Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 New Fall Interweave Knits
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

platys
Seriously Hooked

USA
719 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  9:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit platys's Homepage Send platys a Private Message
I wasn't sure where to put this topic, so I'll just stick it here.

I just receieved my new Interweave Knits in the mail - I really like it. There are more than a few sweaters that i want to make. Interestingly enough, my boyfriend expressed approval for two sweaters:

1. Diminishing Cables by Annie Modesitt. He _loves_ this sweater, and not only because the model is quite shapely in it. After we examined it a bit, we decided that the reason why he likes it is because its very Star Trekie. The neckline and shaping is a bit reminescent of your typical Star Trek uniform. It's pretty futuristic, but it isn't crazy either. My biggest problem is that right now, I can't find the yarn that it calls for (GGH Merino Soft) anywhere - at least, not the full color line. I did use handy dandy google to find a few sites that had a limited range on sale. I found Muench's website, but none of the webpage stockists they listed had it. Of course, Patternworks website is hopeless. At the 7.95 a ball it appears to be going for, I might have to save up. :)

2. He _loved_ the cover sweater from Men In Knits. Like, drooled over it. Let's hope it either comes in a 3X size (he likes his clothes baggy), or I'll need to take a crash course in modifying patterns. :)

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  02:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I liked that cover sweater too - but it's lambs pride bulky - and I knit BigDarling a vest out of it - he aint called BD for nothing, and that vest weighed a ton. I don't live in a cold enough place to wear something like that. Sigh. But i love the idea of an aran style sweater that knits up fast.

I also liked the more elaborate cabled sweater further along - (I just saw the library copy so I can't remember who designed it or what page).

I loved Annie's sweater - thought it looked just like her too - like something she would design - I've been watching her designs grow more frequent and I'm beginning to get a feel for her style, much like I can recognize Nicki Epstein's work. It's a geometry thing.

And what do you all think about the use of models of a certain maturity? Interesting and rather exciting, I thought. A bold move and quite pleasing to me.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  02:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I liked that cover sweater too - but it's lambs pride bulky - and I knit BigDarling a vest out of it - he aint called BD for nothing, and that vest weighed a ton. I don't live in a cold enough place to wear something like that. Sigh. But i love the idea of an aran style sweater that knits up fast.

I also liked the more elaborate cabled sweater further along - (I just saw the library copy so I can't remember who designed it or what page).

I loved Annie's sweater - thought it looked just like her too - like something she would design - I've been watching her designs grow more frequent and I'm beginning to get a feel for her style, much like I can recognize Nicki Epstein's work. It's a geometry thing.

And what do you all think about the use of models of a certain maturity? Interesting and rather exciting, I thought. A bold move and quite pleasing to me.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lindsey-Brooke
Chatty Knitter

223 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  05:23:32 AM  Show Profile Send Lindsey-Brooke a Private Message
I've been so anxious to see the new issue with Pam Allen at the helm! Fingers crossed it comes this week! Thanks for the sneak-peek!

Go to Top of Page

Lindsey-Brooke
Chatty Knitter

223 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  05:23:32 AM  Show Profile Send Lindsey-Brooke a Private Message
I've been so anxious to see the new issue with Pam Allen at the helm! Fingers crossed it comes this week! Thanks for the sneak-peek!

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  05:57:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Ooooooh! Gotta go find it! Mags always seem to take a while coming north of the border. Since it gets fall-ish sooner up here, I figure we should go first!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  05:57:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Ooooooh! Gotta go find it! Mags always seem to take a while coming north of the border. Since it gets fall-ish sooner up here, I figure we should go first!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  06:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I've only glanced through it but at first glance I'd say "Thumbs Up". It looks like a nice issue.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  06:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I've only glanced through it but at first glance I'd say "Thumbs Up". It looks like a nice issue.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Tweedles
Warming Up

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  07:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tweedles's Homepage Send Tweedles a Private Message
I received my copy of the Fall 2003 IK in the mail yesterday, and what a treat! Talk about the Smithsonian of knitting magazines!

Because I am still a novice knitter I read the magazine mostly for its great articles and beautiful photography.

As an English major I never thought I would enjoy an article about math and science (and knitting) - but the article "Geek Chic" by Brenda Dayne was a pleasure to read! I am copying this article for my math professor step-father because I am so convinced he will find it interesting!

Kudos to new editor Pam Allen!

-Sandi-Cassil

Go to Top of Page

Tweedles
Warming Up

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  07:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tweedles's Homepage Send Tweedles a Private Message
I received my copy of the Fall 2003 IK in the mail yesterday, and what a treat! Talk about the Smithsonian of knitting magazines!

Because I am still a novice knitter I read the magazine mostly for its great articles and beautiful photography.

As an English major I never thought I would enjoy an article about math and science (and knitting) - but the article "Geek Chic" by Brenda Dayne was a pleasure to read! I am copying this article for my math professor step-father because I am so convinced he will find it interesting!

Kudos to new editor Pam Allen!

-Sandi-Cassil

Go to Top of Page

katxena
Chatty Knitter

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  11:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit katxena's Homepage Send katxena a Private Message
I hate to be the odd one out here, but I was disapointed.

One reason I have liked IK so much in the past is that the photographs show all the details of the garment -- you can see how the hem, sleeves, neckline, etc. are all finished. It's as if the photos were actually taken by a knitter. This isn't generally true of other knitting magazines.

While there's usually 1 or 2 photos in IK that hide some detail, it seems like every sweater in this issue is poorly photographed. The photos are lovely -- don't get me wrong -- but they don't show the details.

For example, in the picture of "Indonesian Diamonds" you can't see the hem -- there's something interesting going on there, but you can't see what it looks like. The picture of Byzantine Bazic hides the sholdures, the pictures of the leaf coat give no sense of how it looks closed, the picture of the Angora Wrap Cardigan doesn't provide a good sense of how it wraps or what it looks like closed.

Some of the pictures were great and very helpful -- the short-row striped sweater, the Chinese sweater (which I think I'm going to make), and the capelet in particular were nicely photographed.

But overall, I'm disappointed to see the one thing I like most about this magazine change.

Kris
http://www.papaya-palace.com
Go to Top of Page

katxena
Chatty Knitter

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  11:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit katxena's Homepage Send katxena a Private Message
I hate to be the odd one out here, but I was disapointed.

One reason I have liked IK so much in the past is that the photographs show all the details of the garment -- you can see how the hem, sleeves, neckline, etc. are all finished. It's as if the photos were actually taken by a knitter. This isn't generally true of other knitting magazines.

While there's usually 1 or 2 photos in IK that hide some detail, it seems like every sweater in this issue is poorly photographed. The photos are lovely -- don't get me wrong -- but they don't show the details.

For example, in the picture of "Indonesian Diamonds" you can't see the hem -- there's something interesting going on there, but you can't see what it looks like. The picture of Byzantine Bazic hides the sholdures, the pictures of the leaf coat give no sense of how it looks closed, the picture of the Angora Wrap Cardigan doesn't provide a good sense of how it wraps or what it looks like closed.

Some of the pictures were great and very helpful -- the short-row striped sweater, the Chinese sweater (which I think I'm going to make), and the capelet in particular were nicely photographed.

But overall, I'm disappointed to see the one thing I like most about this magazine change.

Kris
http://www.papaya-palace.com
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  08:27:23 AM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
I enjoyed the magazine overall and found a couple things I would like to make: the Chinese sweater for sure, and the somewhat Gilligan's-style hat and mittens set. Many of the sweaters are beyond my abiities, but I liked the articles and the ads. Most of all, I just love getting it in my mailbox.

PattiG
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

I enjoyed the magazine overall and found a couple things I would like to make: the Chinese sweater for sure, and the somewhat Gilligan's-style hat and mittens set. Many of the sweaters are beyond my abiities, but I liked the articles and the ads. Most of all, I just love getting it in my mailbox.

PattiG
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

PattiG
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

PattiG
Go to Top of Page

waterlily
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  12:12:30 PM  Show Profile Send waterlily a Private Message
Oh, I really like this issue of Interweave Knits. Does anyone know where I could purchase a copy here in Canada?? I'm not sure I'm ready to suscribe to it yet.
Thanks

Go to Top of Page

waterlily
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  12:12:30 PM  Show Profile Send waterlily a Private Message
Oh, I really like this issue of Interweave Knits. Does anyone know where I could purchase a copy here in Canada?? I'm not sure I'm ready to suscribe to it yet.
Thanks

Go to Top of Page

waterlily
New Pal

42 Posts

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

waterlily
New Pal

42 Posts

Thanks

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.