Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet technique questions
 Hairpin Lace help please!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

khoff
Chatty Knitter

177 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  12:24:39 PM  Show Profile Send khoff a Private Message
I'm trying to make a scarf from two strips of hairpin lace, made from a two colors of fairly chunky yarn. I have linked the two strips togeterher and it looks great -- but how do I keep the outer loops from eventually coming undone? All the instructions I see for edges involve catching the loops and crocheting an edge, but then you don't have loose loops any more, and that is the look I want. Any suggestions?

As an alternative -- is there a way to create the strips so you only have loops on one side, and the other edge of each strip is solid? Then you could interweave the two strips and have the decorative part in the middle and the edges would just be solid, not loopy, but not require any additional finishing.

Thanks for help you can offer.

--Jackie

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  6:12:54 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
Most of the hairpin lace instructions I have are from the 60s and 70s.

In general, if you have made conventional hairpin lace, by turning one complete revolution around the hairpin loom and then working a sc at the center. This locks in each set of loops and you can either work over them for decoration or leave them loose.

I don't have any basic instructions around, but am working from memory so I can't give you a lot more unless I work some samples. Let me know if this helps.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

khoff
Chatty Knitter

177 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  7:22:52 PM  Show Profile Send khoff a Private Message
Well, that might help in future projects -- the instructions I have involve just turning the work around half-way, so maybe turning all the way would make a more secure stitch -- I can't really tell without doing it. Unfortunately, it doesn't help with the one I've already made! I suppose I could try a small piece the other way and take this out and start over if I have to. Thanks! -- Jackie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe