Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Sl st tbl
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

twiggyann
Gabber Extraordinaire

427 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  07:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit twiggyann's Homepage Send twiggyann a Private Message
I'm working on the cabled shrug from the fall 2005 issue of Interweave Knits. (This is the link to the preview of the Fall 2005 issue, if you don't remember the shrug and are interested. Otherwise it has no pertinent information at that link. http://www.interweave.com/knit/interweave_knits/preview/2005_fall.asp )Almost from the get go I'm a bit confused. The pattern calls for a cable that's

sl 1 to cn and hold in back, k2, then sl st from cn tbl

How in the world do you slip a stitch through the back loop? Is that any different from slipping it through the front loop (of course it must be, or they wouldn't have specified through the back loop)? Do I slip it as if I'm purling through the back loop? Otherwise, it seems to me it would be just a normal slip.

Thanks!

Slipping off my sanity

Lesley

Twig's Knitting Blog

SFMichael
Gabber Extraordinaire

437 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  10:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit SFMichael's Homepage Send SFMichael a Private Message
You're exactly right that you slip as if to purl through the back loop. But honestly if the stitch is held to the back of the work, it isn't going to show so I can't imagine it does make a significant difference, especially if you are consistent in how you work this throughout the garment.

Michael
http://pages.prodigy.net/maecooper/
Go to Top of Page

twiggyann
Gabber Extraordinaire

427 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  12:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit twiggyann's Homepage Send twiggyann a Private Message
Thanks for the confirmation that slipping through the back loop would be slipping as if to purl through the back loop (which I find incredibly awkward). I typed my question from memory and I messed it up a bit. (The question about tbl was correct so I got the answer I was looking for, but the cable directions as a whole weren't)

The one that is slipped from the cable needle tbl is held in front. For the opposite cable with the stitches held in back, the one that's slipped tbl is from the left needle not the cn.

Anyway, thanks again.

Lesley

Twig's Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

SFMichael
Gabber Extraordinaire

437 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  3:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit SFMichael's Homepage Send SFMichael a Private Message
No problem,

It sounds like the this is intended to give just a little decorative twist to the stitch going over the top of the cable. If you don't care for the twist and find it easier to just slip the stitch the way you normally would, then just ignore the TBL instruciton and slip as to purl.

Michael

Michael
http://pages.prodigy.net/maecooper/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by