Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Mohair substitute
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LinKnit
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  10:07:11 AM  Show Profile Send LinKnit a Private Message
Hi All!

I need a substitute for mohair that I can use on the bulky knitting machine. I have a pattern for a jacket knit on the bulky that uses 4 yarns in a 1x1 fairisle pattern, but I'm allergic to mohair. The pattern uses a shiny rayon, thin metallic and mohair knit together as color A, and a pebble cotton rayon blend for color B. I love the look of this jacket, but hate the sleeves, so I'm going to change them.
LindaM

Raymie
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  08:32:52 AM  Show Profile Send Raymie a Private Message
Hmm...LinKnit,...good topic and I've been anxiously excited to hear the replies, but could it be there is no substitute? I recently just experienced my own mohair substitute lesson. I'm knitting the Shoulder Warmer Shawl from Nancie Wiseman's Knitted Shawls, Stoles, & Scarves. The shawl is for my Grandma who lives in Hawaii, so I thought it would be nice in a cotton blend. Went to the yarn store, bought bulky cotton, knitted a perfect gauge swatch and started the shawl. By row 13, I quickly realized this was not going to work at all. It looked more like a potholder! In hindsight, I feel like I should've known better. When I went to return the yarn, the yarn store woman told me that mohair and ribbon yarn are the two yarns one just can't substitute according to gauge. I spent a lot of time surfing the net for something and ended up settling for Jaeger's Mohair Art - 50% mohair, 50% nylon. It's at least machine washable, but for your case still has mohair. Well, let's not lose hope. Maybe a designer spinner out there is up for a challenge? Got my fingers crossed, Raymie
Go to Top of Page

Raymie
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  08:32:52 AM  Show Profile Send Raymie a Private Message
Hmm...LinKnit,...good topic and I've been anxiously excited to hear the replies, but could it be there is no substitute? I recently just experienced my own mohair substitute lesson. I'm knitting the Shoulder Warmer Shawl from Nancie Wiseman's Knitted Shawls, Stoles, & Scarves. The shawl is for my Grandma who lives in Hawaii, so I thought it would be nice in a cotton blend. Went to the yarn store, bought bulky cotton, knitted a perfect gauge swatch and started the shawl. By row 13, I quickly realized this was not going to work at all. It looked more like a potholder! In hindsight, I feel like I should've known better. When I went to return the yarn, the yarn store woman told me that mohair and ribbon yarn are the two yarns one just can't substitute according to gauge. I spent a lot of time surfing the net for something and ended up settling for Jaeger's Mohair Art - 50% mohair, 50% nylon. It's at least machine washable, but for your case still has mohair. Well, let's not lose hope. Maybe a designer spinner out there is up for a challenge? Got my fingers crossed, Raymie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe