that is where I learned to do toe up socks. There are a lot of other sites that explain the technique also

For a lot of tutorials and patterns, try the sockknitters.com site, but if you sign up for the group, be forewarned, because you will get over a hundred emails a day either individually or in digests. I go to the website to read them when I have time and don't have them delivered to my email box.

I've been using the magic loop technique since they came out with the first circular needle that was soft enough to bend. It wasn't called the magic loop then. My Mom called it: "Fran's lazy way of doing things." So I taught her to knit and made her lazy too.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

with a long enough needle you can do 2 socks at one time on a magic loop. That is the way I do all of them now. I have done them on a 24" needle but I don't recommend using one that short when you are learning. If you are going to buy a needle for it, get a 40" addi needle as my first choice, an Inox 40" as my second choice.

You can buy the books if you want to but I am on a strict budget (social security disability) and I have found that you can find most things on the web for free and print them off if you learn better that way or want something at hand for reference. I just bought my first sock book a month or two ago and got "socks, Socks, Socks," for the patterns.

I love Ingrid knits for her double trouble socks and that is where I learned to do toe up socks. There are a lot of other sites that explain the technique also

For a lot of tutorials and patterns, try the sockknitters.com site, but if you sign up for the group, be forewarned, because you will get over a hundred emails a day either individually or in digests. I go to the website to read them when I have time and don't have them delivered to my email box.

I've been using the magic loop technique since they came out with the first circular needle that was soft enough to bend. It wasn't called the magic loop then. My Mom called it: "Fran's lazy way of doing things." So I taught her to knit and made her lazy too.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

fran

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  7:00:54 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:

KathyR

What kind of heel are you doing? I finished one pair like this with short row heels and I had a terrible time doing the heels. I ended up doing one heel at a time, then going back to knitting 2 together. I would think I would have the same problem if I use the Magic Loop. How did you do it?

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth