Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitted Bracelets
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  4:13:01 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
I thought of toying around with knitted bracelets, since a friend gave me some beads. Has anyone made them? One thing I can't figure out is how to make it stay snug and not lie there limply...I suppose if it's made in a ribbing, it'll be somewhat elastic.

Ideas welcome!

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  4:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I bought a kit but I haven't tried it yet. I only bought it for the directions I wasn't too thrilled with their yarn and bead choices. It uses 0000 dpn needles.

Dee

Go to Top of Page

vizzyknits
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  5:03:15 PM  Show Profile Send vizzyknits a Private Message
I took a class last weekend from Nancie Wiseman on knitted elastic beaded bracelets. We used #2 DPNs and narrow fabric covered elastic thread - the type of elastic that was once knitted into ribbing - with #6 seed beeds (I think). We used garter stitch, adding the beads in every other row. The elastic must be knit with a fairly firm tension to make sure the beads stay on the public side.

Nancie has kits with instructions available on her web site - www.nancieknits.com. The beads can be found in any bead shop, but the elastic is harder to come by.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  06:33:44 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Why not use fixation yarn? Is that enough elastic? You can also get the elastic carry along for socks on the web. I think it is Patternworks that carries it.

fran

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  08:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Gotta admit, I've never seen a totally knitted bracelet. My DD makes those "friendship" ones out of embroidery floss -- sort of hand woven, I think. She anchors one end to a pant leg (thigh) with a safety pin and 'weaves' up from there. I wonder if that would work with knitting, or if it would stretch too much?

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

sabknits
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  12:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit sabknits's Homepage Send sabknits a Private Message
I've knitted AND crocheted bracelets with wire and with metallic coated elastic thread and beads and buttons. Both techniques were similar. I DID thread the beads onto the wire first, but did NOT thread the buttons onto the elastic thread....added them by pulling a loop of thread through the button hole with a dental floss threader. LOVE the look, especially with the buttons!! Very Retro! Metal buttons tend to "jingle", which is fun with the "click" from the plastic buttons....have had RAVE reviews every time I've worn a bracelet! Currently have a necklace in the finishing stages...green & brown & mauve buttons, mostly medium sizes, though some small metallics, some large too. Used a toggle fastener, connected to necklace with split rings. I like to use magnetic fasteners on the bracelets when using wire or thread that's not elastic. Simple garter stitch works fine. I don't worry too much about keeping the buttons or beads on the "public" side....I find that they have a tendency to move around anyway. sab

sab
Go to Top of Page

smk107
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  7:10:04 PM  Show Profile Send smk107 a Private Message
quote:

I bought a kit but I haven't tried it yet. I only bought it for the directions I wasn't too thrilled with their yarn and bead choices. It uses 0000 dpn needles.

Dee

Go to Top of Page

smk107
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  7:10:43 PM  Show Profile Send smk107 a Private Message
[quote]
where did you find a kit at for the bracelts?

Go to Top of Page

mudcat
New Pal

37 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  7:50:35 PM  Show Profile Send mudcat a Private Message
Sab,

That sounds like a great use for vintage buttons which I collect. I literally have hundreds of them.

Thanks for the idea. I will do some experimenting sometime next month.

~Alice

My Textile Journal
Go to Top of Page

sethredge@earthlink.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  8:40:20 PM  Show Profile Send sethredge@earthlink.net a Private Message
I'm in the middle of this project. Very, very small needles and nylon cord type of crochet thread actually seem to work fairly well. Just a loop and button closure to close the bracelet. Beads can just be strung in the middle between the knitted parts or sewn on after.
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  07:54:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
smk107,

My kit is for a knitted bangle that stretches just enough to roll over your hand, otherwise it isn't really a stretchy bracelet. I bought mine from Patternworks. They have a few bead/thread color options. I found the link for you.

http://www.patternworks.com/PWShopping/partsview.asp?action=lookup&partno=200041&subject=&catpos=

Dee
Go to Top of Page

anotherbev
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  7:56:53 PM  Show Profile Send anotherbev a Private Message
I've been looking at www.wyrknittr.com, because they've got an interesting "gizmo" that works on the knitting spool principal, but uses very fine wire. It produces a knitted tube, and it appears that you can drop the beads in the tube and "squish" them into place, or work them onto the wire and then make the jewelry. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one, just 'cos it looks like a lot of fun.
anotherbev

Go to Top of Page

Wendy Jane
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  05:29:25 AM  Show Profile Send Wendy Jane a Private Message
I've been really tempted to buy the WyrKnitter too. They certainly have a large advertising budget -- I see it in every knitting mag on the market. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has one. It looks like fun, and an easy way to knit bracelets with beads.

Go to Top of Page

sharienne
Warming Up

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2003 :  3:49:40 PM  Show Profile Send sharienne a Private Message
I haven't posted in a while - good to be abck :)

I have just started doing the knitting and beads as described by Carol Duvall - here's the website.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_needlework_knitting/article/0,1789,HGTV_3263_1397466,00.html

as for the wyr knitr - I've seen some bad reviews that says it falls apart easily - haven't tried it for that reason. As Carol shows - you can make your own knitter or use those plastic ones we used as kids.

BTW - I really am pleased with jewelrysupply.com - got my order quickly and high quality semi-precious stone beads were gorgeous - good price, too.

Shari

Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2003 :  5:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Cool, thanks for sharing that link. I met the woman that made the kit I bought. She was at the Stitches Midwest Market. Boy, she had all kinds of color combinations. I asked her if there were advantages of either the crocheted version or the knitted version and I thought it was interesting that she said the knitted bracelets have a memory and although they stretch to go over your wrist they always shrink right back.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2003 :  6:16:05 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Marie: Years ago I made a beaded bracelet but on a loom. Can you believe, well you know me so you can, that I have a bead weaving loom. Its very small I should add. Not something that takes up the living room--its about 12 inches long. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  2:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Skacel has some gorgeous necklace kits! see them at www.yarnexpressions.com
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php
(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
New Pal

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  10:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sarah's Homepage Send Sarah a Private Message
I have made icord braclets out of both embroidery floss and hemp - not too difficult and I liked the results on both. The hemp makes it a little stiffer, which is good I think.

~Sarah

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?