Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Desert Island Stash
 Desert Island Stash
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  9:25:51 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I'm not sure if this topic will be brought forward so I will retype. Please forgive if this is doubled. I love this question...it's a hard one. If you were stranded on a Tropical Island and could only bring one type of yarn (in unlimited quantities-thank goodness!!!), one type of needle, and one book. What would they be and why??

Vicky(new knitter-HELP!!)

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  05:52:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
What a fun question!

Hmmm, I would have to give my answer in what currently interests me - it could be completely different in 6 months or so. Right now my love is Rowan cotton glace, with bamboo needles probably in a size 2. As to the book, I think either Ann Budd's Handy Book of Patterns or one of Debbie Bliss's baby books would do quite nicely!

Why? I'm completely in love with the way cotton knits up - plus it is a great yarn to knit with in the summer (and on a desert island, which I'm assuming is tropical)as it's not a "hot" yarn to work with. I can't work with it on anything but bamboo, but that could just be me. With the Budd book, I could design to my heart's content. Of course, it would help if I had a stitch pattern book too. The DB books just make me happy!

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  05:52:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
What a fun question!

Hmmm, I would have to give my answer in what currently interests me - it could be completely different in 6 months or so. Right now my love is Rowan cotton glace, with bamboo needles probably in a size 2. As to the book, I think either Ann Budd's Handy Book of Patterns or one of Debbie Bliss's baby books would do quite nicely!

Why? I'm completely in love with the way cotton knits up - plus it is a great yarn to knit with in the summer (and on a desert island, which I'm assuming is tropical)as it's not a "hot" yarn to work with. I can't work with it on anything but bamboo, but that could just be me. With the Budd book, I could design to my heart's content. Of course, it would help if I had a stitch pattern book too. The DB books just make me happy!

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

What a fun question!

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  08:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Haven't thought about this for a while but hmmm...Even though it's tropical (i.e., hot), I think I'd bring either merino or shetland in a dk weight and "Folk Vests"...and knit each one! (Presuming unlimited quantities also means every colour available?! )

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  08:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Haven't thought about this for a while but hmmm...Even though it's tropical (i.e., hot), I think I'd bring either merino or shetland in a dk weight and "Folk Vests"...and knit each one! (Presuming unlimited quantities also means every colour available?! )

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  7:29:19 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
[(Presuming unlimited quantities also means every colour available?! )

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
[/quote]Of Course that's what I meant

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  7:29:19 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  3:48:31 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Great thread!!

I would bring Mission Falls 1824 Wool (chosen for its availability in a myriad of great colors, quick speed in knitting up, softness, and superwash qualities), a pair of size 8 straight Clover bamboo needles (would have chosen circular needles if were allowed to bring 2 pairs), and Barbara Walker's 2nd Treasury (definitely useful for passing the time!).

Looking forward to seeing more responses...
Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  3:48:31 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Great thread!!

I would bring Mission Falls 1824 Wool (chosen for its availability in a myriad of great colors, quick speed in knitting up, softness, and superwash qualities), a pair of size 8 straight Clover bamboo needles (would have chosen circular needles if were allowed to bring 2 pairs), and Barbara Walker's 2nd Treasury (definitely useful for passing the time!).

Looking forward to seeing more responses...
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  07:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Vicky,

Because it's a desert island I would have to pick a thick cotton yarn, probably a size 9-10 needle and for a book Big Book of Knitting. I'd knit myself a hammock to sleep in and a big fishing net.

But...if I was stranded in a cabin in the mountains with lots of snow I'd have to have wool yarn and a 10 1/2 needle. You just know I'd be felting with it!

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  07:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Vicky,

Because it's a desert island I would have to pick a thick cotton yarn, probably a size 9-10 needle and for a book Big Book of Knitting. I'd knit myself a hammock to sleep in and a big fishing net.

But...if I was stranded in a cabin in the mountains with lots of snow I'd have to have wool yarn and a 10 1/2 needle. You just know I'd be felting with it!

Dee
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  12:40:57 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
I'm totally taken with 100% superwash merino in dk weight which is what I'm working with now. But I just received my order of qivuit and although I haven't knit with it yet, it's flat-out gorgeous and also a contender. For needles, it would have to be my trusty Addi turbos although I understand that qiviut is best knit on bamboo or wooden needles because it's slippery. As for a book, I'm not sure but I'm leaning toward something entertaining and educational by the incomparable Elizabeth Zimmerman.

Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  12:40:57 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
I'm totally taken with 100% superwash merino in dk weight which is what I'm working with now. But I just received my order of qivuit and although I haven't knit with it yet, it's flat-out gorgeous and also a contender. For needles, it would have to be my trusty Addi turbos although I understand that qiviut is best knit on bamboo or wooden needles because it's slippery. As for a book, I'm not sure but I'm leaning toward something entertaining and educational by the incomparable Elizabeth Zimmerman.

Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  11:32:48 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
Well this would be my chance to knit some of the Alice Starmore designs which sit, neglected, on my bookshelf. So I'd probably vote for shetland yarn in all the colors of the rainbow, a good bamboo circular and Alice's Celtic Knits.

Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  11:32:48 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
Well this would be my chance to knit some of the Alice Starmore designs which sit, neglected, on my bookshelf. So I'd probably vote for shetland yarn in all the colors of the rainbow, a good bamboo circular and Alice's Celtic Knits.

Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

tintalle
New Pal

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  5:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit tintalle's Homepage Send tintalle a Private Message
given that my projects have been using dk weight yarns, I think I would have to stay with Rowan Wool Cotton, a pair of 4mm Swallow casein straight needles, and a Debbie Bliss pattern book. If I was stranded in a blizzard, I think it would have to be the combination of Rowan Big Wool and some 8mm/12mm needles.

before I get nudged to introduce myself, here goes: I started knitting last year in October and I progressed from scarf and hat making to sweaters. I'm currently working on two sweaters from the Debbie Bliss number four pattern book.

Go to Top of Page

tintalle
New Pal

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  5:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit tintalle's Homepage Send tintalle a Private Message
given that my projects have been using dk weight yarns, I think I would have to stay with Rowan Wool Cotton, a pair of 4mm Swallow casein straight needles, and a Debbie Bliss pattern book. If I was stranded in a blizzard, I think it would have to be the combination of Rowan Big Wool and some 8mm/12mm needles.

before I get nudged to introduce myself, here goes: I started knitting last year in October and I progressed from scarf and hat making to sweaters. I'm currently working on two sweaters from the Debbie Bliss number four pattern book.

Go to Top of Page

tintalle
New Pal

Canada
21 Posts

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?