Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Frugal knitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

La Tricoteuse
Warming Up

52 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  6:17:39 PM  Show Profile Send La Tricoteuse a Private Message
Hello knitters all,
Sitting here in the sweltering heat I have been consoling myself with the thought that surely winter must come eventually. To reassure myself of this fact I've been planning my winter clothes. Since I've just moved from Florida to a place that actually has winter, goody!, this has been very interesting. However, I've come to the realization that there's no way I can afford to knit all the things I'd like to. Sigh. In fact I can barely afford to use anything pricier than your standard Wal-mart fare. But I'm determined to use wool, even if it means sitting in the dark a lot. Which (finally) brings me to my query.
How do you keep the cost of knitting down, but still use good quality yarn?
I've been thinking that if I stuck to one style (Aran, fair isle, or whatever), then that might be less expensive, less books to buy, etc. Along the same lines, if I mostly used the same brand (or at least the same weight) of yarn then I would need fewer needles, and would have an easier time using up leftovers. Would that work? Does anyone else do this?
Which brings up another question. I just love the complicated and intricate things like Aran, Fair Isle, and Scandinavian knitting, but it seems to be that these use a lot more yarn that plain-er knitting. I know cables take up extra yarn, good for warmth, bad for budget. I've not yet made any Fair Isle things, but it seems like they would take twice as much yarn as a one color sweater, is this so?
Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated!

orange
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  6:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit orange's Homepage Send orange a Private Message
Iknow exactly where you are coming from. When I started knitting, I only bought yarn at Wal*Mart or Hobby Lobby. The thing is that you can make some really nice stuff out of Lion Brand Yarn-they have wool-and as far as instruction goes, I got most of my stuff off the 'net. Absolutely free! They have patterns, instructions, everything on various websites around. That is how I did it. I still don't spend a whole lot on yarn or patterns.
Go to Top of Page

orange
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  6:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit orange's Homepage Send orange a Private Message
Iknow exactly where you are coming from. When I started knitting, I only bought yarn at Wal*Mart or Hobby Lobby. The thing is that you can make some really nice stuff out of Lion Brand Yarn-they have wool-and as far as instruction goes, I got most of my stuff off the 'net. Absolutely free! They have patterns, instructions, everything on various websites around. That is how I did it. I still don't spend a whole lot on yarn or patterns.
Go to Top of Page

orange
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  7:00:27 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Patons Classic wool is a nice basic soft wool that costs less than $6 for 100 grams. You can make a sweater with maybe 7 skeins dependingon the size. You can get it at Beehive, Wool-Tyme, Smiley's on the internet. The first 2 sites are Canadian.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  7:00:27 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Patons Classic wool is a nice basic soft wool that costs less than $6 for 100 grams. You can make a sweater with maybe 7 skeins dependingon the size. You can get it at Beehive, Wool-Tyme, Smiley's on the internet. The first 2 sites are Canadian.

Anita

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Anita

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  8:05:33 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
It's definitely hard to compromise the cost of yarn these days, especially since I tend to gravitate toward expensive or luxury yarns. I always try to buy yarn I want on sale or from EBay where I know for sure I'll get it at a discounted price. I have no problem hunting down the best price for any given yarn, even if it takes me a couple of days. But when all is said or done, knitting is still a pretty expensive "hobby" for me to have...

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

It's definitely hard to compromise the cost of yarn these days, especially since I tend to gravitate toward expensive or luxury yarns. I always try to buy yarn I want on sale or from EBay where I know for sure I'll get it at a discounted price. I have no problem hunting down the best price for any given yarn, even if it takes me a couple of days. But when all is said or done, knitting is still a pretty expensive "hobby" for me to have...

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Go to Top of Page

Dot
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  10:27:55 PM  Show Profile Send Dot a Private Message
I'll second Anita on the Paton's Classic Wool. The 100 grams is a whopping 223 or 224 yards. Merino. Knits nicely and comes in lots of colors. Beehive, which Anita mentioned, sells a swatch card which is worth buying, I think. http://www.beehivewool.com

I've ordered from them and found both the prices ($4 and change a ball when I ordered on the Paton's) and service excellent.

There are some nice patterns in Paton's own booklets using this yarn. Also, Kirsten Cowan specifies this yarn in several lovely patterns in "Irrestistible Knits."

Go to Top of Page

Dot
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

I'll second Anita on the Paton's Classic Wool. The 100 grams is a whopping 223 or 224 yards. Merino. Knits nicely and comes in lots of colors. Beehive, which Anita mentioned, sells a swatch card which is worth buying, I think. http://www.beehivewool.com

I've ordered from them and found both the prices ($4 and change a ball when I ordered on the Paton's) and service excellent.

There are some nice patterns in Paton's own booklets using this yarn. Also, Kirsten Cowan specifies this yarn in several lovely patterns in "Irrestistible Knits."

Go to Top of Page

Dot
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  10:38:45 PM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
quote:

However, I've come to the realization that there's no way I can afford to knit all the things I'd like to. Sigh. In fact I can barely afford to use anything pricier than your standard Wal-mart fare. But I'm determined to use wool, even if it means sitting in the dark a lot. Which (finally) brings me to my query.

Like you, I prefer to use wool when I can but there are some pretty nice blends out there which contain some wool but are generally less expensive than pure wool. As others have mentioned, eBay has some good bargains if you're patient. And two of my favorite online yarn stores, Smileys http://www.smileysyarns.com/ and Elann http://secure.elann.com/frames.asp both specialize in closeouts and oddballs. Their selection isn't as great as other stores but their prices are fantastic, more than making up for that shortcoming. If you decide to go that route, check the sites often because they're constantly introducing new merchandise.

Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

quote:

However, I've come to the realization that there's no way I can afford to knit all the things I'd like to. Sigh. In fact I can barely afford to use anything pricier than your standard Wal-mart fare. But I'm determined to use wool, even if it means sitting in the dark a lot. Which (finally) brings me to my query.

Like you, I prefer to use wool when I can but there are some pretty nice blends out there which contain some wool but are generally less expensive than pure wool. As others have mentioned, eBay has some good bargains if you're patient. And two of my favorite online yarn stores, Smileys http://www.smileysyarns.com/ and Elann http://secure.elann.com/frames.asp both specialize in closeouts and oddballs. Their selection isn't as great as other stores but their prices are fantastic, more than making up for that shortcoming. If you decide to go that route, check the sites often because they're constantly introducing new merchandise.

Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

quote:

Go to Top of Page

Waffles
New Pal

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  01:02:22 AM  Show Profile Send Waffles a Private Message
Hi there,

Dont know how you feel about ordering on line, but Colourway in the UK (www.colourway.co.uk) do excellent sale deals on Rowan and Jaeger, and there's no tax on orders sent outside the UK. They do shade cards too, and most of R & J yarns are top quality wools and cottons

Hope this helps,

Kathleen

xXx
Go to Top of Page

Waffles
New Pal

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Hi there,

Dont know how you feel about ordering on line, but Colourway in the UK (www.colourway.co.uk) do excellent sale deals on Rowan and Jaeger, and there's no tax on orders sent outside the UK. They do shade cards too, and most of R & J yarns are top quality wools and cottons

Hope this helps,

Kathleen

xXx
Go to Top of Page

Waffles
New Pal

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Hi there,

Hope this helps,

Kathleen

xXx
Go to Top of Page

OryxRun
Seriously Hooked

USA
625 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  02:46:40 AM  Show Profile Send OryxRun a Private Message
La Tricoteuse, Welcome to the Forum. Where were you in Florida and where did you move to?
If those great ideas don't work...I've saved a lot by getting patterns through the net and I visit the library a lot. If there is a book I really really want I will check a second hand book store, Amazon (if the price is right), I'm sure you know how to shop for a discount. The only thing I really wanted to learn was how to make socks and I finally ordered a video (i am a visual learner). Well anyway, I hear it said here that some equipment like knitting pins (i like that term) can be made or some times found at the Good Will or some other thrift store (the stores by me haven't had any). Some of the ladies have recycled their yarn. Or you could always make a wish list. Whenever a holiday or gift giving occasion rolls around make sure the important people around you know what you want.

Mary

Go to Top of Page

OryxRun
Seriously Hooked

USA
625 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  02:46:40 AM  Show Profile Send OryxRun a Private Message
La Tricoteuse, Welcome to the Forum. Where were you in Florida and where did you move to?
If those great ideas don't work...I've saved a lot by getting patterns through the net and I visit the library a lot. If there is a book I really really want I will check a second hand book store, Amazon (if the price is right), I'm sure you know how to shop for a discount. The only thing I really wanted to learn was how to make socks and I finally ordered a video (i am a visual learner). Well anyway, I hear it said here that some equipment like knitting pins (i like that term) can be made or some times found at the Good Will or some other thrift store (the stores by me haven't had any). Some of the ladies have recycled their yarn. Or you could always make a wish list. Whenever a holiday or gift giving occasion rolls around make sure the important people around you know what you want.

Mary

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.