Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Short Row Heels -- RPM Socks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mangokiwi
Chatty Knitter

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  10:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit mangokiwi's Homepage Send mangokiwi a Private Message
I'm attempting my first short row heels (I've only ever done heel flaps before) and I'm using the instruction for short row heels in the RPM Socks from this summer's Knitty. I think I'm following the instructions very carefully and I have had to rip it out 3 times and start over. I was wondering if other people had problems in getting the short row heel instructions to work for this pattern or if it was just me.

On a related note, I was curious to know people have a favorite set of instructions for short row heel. I know that some patterns have a "w&t" and I didn't know if that worked better...

Check out my blog!
http://knitting-fun.blogspot.com

Janknit
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  04:24:30 AM  Show Profile Send Janknit a Private Message
I had similar problems with my (so far) one pair of socks, toe up, with short row heels. I printed off every set of instructions I could find, took them on vacation, and finally just accepted the wonkiness of my stitches and moved on. I still would like to finally "get it" so if you find the magic way please post it!
Go to Top of Page

kaidyd
Chatty Knitter

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  06:04:57 AM  Show Profile Send kaidyd a Private Message
I too had read many different methods for doing different versions of the short row heel. I am now most comfortable, both knitting wise and wearing wise, with the Priscilla Gibson-Roberts heel from Simple Socks Plain and Fancy. The "Step by Step instructions for the heel" are clear and easy to follow. You may not think that what you are doing makes sense, but go with what she says. It will work.

If you can't find the book you can still try her technique with the baby sock/bootie pattern from Interweave Knits-summer 2005.

http://www.interweave.com/knit/interweave_knits/back_issues/su_05.asp

The short row yarn over heels and toes are the same as from the book. My cousin loves the pairs of booties I made for her twin boys. They can't kick them off. If you are a subscriber to Interweave Knits there is another article about the heels in the subscriber only section from around 2003. Alas, I let my subscription slip--going to have to fix that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe